Using Outlook as Mail Client On New Pixel XL Or Try Stock/Gmail App

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from the Note 5 and then the short lived Note 7. I've used Outlook as my mail, calendar and contacts app as it is my preference but I also signed into my GMAIL account to sync calendar and contacts to the system via the Outlook app. I also used the Outlook calendar widget.

One thing about my past experience with Android is the mess my contacts become. Seems like I go to add contacts, there are way too many places to store them. For example, on my temporary Moto G4 (my Pixel XL arrives today, any time now), if I go to add a contact, it does default to my Google Account but then I also have options to add to my google account via the Outlook app and then also two more options for the Outlook app, which are my main Outlook.com email and my work exchange account.

I want my new Pixel to be nice and neat and don't mind a Google centered ecosystem for calendar and contacts. But I'd like to continue use Outlook but not have GMAIL.

So first up, how is the GMAIL client for syncing Exchange and Outlook.com? And second, can I truly use Outlook App only to sync contacts and calendar? I am not married to the Outlook app, but I do prefer it and looking for informed opinions before my Pixel arrives in a few moments. :D

I LOVE the inbox app.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Perfect thanks guys, I think I will pull the trigger on Nine. Sounds like it's worth the price and something I will be able to use for the foreseeable future.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The $10.00 spent on Nine has been the best App purchase I've ever made since switching to a smartphone many moons ago.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from the Note 5 and then the short lived Note 7. I've used Outlook as my mail, calendar and contacts app as it is my preference but I also signed into my GMAIL account to sync calendar and contacts to the system via the Outlook app. I also used the Outlook calendar widget.

One thing about my past experience with Android is the mess my contacts become. Seems like I go to add contacts, there are way too many places to store them. For example, on my temporary Moto G4 (my Pixel XL arrives today, any time now), if I go to add a contact, it does default to my Google Account but then I also have options to add to my google account via the Outlook app and then also two more options for the Outlook app, which are my main Outlook.com email and my work exchange account.

I want my new Pixel to be nice and neat and don't mind a Google centered ecosystem for calendar and contacts. But I'd like to continue use Outlook but not have GMAIL.

So first up, how is the GMAIL client for syncing Exchange and Outlook.com? And second, can I truly use Outlook App only to sync contacts and calendar? I am not married to the Outlook app, but I do prefer it and looking for informed opinions before my Pixel arrives in a few moments. :D

Love Outlook

Shananay

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
I very highly recommend the Nine app also!

The Galaxy phones do have a nice email app that supports exchange and when I moved from my N4 to the Nexus 6P last year I had to find something different.I tried several apps including the Outlook app and I found Nine to be the best of them all. Nine is not free but it's worth it... well at least it wasn't free at that time.

There were two big things I didn't like about the Outlook app... 1) I did not like the Focus tab, because I don't need/want Outlook telling me what emails should be of Focus... 2) the Outlook calendar does not integrate with the main phone calendar, this was a automatic disqualification for me. I found an awesome "Month" calendar widget and I need/want both my personal google calendar and exchange calendar aggregated into one main calendar on my phone. Additionally, my wife and I share events to each others google calendars, so there's not arguments about who forgot to remind the other about stuff, and there's no reason why I should have to look at two different calendars to see everything... especially when there's plenty of other exchange mail apps that will support integration with the main phone calendar.

So lets talk about contacts on your phone and integration with different accounts. When you add accounts to your phone, like gmail and exchange (through apps like Nine), these accounts will sync, by default, with the main contacts on your phone. If you don't want these accounts to sync with your main contacts you need to go into the setting of these accounts and disable the contact sync for these accounts. In the main contacts app for your phone you will see every contact for all accounts that are synced. When you add a new contact through this main contact app you will see an option to select which account you want add this new contact to... you need to pay attention to this... this is a real common issue I see people forgetting to do (I work in IT so I see this a lot)... I've seen a lot of people lose contacts because they didn't save their contact to the right account... and worse they didn't save them to any account at all, they just save them to the "Phone" option which just saves the contact to the local phone storage.

The other issue I've seen with contacts is when people get new phones and they have the store they got it from backup and restore their contacts to the new phone... when they do this for some reason it seems to take all the contacts from synced accounts and puts them on the main phone storage as a it's own contact... then you when you add your accounts to the new phone all these contacts sync back down to your phone and then are duplicated with the ones the store tech brought over. So if you are always making sure all of your contacts are saved to either your google or exchange account there is never any reason why a store tech should be backing up and restoring your contacts, because they are synced to the cloud and they'll always be synced back to your phone when you add your accounts back.

Hi...I just got my pixel and the contacts app is overwhelming. I see it has them separated by all my gmail accounts which is fine, but I only want to see my phone contacts. Otherwise it is wayyyy tooo much! Any idea how to do this. It does not seem to have an option for phone only contacts.
Thanks

misscara1

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
I used both gmail and outlook app for contacts and I'm missing tons of my contacts even facebook isn't sync'd even though it says it is. HELP

mrcil20

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
you should give a shot to Mailwise client. Been using it for the past 5 years and it manages my Exchange and Gmail accounts perfectly. And it's free. I tried Nine in the past but prefered Mailwise. Nobody talked about it in this thread so I thought it might be a good help for those that are still looking for a good mail client.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
you should give a shot to Mailwise client. Been using it for the past 5 years and it manages my Exchange and Gmail accounts perfectly. And it's free. I tried Nine in the past but prefered Mailwise. Nobody talked about it in this thread so I thought it might be a good help for those that are still looking for a good mail client.

I second the mailwise recommendation. I have been using it for over a year. I use mailwise exclusively for my work Outlook account and think it does great. I leave Gmail for the Gmail app.

kylelib

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I agree with you on the gmail app.
<rant>
My biggest annoyance with gmail, Outlook and other popular email apps is that they make an atrocious mess out of my contacts. Eventually I end up with duplicate contacts, one for each email system that I might have tested out, all showing as linked x number of times, in my phone contact list. To top it off my carrier has its own cloud based contact which gets included in that mix. Why to these guys assume I want to use their contact list service and synchronization capabilities. I'd prefer they all install themselves with that option turned off and allow me to opt in to the contact synchronization I am interested in using.

I just got my phone, tried 3 different email apps, and now I have a mess. I'll end up having to go to uninstall them all, turn off GMAIL sync, then visit each online version of my contacts and remove all contact (except the ones I want, on the service where I want them), then reset my dang phone and start all over. :(
</rant>

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that happened to me as well. My contacts from my business email synced but that's it - totally useless. I tries the cable thing at first when I set it up and coming from an Android I thought it was easy. I was wrong.

There is a known issue with moving contacts over and my provider told me to come back in a week because that's when they'd get their "adapter" (whatever that means). So, instead I backed up my contacts on my old phone to a csv file, connected a cable, copied that file over to my laptop, exported the file to my stale gmail account (I use only Microsoft services for the most part) and synced my contacts with that account.

Ridiculous but it worked.

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I gave Nine a shot for my work email, and I really liked it. The problem was, my IT staff wasn't so sure. I'm back on the Outlook app now, and I HATE it. It scales some mail messages down to invisible print size (to my eyes at least). It doesn't always happen, but it's a pain in the *** to try and zoom in, slide left and right, just to read an email. I don't recall Nine having this issue at all.

That being said, any tips on how I can convince my IT staff that Nine is a "safe" app to use as an email client? I'd really like to switch back, but I need to find a way to convince them.

Thx

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I gave Nine a shot for my work email, and I really liked it. The problem was, my IT staff wasn't so sure. I'm back on the Outlook app now, and I HATE it. It scales some mail messages down to invisible print size (to my eyes at least). It doesn't always happen, but it's a pain in the *** to try and zoom in, slide left and right, just to read an email. I don't recall Nine having this issue at all.

That being said, any tips on how I can convince my IT staff that Nine is a "safe" app to use as an email client? I'd really like to switch back, but I need to find a way to convince them.

Thx
If they can't tell you specifically why they don't trust the application then you have no hope in convincing them to accept ANY application other than the standard they selected. This is typical for most corporate IT folks. My company has a BYOM program under which I get reimbursed monthly for having MobileIron on my phone with a specific email application (email+). Ain't no way I'm succumbing to their monitoring on my daily driver but I'm not passing on free money either so I have an old Nexus 4 sitting at home with nothing on it but the corporate standard stuff that I never take out of the house or use (just leave it running and cycle power/charging it). On my Pixel daily driver I use Aquamail and have it pull email using OWA.

Last edited:

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I use BlackBerry Hub for Android. It's the best email client I've ever used. Highly customizable and can show and respond to all messages in one inbox or separate inboxes. Or any combination of just some. I get Facebook, Twitter, work email, outlook.com email, SMS, MMS, hangouts, Skype and a bunch of other supported apps' messages in one view. I also use bb calendar and contacts apps. The best out there. I happily pay the .99 every month for this client.