Pixel Bluetooth issues

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I updated my Pixel to:
NDE63X

The update did NOT fix my issue.
My Bluetooth will not stay connected to my 2012 GMC Sierra 2500hd.

sfeather

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
2012 Chevy Volt
Nexus 6 w/ Android 7.0 works
iPhone 5c w/ iOS 10 works

Pixel w/ 7.1 pairs, disconnects.
Force connect from bluetooth settings, it connects, disconnects.
In a call, the car speaker never appears as an option (because it isn't connected)
Funny thing though, smart unlock works! How screwed up is that?

November patch made no difference (but didn't really expect it to).
I don't have an android wearable.
Do have a fitbit, but think they use their own stack to talk to their devices.
edit: turning off the beneficial fitbit settings had no effect for me w/ the car
It will stay paired with the ODBII adapter in the car.
Will stay paired with a portable bluetooth speaker.

Just sharing to add an additional data point.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
2012 Chevy Volt
Nexus 6 w/ Android 7.0 works
iPhone 5c w/ iOS 10 works

Pixel w/ 7.1 pairs, disconnects.
Force connect from bluetooth settings, it connects, disconnects.
In a call, the car speaker never appears as an option (because it isn't connected)
Funny thing though, smart unlock works! How screwed up is that?

November patch made no difference (but didn't really expect it to).
I don't have an android wearable.
Do have a fitbit, but think they use their own stack to talk to their devices.
edit: turning off the beneficial fitbit settings had no effect for me w/ the car
It will stay paired with the ODBII adapter in the car.
Will stay paired with a portable bluetooth speaker.

Just sharing to add an additional data point.

This is interesting, I have a 2012 and a 2013 volt... Both work perfectly fine with my pixel without the patch. Works for all features.

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting, I have a 2012 and a 2013 volt... Both work perfectly fine with my pixel without the patch. Works for all features.

Maybe different Bluetooth radios in either the phone or car? What about MyLink updates? Have there been any and do you have them installed? I am also a MyLink owner, and I do, as far as I know, have the latest installed on my car. I just need my Pixel XL to arrive so I can test it.

Prominator411

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I have 2016 prius car, Bluetooth metadata not working,
no song name, also takes for ever to connect, i have to unlock phone and go into Bluetooth menu for it to connect.

Applejunkie66

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2016 Honda Accord and making or receiving calls have about 5% reliability. This is atrocious. Even when I connect it through my Android Auto it only works 10% of the time. Absolutely absurd.

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2014 sonic with my link. 99% of the time Bluetooth connects quickly and I can make phone calls and hear texts just fine. If I manually connect the phone ,( because rarely it just won't after a minute or two) I can access the phone but nothing comes through the Bluetooth speakers in the car. It does make calls and respond to voice commands. So far after this past update it's been fine. But we'll see.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
While paring is not a problem for my Pixel, there are two other issues with BT I've noticed:

- The BT range is short, and totally intolerant of anything blocking the signal, compared to my previous phones.

- The BT signal is not steady. Drop-outs occur consistently while listening to music, even when the Pixel is inches from the BT speaker.

Both of these issues have been reported to Google. Besides asking me to do the obvious, dump cache, do a FDR, they have no good answers.

BT range and reliability is the only issue I've found with the Pixel XL.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
This is my observation as well, having my phone in my pocket seems to cut Bluetooth audio in and out with the headset on my head. This is wearing jeans, not lead-lined pants. I've never had this problem since I've been using bluetooth with phones.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This is my observation as well, having my phone in my pocket seems to cut Bluetooth audio in and out with the headset on my head. This is wearing jeans, not lead-lined pants. I've never had this problem since I've been using bluetooth with phones.

Yes.

I have experienced this, have reported it to Google, and it's so bad that I can no longer use my BT headset that I've been using forever. Taking the Pixel out of my pocket and walking with it in my hand makes the connection intermittent. This is just not usable when listening to music.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

I have experienced this, have reported it to Google, and it's so bad that I can no longer use my BT headset that I've been using forever. Taking the Pixel out of my pocket and walking with it in my hand makes the connection intermittent. This is just not usable when listening to music.

I've had less of an issue -- almost none -- with my headphones. What BT set do you have?

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
While paring is not a problem for my Pixel, there are two other issues with BT I've noticed:

- The BT range is short, and totally intolerant of anything blocking the signal, compared to my previous phones.

- The BT signal is not steady. Drop-outs occur consistently while listening to music, even when the Pixel is inches from the BT speaker.

Both of these issues have been reported to Google. Besides asking me to do the obvious, dump cache, do a FDR, they have no good answers.

BT range and reliability is the only issue I've found with the Pixel XL.

I just got my Pixel yesterday. Set it up and went for a run with my Plantronic Backbeat Fit bluetooth headphones today. Sound stuttered quite a few times not only playing music through Google Play but also audio cues in my running app. I'm going to tinker a little to see if this can be resolved but I have never had a single issue with these headphones on my Moto X Pure so this is troubling.

UPDATE:

So 2 things:

1) Pairing with my Jeep was no issue. Sound quality was fine and I didn't have any stuttering/cutout issues in my short test drive. It also repaired quickly when I got back in the car.

2) While taking my dog for a walk, I took my headphones again to mess around. I cleared out the original pairing and repaired them with the phone. It seemed to do the trick as I didn't have any issues on the walk. However, one thing I noted is I was carrying my phone in my right hand or pocket while running I was carrying the phone in my left hand. So, I'm wondering if the phone just has a weaker bluetooth signal/range.

I'll check again with my run tomorrow.

Last edited:

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2012 Suburu Outback and am having a bad "garbled/choppy" sound quality issue with my Pixel XL when connected to bluetooth. I made a video of the issue. In the first part, you will see when the phone is connected to bluetooth, it plays media with no issue. Next, I make a phone call and use the speakerphone to establish sound quality on the phone itself is fine. The last part is what the phone sounds like when calls are made through bluetooth. Apparently, people who are on the other end of the phone can hear me with no issues. So, this seems to be just with audio to the car speakers. I have this same issue when I try to make a call though Hangouts and Duo. I called Google Support and they told me this is a known issue that they are working on.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had less of an issue -- almost none -- with my headphones. What BT set do you have?

Hey Gator,
I've got a pair of Samsung Level Pro's. Excellent BT headset.

But, my BT issues with the Pixel are with every BT device I use. 4 different BT speakers and my BT headset.
Same issue - the range is short, can be blocked easily by just walking between the phone and BT speaker that is just 6' away. Having my Pixel in my pocket during a walk wearing my headset just doesn't work. In hand during a walk it's not good.

Even when parking the Pixel a few inches away from a BT speaker, if I let music run, it'll have drop-outs.

I have paired, re-paired and I've dumped all cache. Have not done a FDR. I'll wait until the next significant update from Google to do that.

Pairing in my FRS is instant. Some drop-outs in the car. If I am listening to a podcast with talking, it's less apparent.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Pixel yesterday. Set it up and went for a run with my Plantronic Backbeat Fit bluetooth headphones today. Sound stuttered quite a few times not only playing music through Google Play but also audio cues in my running app. I'm going to tinker a little to see if this can be resolved but I have never had a single issue with these headphones on my Moto X Pure so this is troubling.

UPDATE:

So 2 things:

1) Pairing with my Jeep was no issue. Sound quality was fine and I didn't have any stuttering/cutout issues in my short test drive. It also repaired quickly when I got back in the car.

2) While taking my dog for a walk, I took my headphones again to mess around. I cleared out the original pairing and repaired them with the phone. It seemed to do the trick as I didn't have any issues on the walk. However, one thing I noted is I was carrying my phone in my right hand or pocket while running I was carrying the phone in my left hand. So, I'm wondering if the phone just has a weaker bluetooth signal/range.

I'll check again with my run tomorrow.

Would be interested in your update.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey Gator,
I've got a pair of Samsung Level Pro's. Excellent BT headset.

But, my BT issues with the Pixel are with every BT device I use. 4 different BT speakers and my BT headset.
Same issue - the range is short, can be blocked easily by just walking between the phone and BT speaker that is just 6' away. Having my Pixel in my pocket during a walk wearing my headset just doesn't work. In hand during a walk it's not good.

Even when parking the Pixel a few inches away from a BT speaker, if I let music run, it'll have drop-outs.

I have paired, re-paired and I've dumped all cache. Have not done a FDR. I'll wait until the next significant update from Google to do that.

Pairing in my FRS is instant. Some drop-outs in the car. If I am listening to a podcast with talking, it's less apparent.

hmmmm, that is a nice headset, I almost got them as I was getting sucked into the Samsung ecosystem. I went with the Jaybirds. I use them when I work out. I am able to walk a good distance away without issues and put my phone in the drink holder w/o issue. I don't pocket my phone much when I use them, I will have to give that a try.

Do you have multiple devices hooked up? I believe my biggest issue is my Gear Fit 2. I know my Garmin Vivo drove my BT on the Note 4 wacky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1