I finally decided to head to my local Verizon store and pick me up a new Pixel from by Google after much debate. After reading all of the reviews and watching all the videos I decided to pull the trigger. I was very hesitant at first since the price of the phone. I wanted a smaller form factor and was upgrading from a Nexus 6p that I love, I just wanted something smaller. I went in and they got me a really good trade in deal on a old phone that was sitting in a box that I never used so I was sold. They got it for me and made sure that it was activated then I went out and sat in my truck for a little while to play on it. Then I was very surprised it booted up with out any of Verizon's logos or anything. The first thing i did was check for an update and sure enough it did. So i let it go through its process. Once that was complete it rebooted and then I noticed it started to download some apps. Apparently the Go90, Verizon Messages and My Verizon app was downloading. So I guess it recognized the Verizon sim card and started to download and that they are not preinstalled. I just swiped up to cancel the apps and that was it. As I was downloading My stuff and playing with the phone I did notice it get slightly warm but not hot. Also the battery was not running away like it would with my old phone. Probably the best part is, while its doing all of this, the phone is super fast probably one of the fastest android phones I have ever used. Once I got home I started to play with the WiFi calling, it preferred to stay on network connection and would not change. I put it in airplane mode with WiFi on and everything worked perfectly. So I was walking around the house playing on it and making phone calls and that when I noticed that I was in a good cell spot in the house it was connected to Verizon but when I walked to a dead spot it would connect seamlessly to WiFi calling with out dropping or anything and vise versa. I was very Impressed and voicemail support works naively. So I decided to put my ProjectFi card in and sure enough everything worked just fine after a reboot. The only thing I have not tested yet was the bootloader if it was unlocked. This doesn't really affect me but I know some it does. I know google and Verizon promised updates at the same time. Yes us android users have been burned in the past on this so we will see. I will have to say overall I'm super happy with my purchase and love my new, super fast, and smaller phone. Any questions about the Verizon version just ask.
    raqball, Jeremy8000 and cbreze like this.
    10-20-2016 10:47 PM
    So I guess it recognized the Verizon sim card and started to download and that they are not preinstalled.
    The one from the Google Store does the exact same thing with a Verizon SIM.
    raqball likes this.
    10-20-2016 11:03 PM

The same thing happened with my 6P when I would factory reset and have a T-Mobile sim, or ProjectFi. It seems like they are clean phones from google they sent to Verizon. Just trying to help spread the word about how the Verizon version works.
    10-20-2016 11:14 PM
    Wow so even the sim free one gets Verizon additions automatically
    10-20-2016 11:28 PM
    Wow so even the sim free one gets Verizon additions automatically
    As soon as it recognizes a VZW sim it downloads the VZW apps...

I assume if you could get one from Best Buy and walk out the door without activating it that it would not get the VZW bloat. You should be able to put an AT&T, T-Mobile or Fi SIM card in it right away and my guess is that it would never even know it's a VZW device..
    10-20-2016 11:36 PM

I assume if you could get one from Best Buy and walk out the door without activating it that it would not get the VZW bloat. You should be able to put an AT&T, T-Mobile or Fi SIM card in it right away and my guess is that it would never even know it's a VZW device..
    My Unlocked Nexus 6P did the same with T-Mobile as well.
    10-21-2016 12:20 AM
    My Unlocked Nexus 6P did the same with T-Mobile as well.
    Doing what? Downloading T-Mobile apps? That may have been from your backup if anything. I had a 6P and it didn't install any T-Mobile apps.
    10-21-2016 12:49 AM
    The Nexus 6 reacted the same way with the bloat. the trick was to activate the phone without the sim in, then install the sim after
    diesteldorf likes this.
    10-21-2016 12:49 AM

I read that the Verizon pixel has to be activated on Verizon first... I wonder if that is really true or not.
    10-21-2016 07:54 AM
    "Verizon Bloat" is 3 apps on the Pixel. And they're easily uninstalled if you don't want them.
    popezaphod, tdizzel and benjamminh like this.
    10-21-2016 07:58 AM
    "Verizon Bloat" is 3 apps on the Pixel.
    It's more of the principle...a sim free phone wouldn't have any carrier apps. Now the Verizon version I understand
    10-21-2016 08:01 AM
    It's more of the principle...a sim free phone wouldn't have any carrier apps. Now the Verizon version I understand
    I hear ya. Makes sense. 👍
    10-21-2016 08:05 AM
    I agree but it makes me a lot happier that they can be removed.
    10-21-2016 08:10 AM
    I agree but it makes me a lot happier that they can be removed.
    I agree with this, I am a VZW user and hated that at most I could only disable the various bloatware on my phone not fully remove it. This partially gives me the hope that the system updates will come as quickly as unlocked phones as promised. This is definitely a departure from normal VZW practices.
    10-21-2016 08:19 AM
    Not sure HOW or WHY but I got my Pixel XL yesterday and set it up by cable from old 6P to P XL . transferred all apps and "NO" Verizon apps are currently on the Pixel XL. no deletion on my part.
    10-21-2016 08:45 AM
    I agree with this, I am a VZW user and hated that at most I could only disable the various bloatware on my phone not fully remove it. This partially gives me the hope that the system updates will come as quickly as unlocked phones as promised. This is definitely a departure from normal VZW practices.
    Updates will come quickly.. i already got one the other day.
    10-21-2016 08:58 AM
    I don't think the phone trying to download it is to big of a deal since you can just cancel the download as soon as it starts. If it does finish you can just easily remove them. Its a lot better then trying to disable everything I'm sure if you were to activate with out a sim card it probably would not download anything.
    10-21-2016 09:37 AM
    The Nexus 6 reacted the same way with the bloat. the trick was to activate the phone without the sim in, then install the sim after
    Yup. I believe this feature was added to Android with Lollipop. The sim card would trigger the phone to install certain carrier specific apps in a separate partition.

The Verizon bloatware criticism should be a non-issue with this phone, since all 3 apps can easily be removed AND even Google purchased phones will get those same apps installed if it recognizes a Verizon sim during the setup process.
    Aquila likes this.
    10-21-2016 05:06 PM