Pro tip for the stock launcher

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you can't figure out why you can't get the date widget at the top of the stock launcher to change into the weather widget, it's likely because the stock launcher needs to be updated. Google added that neat feature in October, apparently sometime after the software was completed.

When you go through an update all of the preloaded apps, it doesn't automatically update the launcher itself. You have to search the store for the pixel launcher and update it manually. After you update, the date widget should turn into the weather widget.

You may have to toggle your location Quick Settings toggle in order for it to work.

EDIT: After a reboot the widget reverted to just the date. I tried to retrace my steps to change it back and failed. I was successful only after swiping left into google now, going to settings, then "settings" under google assistant, Personal info, weather units, and toggling back and forth from Celsius and Fahrenheit. This is something that i remember doing the first time, but did not think it had any impact. Bottom line, this may not actually be a sure fire way to make the widget change unless someone else confirms it, and I think the way google implemented that widget is horrible and they need to fix it in a later update.

EDIT 2: Daniel Padilla has also found that "You can also bring weather back by pulling down on Google Now screen to refresh it."

Last edited:

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
If you can't figure out why you can't get the date widget at the top of the stock launcher to change into the weather widget, it's likely because the stock launcher needs to be updated. Google added that neat feature in October, apparently sometime after the software was completed.

When you go through an update all of the preloaded apps, it doesn't automatically update the launcher itself. You have to search the store for the pixel launcher and update it manually. After you update, the date widget should turn into the weather widget.

You may have to toggle your location Quick Settings toggle in order for it to work.

The answer i was searching for. Will try it out.
Cheers.

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site

EDIT: After a reboot the widget reverted to just the date. I tried to retrace my steps to change it back and failed. I was successful only after swiping left into google now, going to settings, then "settings" under google assistant, Personal info, weather units, and toggling back and forth from Celsius and Fahrenheit. This is something that i remember doing the first time, but did not think it had any impact. Bottom line, this may not actually be a sure fire way to make the widget change unless someone else confirms it, and I think the way google implemented that widget is horrible and they need to fix it in a later update.

You can also bring weather back by pulling down on Google Now screen to refresh it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I got mine working. It took a few refreshes and trying all things mentioned in the first post. I agree, Google needs to implement it better. It's a nice touch to the launcher, but there should be a way to permanently select weather or date, whichever you prefer to use.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way for the launcher to scroll through the homepages wraparound style? So I can just swipe one direction continuously without having to go back"? Thanks.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

EDIT 2: Daniel Padilla has also found that "You can also bring weather back by pulling down on Google Now screen to refresh it."

Thanks op!! This was awesome

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I wish it would show the moon instead of a bright sun as I'm sitting here at 10:00 pm central time. Funny thing is, if I tap on the widget to take me to the weather information, that screen shows me...the moon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar