How do Google phones pricing normally work?

What I mean is this. I always run out and buy the latest Droid phone, always at full price. Only to find out that within a month or two the price drops and people have specials on it. How is the pricing in the past on Google branded phones? Does Best Buy or others run specials on them after a month or two?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-20-2016 12:52 AM
    Any specials tend to be limited ($50-$75) within the first year. The sizeable price cuts (e.g. 50% off) tend to come a year after and during the holiday season. For instance, the Motorola Nexus 6 retailed for about $650. In December, it went on sale for $200. I'd expect a similar sale for the Nexus 6P this year. And late 2017, something substantial for the Pixel. All that to say, you're probably safe to buy the Pixel at this price point and not miss out on any extraordinary deals for quite some time.
    10-20-2016 02:10 AM
    It will but not right now, maybe a little when we get close to the holiday season.
    10-20-2016 02:39 AM
    I would hope that by the time it shows up in my country the price will be lower. Wish I could be certain.
    10-20-2016 03:15 AM
    I've been successful buying new phones during either Cyber Monday or during the holiday season for significant discounts each year, including last year when I got $50 off of my Nexus 6P and $80 off of my wife's Nexus 5X. If you're willing to wait until then, I'd bet there will be about a $50 discount at some point.
    10-20-2016 09:25 AM
    I *suspect* there will be a significant price decrease when the Note 8 comes out... Because many of us will be dumping our Pixels and going back to Sammy.
    10-20-2016 03:17 PM
    This phone could be different, as it is so targeted at iPhone. I don't know if historical nexus discounts are that relevant. The short answer is that it will not be less anytime soon.
    raqball likes this.
    10-20-2016 04:09 PM
    I *suspect* there will be a significant price decrease when the Note 8 comes out... Because many of us will be dumping our Pixels and going back to Sammy.
    It'll be interesting to see how they approach their next outing... Given how close the latest S7 Edge and Note were, I could envision them dumping the Note monicker altogether and simply coming out with an S8, S8 Edge, and S8 Edge-S (for stylus).

Pretty sure they're going to have every feature under the sun in their next generation, push out some really strong promos to draw people back - should make for a compelling option. Wonder if they'll include these in every box...

Will the price drop?-pocket-fire-extinguisher-300x300.png
    10-20-2016 04:11 PM
    It'll be interesting to see how they approach their next outing... Given how close the latest S7 Edge and Note were, I could envision them dumping the Note monicker altogether and simply coming out with an S8, S8 Edge, and S8 Edge-S (for stylus).

Pretty sure they're going to have every feature under the sun in their next generation, push out some really strong promos to draw people back - should make for a compelling option. Wonder if they'll include these in every box...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket-fire-extinguisher-300x300.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	242990
    Can't wait for my new Sammy Deton-8!!!
    Jeremy8000 likes this.
    10-20-2016 04:20 PM
    I agree that it will probably take a while. I'm expecting a drop maybe 9 months from now, from other retailers.
    10-20-2016 04:23 PM
    Pixel devices tend to stay one price until they are eol'd.
    10-20-2016 04:25 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket-fire-extinguisher-300x300.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	242990
    After the exploding n7...why would you get a n8?
    10-20-2016 04:26 PM
    Pixel devices tend to stay one price until they are eol'd.
    I agree, that's why I said other retailers. I don't expect for Google to drop the price by much, if at all. I will be watching Swappa and eBay next year.
    10-20-2016 04:30 PM
    Because, IMO, the issue was ridiculously blown out of proportion... (notice no drama, no recalls of all the iPhones that are going up in smoke!)

...and the New Sammy Deton-8, uh, I mean Note 8 will be the best phone, safest phone, ever...

Because it will have to be.

and I need the S-pen.
    10-20-2016 04:36 PM
    if Google is trying to become aa premium brand expect premium prices. I would guess what ever types of deals apple does google might do.
    10-20-2016 04:50 PM
    The Note 7 was a great phone. It had a top of the line camera and display, always on display, water proofing, removable storage and fast wireless and cable charging. I used the S Pen all the time. It also looked and felt great. Nothing else had that combination of features. It's a shame Samsung couldn't fix the battery issue. I would be willing to give the Note 8 or whatever it is called a try if it retained those features.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    10-20-2016 04:58 PM
    The Note 7 was a great phone. It had a top of the line camera and display, always on display, water proofing, removable storage and fast wireless and cable charging. I used the S Pen all the time. It also looked and felt great. Nothing else had that combination of features. It's a shame Samsung couldn't fix the battery issue. I would be willing to give the Note 8 or whatever it is called a try if it retained those features.
    Regardless. It was recalled for EXPLODING! The replacements also exploded. I wouldn't use the charger, since they obviously don't know what's causing the issue.
    10-20-2016 10:14 PM
    Samsung is going to put more focus into ensuring there are no issues into the Note 8 and S8's than they have with any phone to date, as even modest issues will be met with enormous criticism and outrage. They have stood at the top of the Android food chain in sales for a long time, and just took a huge hit. Another blow, even if it's not of the explosive kind, could permanently remove them from contention to remain #1 going forward.

Along with the fact that it's pretty much a certainty that the next iterations will be as safe as can be, they'll surely either reduce the price, offer greater value in what's included for the 'regular' price, or have a huge pre-order incentive to attract people back.

Never owned a Note or Galaxy before, but I have little doubt that the next ones will be the of the make it or break it variety for Samsung's future.
    10-20-2016 11:14 PM
    Samsung is going to put more focus into ensuring there are no issues into the Note 8 and S8's than they have with any phone to date, as even modest issues will be met with enormous criticism and outrage. They have stood at the top of the Android food chain in sales for a long time, and just took a huge hit. Another blow, even if it's not of the explosive kind, could permanently remove them from contention to remain #1 going forward.

Along with the fact that it's pretty much a certainty that the next iterations will be as safe as can be, they'll surely either reduce the price, offer greater value in what's included for the 'regular' price, or have a huge pre-order incentive to attract people back.

Never owned a Note or Galaxy before, but I have little doubt that the next ones will be the of the make it or break it variety for Samsung's future.
    The replacements exploded.
    10-20-2016 11:14 PM
    The replacements exploded.
    I'm speaking of the next generation, not the immediate replacements. If Samsung put out the replacements without being certain as to exactly what it was that created the issue in the first place... well that was just plain dumb. A next generation would likely be substantially changed - and I can still easily see them renaming them as a variant of the S-series to avoid the 'Note' stigma.
    10-20-2016 11:18 PM
    Price drop may not be in the near future. May be till the next batch of pixels arrive !!!
    10-21-2016 05:56 AM
    Price will not drop on Google play, (it never did with nexus)
    10-21-2016 06:18 AM
    Price will not drop on Google play, (it never did with nexus)
    Not true, last year they had a $50 discount around black Friday. Luckily it was within the time period that my credit card company would still refund me the difference. I probably won't get that benefit this year since I financed it through Google.
    10-21-2016 06:27 AM
    If it drops, the Note 8 release won't be the reason. Sammy fans and Nexus/Pixel fans run in different circles. I doubt that significant numbers of Note 7 owners moved to Pixel. More likely one of the S7's.
    10-21-2016 08:08 AM
    If it drops, the Note 8 release won't be the reason. Sammy fans and Nexus/Pixel fans run in different circles. I doubt that significant numbers of Note 7 owners moved to Pixel. More likely one of the S7's.
    I disagree. I'm going GN7 to Pixel XL. A lot of people are, there's a thread here that seems to indicate that two of the top choices are LG v20 and the Google Pixel. I didn't like the S7 Edge personally.
    10-21-2016 09:26 AM