I swear, if this phone doesn't work...

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am leaving the Note 7 (actually still have it even though I have switch to my wifes iphone) and heading to the Pixel XL. I actually loved the n7. Couldn't have been happier, even with all that happened I would be willing to wait it out for another one( I know its done, just saying). The phone alone is worth it. But if you add all the free stuff I got and the time spent getting to use this phone. Amazing.

So now I am baited on this Pixel XL. I have had to use the Iphone 5s, which I know is not a newer version, but the ios is 10.2 or whatever. Look I am not bashing the iphone as a device that isnt worth it for anyone. I get it. I see why my mother can use this phone and just about anyone else. It is clean, smooth, integrated and consistent. If it was 8 years ago and all I wanted was a phone that works, maybe. It just feels like many steps back. A futuristic version of what was bad 10 years ago with OS's. It gets even worse with the newer version with no headphone jack.

Now I see the Pixel XL as the best option for me at this time coming from the N7 and not wanting to go to apple. I had the s7e as a loaner and it felt like the step back it was. I bet the N5 would have felt the same way. I usually get new phones every year, just hadn't had a new new phone. Of course I picked the N7 as that and look how I was rewarded.

So now the I sit and wait for the latest new phone. With promise of greatness of some kind. Is it going to go down the path of apple? Will google step into the shadow of success the iphone has cast or will it take a new path? All this is relative, nobody is making phones for me. This coming from someone that believed in the palm pre. Not in its ability to overtake apple, samsung or anyone. But in its ability to be an open concept device with design and features independent of convention. I realize the iphone was such a device of difference. But it was and is done so with the model of I know better then you about which you want or need. It never feels like apple is listening to its customers. If they do its only when it suits them and their monopolistic goals.

The nexus devices always seem to be showcases of what google expected the future of android should be. This process gave everyone else a goal to reach for. But it did not stop others from listening and creating differently. It gave many manufacturers a head start on ripening there own skills within the ecosystem. And then to there credit, they then switched to another manufacturer. Maybe for reasons much more monitory or simplistic.

Now we have the Pixel and Pixel XL. I am looking at them as maybe the Cadillac of HTC. Maybe not as google would put it and without being able to compare the 2, maybe not a fair comparison. But we all know its made with close ties to HTC. In theory google may step further and further away from HTC with further versions, but we know its rooted in HTC. As the pixel lines advance, will we see more of apples games or will google continue to expand its reliance on diversity?

All I know is this better arrive on time, work, not be recalled and meet my overly excited expectations. Most importantly let me get rid of this Apple Newton.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
for me, yes of course I do hope i like it and it works, but as the collective I hope it is the right step in a new direction.

1dtbrown

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am not really concerned at all. The Pixel line of phones will get the job done. I can't think of a better Combo, Google and HTC.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not really concerned at all. The Pixel line of phones will get the job done. I can't think of a better Combo, Google and HTC.

Palm and HP? wait no I am sorry bad flashback. I am sure this phone will be good. Not sure about great. The N7 was great. The s7e was good. I choose to go for the pixel xl in hopes that it would be great, but knowing it would be good. In terms of macro and micro. MIcro is as stated. Its the Macro I am philosophizing about.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I believe that the pixels will be OK for you...with the exception of the software updates.. Not anymore than that.

Is it revolutionary.. Not hardly.

Is it futuristic.. I don't think so.

It offers a different approach to Android.. Googles new vision for AI first and foremost in their dreams..

Being a Verizon branded phone means that you really don't have the opportunity to work with ASOP for a true Android experience, and not being a Samsung means that you are stuck with not being able to theme your phone throughout the system as easily.

Will it work.. Sure.. Will it explode, that's always a possibility.

Will it satisfy you like the Note 7.. I rather doubt that it will tick all the checkmarks that make you feel for the Note..

Personally I will never buy a carrier branded phone again.. Even if the cost is double buying outright.. But since I don't have to since I can buy and finance straight from Google and use on Verizon... that's a moot point....

I'm sorry if this upsets you or anyone else for that matter... I just can't see anyone really being happy with something else if they think that the note series is the "best" they think there is...

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from the N7 as well. I am excited for the Pixel XL, though not awfully confident about what I am moving to at this point. On the other hand:

With promise of greatness of some kind

I am looking at them as maybe the Cadillac of HTC

If it were me (and it kind of is me too :) you might want to temper your expectations by just a bit :), particularly since you are coming form a N7 as I am, and I loved that phone.

The Pixel is a phone that will hopefully be very good, but will probably just be a bit different from all the other Android phones, and will certainly have it's own positives and negatives. I hope for you - and for me - that the Pixel is awesome. We will see...

At this point I'll settle for a good camera and good battery life...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
For me, I find that my threshold shifts over time. I used to be all-in on on high-performance sedans, and now that I drive a small sports car - that doesn't check off a bunch of my previous criteria - I wouldn't think of going back. It's b/c, for me, I can get excited about new things, and I sometimes let go of the old.

Who knows? I may adore the Pixel, even though it's a very different beast.
Time will tell.

All I know is that as of now, there's nothing on the market besides a Pixel XL that even gets my attention. And there are some aspects of the Pixel that I really welcome, like the return to the Googleverse, where I once lived as a Nexus fanatic.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Google can't afford to botch their first foray into the hardware market, so the Pixel will be everything they want it to be. Now, whether what they want it to be matches up with what you want from a device, well, we'll have to wait and see. I have high hopes though....

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the specs will be as sold and none seem to stand out as breakthrough. My hopes are that the steps forward are in inclusion. For years I had phones with features that unless I wanted to plug the phone in all day or carry batteries, I would end up shutting them down. The note 7 was more then I could have asked for and then some because I found things I didn't think I would use it for and it didnt disappoint. Well other then the whole recall thing.

I am sure the phone itself will be fine. Not as feature packed as the n7 but as good as what's left. What I am looking at for this phone is inclusion. Synchronicity. Android pay, Google wifi, daydream, photos. What does Google assistant incorporate? I am hoping for a tesla, not a Ferrari

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I, for some reason am not really excited by the Pixel. I know it's pure android in an iPhone-esque body and you'll get timely OS updates (for those that value the latest and greatest there). It seems like something like the V20 offers more hardware (I'm a hardware gal), with the exception of timely OS updates.

I kinda think of the Pixel as Google's very own iPhone but that may be a limited way of looking at things.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I, for some reason am not really excited by the Pixel. I know it's pure android in an iPhone-esque body and you'll get timely OS updates (for those that value the latest and greatest there). It seems like something like the V20 offers more hardware (I'm a hardware gal), with the exception of timely OS updates.

Please correct me, I need to be less ignorant. What is the attraction of the Pixel?

To answer your question, the 'appeal' is that this is the first complete Android ecosystem phone... That is, their software with their 'controlled' hardware... Make sense?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
To answer your question, the 'appeal' is that this is the first complete Android ecosystem phone... That is, their software with their 'controlled' hardware... Make sense?
Yeahp, Google's iPhone. So to speak. What is the advantage over the Nexus line?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I kinda think of the Pixel as Google's very own iPhone but that may be a limited way of looking at things.
Other than the 32 bit DAC, what do you feel that the V20 beings that the Pixel lacks? By my counts the Pixel XL will be leading every category other than the DAC. Did I miss something critical?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Other than the 32 bit DAC, what do you feel that the V20 beings that the Pixel lacks? By my counts the Pixel XL will be leading every category other than the DAC. Did I miss something critical?
Those quad DACs are a biggy for me. I'm also thinking the camera in the V20 will be superior. Then there's the MIL spec’d build quality, removable battery, and expandable SD storage, and that second display. I may have left something out.

V20, how I wait impatiently for thee.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
What is most critical in a phone? That is a pointed question as it's is very subjective. For me it's signal strength, battery, clean/smooth (no lag) and camera. I have yet to find a device that was superior in all 4 (Moto Z force was almost there). Heck, the N7 was only great in 2 of the 4. I couldn't get through a full day on one charge and it was extremely laggy!

Bring on the Pixel!!!