01-31-2017 11:22 AM
166 12345 ...
tools
    Disclaimer: I am coming from a LG G3. . T Mobile network.

When I set the two phones side by side, the G3 shows a stronger signal, both cell and WiFi.

Even standing next to the router, the pixel does not show all bars on WiFi.

That being said, I was out and about today and drove through 3 places where my G3 would always drop calls and lose all data connection.

I made a call as I was going through each location. The pixel never dropped a call, and even showed HD calling the whole time. I stopped at one spot and jumped online as I was on a call.

No issues what so ever.

So, it could be that the pixel graph is just calibrated differently than my G3. But it is a night and day difference in phone quality.

Also, while I was at the T-mo store last night. The T-mo guy changed my APN settings. On their web site is a page to fine tune for pixel.

So not sure it it was the apn tweak or its just better.. But either way, signal strength rocks
    This is encouraging!
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    10-22-2016 01:31 PM
    That seems strange to me, my Note 5 consistently sits between -100 and -105 at my house and never once dropped a call. I hope this doesn't mean that the Pixel XL will.
    The difference may be that when I'm on the phone, I tend to move throughout my house, maybe it's dropping more when I do that... I take my measurements sitting in one spot, with the phone away from my face. I have read that you can lose some signal strength when you put it up to your head.

I don't know either, but reading this post is making me VERY nervous... just about nervous enough to make me cancel my order for the Pixel XL and go with the S7 Edge. The only reason I didn't do that to begin with is the 32GB limitation... (I'm replacing my GN7) <arghh...>

I do have 14 days with Verizon to return though... probably just try it and see.
    10-22-2016 02:17 PM
    The difference may be that when I'm on the phone, I tend to move throughout my house, maybe it's dropping more when I do that... I take my measurements sitting in one spot, with the phone away from my face. I have read that you can lose some signal strength when you put it up to your head.

I don't know either, but reading this post is making me VERY nervous... just about nervous enough to make me cancel my order for the Pixel XL and go with the S7 Edge. The only reason I didn't do that to begin with is the 32GB limitation... (I'm replacing my GN7) <arghh...>

I do have 14 days with Verizon to return though... probably just try it and see.
    I wouldn't get nervous yet. By the end of next week signal strength should be clearer from people posting.
    10-22-2016 04:10 PM
    Anyone in outlying areas with normally iffy reception able to report comparisons? I feel like I'm talking to people on Match.com, when I need to be on FarmersOnly.com! :-)
    Amele likes this.
    10-22-2016 04:21 PM
    We have real numbers:

The RF evolution/revolution of the HTC 2016 Nexus - S4GRU Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

This is a deal breaker for me. What has happened to HTC? The A9 had terrible signal and this is not much better.
    I don't see the Pixel mentioned here... what am I missing?
    10-22-2016 04:29 PM
    I don't see the Pixel mentioned here... what am I missing?
    They are 2PW4100-Pixel XL, 2PW2100-Pixel.
    10-22-2016 04:33 PM
    The lower the better... So -97 dBm is better than -110.
    Technically, that is really higher. -97 is a bigger number than -110.

I've seen this said several times on these boards and finally just had to comment because, well, math.
    10-22-2016 04:47 PM
    My initial usage and looking at the signal strength show that in my area the N7 and Pixel XL are identical, which is to say average. My Pixel does seem to switch back to 4G faster, but I have not had enough use to be sure that is real.
    10-22-2016 04:49 PM
    Technically, that is really higher. -97 is a bigger number than -110.

I've seen this said several times on these boards and finally just had to comment because, well, math.
    Eh -- you know what I meant. No reason to be super picky about it lol.
    10-22-2016 04:55 PM
    Eh -- you know what I meant. No reason to be super picky about it lol.
    I know, like I said, I've seen several folks say it, and it each time I see it it tweaks my OCD.
    10-22-2016 04:59 PM
    Anyone in outlying areas with normally iffy reception able to report comparisons? I feel like I'm talking to people on Match.com, when I need to be on FarmersOnly.com! :-)

Lol. Dude I spend most days in the pickers. This is my first non moto phone since Nokia in 1999. Will keep you posted.
    10-22-2016 05:42 PM
    Hey guys, I'm on Verizon and could get no service until I found the APN settings in cellular network settings and selected Verizon, now I'm getting better service than my wife's s7 edge, before I couldn't get anything.
    jephanie likes this.
    10-22-2016 09:15 PM
    I did get the OTA for the wifi and I can't see that it helped much, maybe a little. When my wifi is
    strong (which is rarely) it gets on fine, but when it's sort of middling, it doesn't. The Note could and did get online with that middling area of wifi which is where the wifi sits usually. We'll see. I do like the phone in general particularly since I have found some apps to do the things I was missing most in the Note.
    10-23-2016 12:13 AM
    Hi,

Some background - in the past I've had a Nexus 5 which always had terrible battery life despite being replaced a few times so I assumed it was normal - it seemed to drain whether I was using it or not. I then switched to an iPhone 6, which always had comparatively awesome battery life and if I didn't use it would hardly use anything and would last for days. Same with my work iPhone SE - if I don't use it then I only charge it every few days.

I've now switched back to a Pixel XL. Fantastic phone and glad to be back on android, but seems to exhibit the exact same battery issue as the Nexus 5 - what gives? I barely used the phone last night and didn't charge it overnight, and now it's mostly drained? Here's the screens:

Pixel XL signal strength-screenshot_20161023-101256.jpgPixel XL signal strength-screenshot_20161023-101250.jpgPixel XL signal strength-screenshot_20161023-101241.jpg

The only thing I can see is that the network quality looks consistently terrible, which doesn't make sense as this is all in a city (Calgary, Canada) and I have no issues with call quality/speed. The Nexus 5 looked the same. Is there something I'm missing? Carrier is Koodo on all these phones.

If anyone has any idea what is wrong here the help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    10-23-2016 11:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from General Help to the Pixel forum, since I thought it would be most useful for other Pixel users to chime in. However, I will note that my 6P has also been exhibiting increased Android System/OS battery percentage use, with similar usage graphs, so I wonder if there might be an issue with Nougat.
    10-24-2016 06:50 AM
    To eliminate the network quality, turn data off overnight and see what it looks like.

My next test would be to leave data off for a night and then turn on wifi to see what that does to the battery.
    10-24-2016 06:56 AM
    Thanks - that probably should have been my first action, but I went straight into disabling LTE instead and that seems to have calmed the background draining and made my battery behave like it should. This is last night, with me being unable to sleep, 2h 43m SOT:

Pixel XL signal strength-screenshot_20161024-080949.jpg

Of course though, I'd like to leave LTE on, and I shouldn't have to do this! Is there a possible network issue with my carrier and LTE?
    10-24-2016 09:18 AM
    Hey guys, I'm on Verizon and could get no service until I found the APN settings in cellular network settings and selected Verizon, now I'm getting better service than my wife's s7 edge, before I couldn't get anything.
    mine is selceted ( no other option ) and still terrible service.
    10-24-2016 11:27 AM
    OK so I am not sure what the asu numbers mean but so far signal is not good. I havent seen anything above -100. and still getting drops or trouble talking. Usually its the other person cant hear me. I am thinking of calling it in. I doubt there is anything they can do but who knows. I did notice the advanced calling is there now. NOt sure if that was some update, but it wasnt there as of saturday.
    10-24-2016 11:32 AM
    mine is selceted ( no other option ) and still terrible service.
    Well I'm not sure what to tell you, I've had no problems after I found the APN settings. Like I said I had my wife's s7 edge and was comparing.
    10-24-2016 11:46 AM
    OK so I am not sure what the asu numbers mean but so far signal is not good. I havent seen anything above -100. and still getting drops or trouble talking. Usually its the other person cant hear me. I am thinking of calling it in. I doubt there is anything they can do but who knows. I did notice the advanced calling is there now. NOt sure if that was some update, but it wasnt there as of saturday.
    Maybe you have a bad unit?
    10-24-2016 11:53 AM
    My advice for everyone having concerns is to try the phone out yourself and see how it works for you. Numbers don't mean crap. I commute 65 miles each way for work, most of which is over iffy reception. The Nexus 6p was touted as having amazing reception. IMO it sucks, and is by far the worst phone I've ever had as far as holding onto weaker cell signal.

FWIW my Note 7 was amazing and by far the best phone I've had in that regard.
    10-24-2016 12:11 PM
    I get mine in probably .. 40-50 minutes from now so I will be able to start checking .
    10-24-2016 12:14 PM
    My advice for everyone having concerns is to try the phone out yourself and see how it works for you. Numbers don't mean crap. I commute 65 miles each way for work, most of which is over iffy reception. The Nexus 6p was touted as having amazing reception. IMO it sucks, and is by far the worst phone I've ever had as far as holding onto weaker cell signal.

FWIW my Note 7 was amazing and by far the best phone I've had in that regard.
    i only started looking at numbers after having a problem. and yes so far either note7 was better then this, signal wise and the best I have had.
    10-24-2016 12:41 PM
    My pixel xl has been doing a little better on the wi-fi, just a little but enough to make me optimistic. The Verizon signal is usually ok unless the weather is really bad but sometimes it takes almost 4 minutes (I timed it) to actually show the signal, to really be online with the network, where I live.
    But I am at the very back of a 3 house compound, with a ton of trees so I am not surprised. And Verizon is the only company that works even that well around here. Go six blocks south and T mobile works ok but not here. Weird. But what I am saying in my usual overly long way is that the signal strength both wifi and Verizon has improved a little since I first set up the phone.
    10-24-2016 01:15 PM
166 12345 ...