10-18-2016 02:54 PM
72 123
tools
    Based on MKBHD's post, it looks like the embargo lifts at 9:00 am tomorrow.
    jephanie likes this.
    10-17-2016 08:20 PM
    Should make for a lot of reading tomorrow as every tech site will post them at about the same time

Link to his tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MKBHD/sta...68804312477696
    jephanie likes this.
    10-17-2016 08:22 PM
    I trust his opinion. I hope he talks about battery life.
    xxaarraa likes this.
    10-17-2016 08:39 PM
    Bring on the reviews

I wonder who The Verge tapped for their review?
    10-18-2016 04:59 AM
    My guess is Lauren and second guess is Dieter.
    10-18-2016 07:50 AM
    This might actually be for the V20, but I hope I'm wrong.
    10-18-2016 07:56 AM
    This might actually be for the V20, but I hope I'm wrong.
    I'm pretty certain his "ok Google" mention was a hint it was for the Pixel. Sometime tweeted to him jokingly that it made their phone go off and he replied that they should expect it to a few times during the new video.
    10-18-2016 08:01 AM
    Finally we'll get something from people with hands on use. Getting tired of all the conjecture and perception.
    10-18-2016 08:01 AM
    Dieter! "Best Android phone ever made."
    10-18-2016 09:03 AM
    10-18-2016 09:37 AM
    10-18-2016 09:46 AM
    So far reviews look good. The 2 area that I care the most are camera and battery life, and they both look good from the review. Google assistance seems to be great also. I am glad I went with pre ordering the pixel xl instead of keeping my Nexus 6P.
    jamezr and shamdawg like this.
    10-18-2016 09:47 AM
    After watching several of these reviews.... my Pixel XL can't get here quick enough!!!
    russell1997 likes this.
    10-18-2016 11:07 AM
    I still don't know if I want it. The camera isn't quite as good as the Samsungs per several reviews and the battery is average, but when they show their screen on times they're always low with no explanation of how long the phone went between charges. One reviewer said the video image quality isn't as good as the iPhone 7. Several reviews complained about the price for the hardware you're getting with one review saying you can do better with other phones for the price. Reviews were supposed to clear this up for me and instead they only muddied the waters.
    10-18-2016 11:55 AM
    I am still on the fence about this phone, worried it will have bluetooth issues like the 6P. Reviews are still not giving a clear indication of battery life
    10-18-2016 12:10 PM
    I just read this. I think it is about the best non biased review out.
    10-18-2016 12:12 PM
    I still don't know if I want it. The camera isn't quite as good as the Samsungs per several reviews and the battery is average, but when they show their screen on times they're always low with no explanation of how long the phone went between charges. One reviewer said the video image quality isn't as good as the iPhone 7. Several reviews complained about the price for the hardware you're getting with one review saying you can do better with other phones for the price. Reviews were supposed to clear this up for me and instead they only muddied the waters.
    Sounds like it might not be for you then.
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-18-2016 12:15 PM
    Reviews were supposed to clear this up for me and instead they only muddied the waters.
    That is kind of what most reviews do for me as well. Though you do have the return window to factor in. Aside from going to Verizon you cannot get the phone right now from what I have seen. So by then there will be many more reviews & comparisons.

I am still on the fence about this phone, worried it will have bluetooth issues like the 6P. Reviews are still not giving a clear indication of battery life
    The Verge review was really impressed with the battery life saying it was better than iP7 & nexus 6p.
    10-18-2016 12:23 PM
    Very very happy to see all the glowing reviews of the phone. Honestly, only the Note 7 was reviewed as well as I am seeing here today (other than iPhone reviews, of course - no comment).

The Verge: Home Run
    "This is Google's first phone, and for a first effort it is remarkably good. By almost every metric I can think of — speed, power, camera, smart assistant, you name it — it matches or exceeds the best phones available on the market today. "

Mossberg: Google's first phone is first rate
    "If you’re an Android fan, willing to buy a premium phone, the Pixel is your answer. To repeat: it’s simply the best Android phone I’ve tested."

A/C review:
    "The Google Pixel XL is my new daily driver. As for the smaller Pixel, I know it's going to take a lot to tear Daniel Bader away from this compact Android powerhouse. (Ed: True.) Both are excellent smartphones which we can wholeheartedly recommend

Engadget
    "Everyone else making Android phones should be a little worried"

Most of the rest have the same theme. Really good camera, really good software. Fast, fast , fast. We'll see on battery life (most seem OK to good).

I am excited now!
    Stang68 and SteelGator like this.
    10-18-2016 12:24 PM
    I just read this. I think it is about the best non biased review out.
    That's a good review, but the camera review made no sense. It's the fastest smartphone camera even though it is only faster than a Samsung in burst mode and slower than a Samsung in auto focus? It's a better photographers camera than the LG V20 which has more extensive manual controls? It's the best smartphone camera even though it has wonky autofocus and doesn't excel in low light? Those comments don't really make sense.
    10-18-2016 12:27 PM
    Very very happy to see all the glowing reviews of the phone. Honestly, only the Note 7 was reviewed as well as I am seeing here today (other than iPhone reviews, of course - no comment).

"This is Google's first phone, and for a first effort it is remarkably good. By almost every metric I can think of — speed, power, camera, smart assistant, you name it — it matches or exceeds the best phones available on the market today. "

"If you’re an Android fan, willing to buy a premium phone, the Pixel is your answer. To repeat: it’s simply the best Android phone I’ve tested."

A/C review:
    "The Google Pixel XL is my new daily driver. As for the smaller Pixel, I know it's going to take a lot to tear Daniel Bader away from this compact Android powerhouse. (Ed: True.) Both are excellent smartphones which we can wholeheartedly recommend

Engadget

Most of the rest have the same theme. Really good camera, really good software. Fast, fast , fast. We'll see on battery life (most seem OK to good).

I am excited now!
    I feel like Google gave OEMs enough opportunity to do it...and none have really done it right. Google is done with reference devices and is a real OEM now.
    10-18-2016 12:27 PM

A/C review:

Engadget

I am excited now!
    They're not all glowing.

TechnoBuffalo
    "It’s a fine phone, sure, but there are plenty of devices that offer similar performance and, in some cases, more features, for the same price or less.

You want an Android phone? Buy a Galaxy S7 Edge. You want an Android phone that doesn’t break the bank? Buy a OnePlus 3. You want an Android Phone with Google Assistant? Buy a Nexus 6P and hack it on. Want something unique? Buy a Moto Z. You want an expensive Android phone with 24/7 support, unlimited Google Photo backup and the chance at getting the latest software first? Then get the Pixel. I suggest waiting to see what Google’s grander plan for the Pixel is before diving in, however. With the glaring hole left by the Galaxy Note 7 in my arsenal, I’ll personally be switching over to the Moto Z."
    10-18-2016 12:34 PM
    Consensus seems to be best camera, best battery life, great build quality and we already know best software and best security, etc. Still waiting to see the display analysis. And also waiting for noon tomorrow so I can talk about mine.
    SteelGator likes this.
    10-18-2016 12:39 PM
    They're not all glowing.

TechnoBuffalo
    "It’s a fine phone, sure, but there are plenty of devices that offer similar performance and, in some cases, more features, for the same price or less.

You want an Android phone? Buy a Galaxy S7 Edge. You want an Android phone that doesn’t break the bank? Buy a OnePlus 3. You want an Android Phone with Google Assistant? Buy a Nexus 6P and hack it on. Want something unique? Buy a Moto Z. You want an expensive Android phone with 24/7 support, unlimited Google Photo backup and the chance at getting the latest software first? Then get the Pixel. I suggest waiting to see what Google’s grander plan for the Pixel is before diving in, however. With the glaring hole left by the Galaxy Note 7 in my arsenal, I’ll personally be switching over to the Moto Z."
    LOL at someone switching to Moto after saying "I suggest waiting to see what Google's grander plan for the Pixel is before diving in".

That's hilarious. Moto has been shuffled around and changed plans so often in the past two years that I'm not sure I believe that they actually have a plan. I do hope they stick with the Mods though, but only because they already promised to and I don't want people to get hosed.

You're trying to find reasons to not like the Pixel, and that's fine. Maybe just own up to that and skip it. Stick with the S7/Edge until the S8 is a real thing that you can buy. That might sound mean, but it's literally my honest advice to you (I'm also someone that always wants the newest thing out).
    stanleybb50 likes this.
    10-18-2016 12:41 PM
    Consensus seems to be best camera, best battery life, great build quality and we already know best software and best security, etc. Still waiting to see the display analysis. And also waiting for noon tomorrow so I can talk about mine.
    There is no consensus on the camera. In the reviews I've seen, two reviews said it was the best smartphone camera, three said it wasn't as good as the Samsungs. It doesn't offer the best battery life either - just average - along the lines of an S7 Edge.
    10-18-2016 12:43 PM
72 123