Has anyone else noticed that the virtual home/back buttons make a huge difference in now big the screen is when using apps? Is it just me or is this a big thing when coming from a Note 7?
    10-20-2016 10:45 PM
    Has anyone else noticed that the virtual home/back buttons make a huge difference in now big the screen is when using apps? Is it just me or is this a big thing when coming from a Note 7?
    Hello previous Samsung user. Many Android phones are moving toward on-screen navigation buttons. Samsung is one of the few that still uses capacitive buttons that do not reside on the screen itself. Yes, this does affect the amount of real estate you have when viewing things on your screen, but for most apps this ends up being a non-issue. For the apps that matter, like Netflix, YouTube, or most video streaming apps, those on-screen buttons disappear so the app can use the entire screen. It may take some time to get used to, but don't let it bug you.
    verks and raqball like this.
    10-21-2016 01:26 AM
    Capacitive buttons make more sense than on screen.

Not only does the screen appear bigger, but you don't run the risk of glitches that don't give you access to the on screen buttons. On my Moto X while using Snapchat there were times I would just lose the onscreen buttons cause Snapchat said so.
    dsignori and recDNA like this.
    10-21-2016 05:44 AM
    Well, maybe I am use to the on screen button, I felt that the on screen button are more convenience than the Samsung buttons.

But that just my personal preference tho. :3
    raqball likes this.
    10-21-2016 06:59 AM
    I prefer on-screen. I always accidentally hit the capacitive buttons on my s6. Drove me nuts.
    10-21-2016 08:27 AM
    on screen is fine. some apps will hide it as it is needed. also, isn't there a rumor google will make the on screen button customizable? if it does come to the pixel, that's awesome, something that hard button can never do.
    10-21-2016 08:50 AM
    on screen is fine. some apps will hide it as it is needed. also, isn't there a rumor google will make the on screen button customizable? if it does come to the pixel, that's awesome, something that hard button can never do.
    Don't see why they wouldn't. LG's on screen buttons have been customizable for years...
    10-21-2016 08:56 AM
    This argument has gone on since Google first introduced the first on-screen buttons (Galaxy Nexus???). I don't think they have led to the bezel reduction that was expected, but they have improved some over the years.

Both approaches have their merits.
    10-21-2016 09:07 AM
    Yeah this and the fact that not all games move the buttons away to go full screen make it really hard to give up my capacities buttons. I want to use the ENTIRE screen I don't want it taken up by a static image...maybe an option to make the buttons disappear and you can swipe up to bring them back? I'd love that.
    10-21-2016 09:17 AM
    Yeah this and the fact that not all games move the buttons away to go full screen make it really hard to give up my capacities buttons. I want to use the ENTIRE screen I don't want it taken up by a static image...maybe an option to make the buttons disappear and you can swipe up to bring them back? I'd love that.
    I've never seen one that doesn't.
    10-21-2016 10:46 AM
    There are negative aspects of both on screen and capacitive buttons. When on screen buttons don't disappear disappear in some games, it's annoying to try not to touch them. With capacitive buttons, I would accidentally press them while holding the phone.
    Overall, I like the on screen buttons more.
    10-21-2016 10:59 AM
    Much prefer on-screen. It also removes a high failure point - home buttons are one of the most common failure points on iPhones and Samsung devices.
    10-21-2016 12:58 PM
    I'm with you. Coming from Samsung phones, this is the thing I like least about the Pixel, the on screen buttons. It takes up screen space, and for me it's wasteful. Purists aren't going to agree, but that's fine. I like the Pixel XL very much so far , and this is the one downside for me.
    10-21-2016 01:04 PM
    I wish they looked at the old galaxy devices where the menu/home/back buttons where integrated under the bottom bezel. This didn't take away from the usable screen area.
    Davidoo likes this.
    10-21-2016 03:10 PM