Pixel XL signal strength

w8tnonu22

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed that my antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as my note 7. Also the signal icon will not say 3g but the pull down does and I won't have signal. would the Verizon 4g sim affect this any?

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that my antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as my note 7. Also the signal icon will not say 3g but the pull down does and I won't have signal. would the Verizon 4g sim affect this any?

I went from the lgg4, note7, s7e, note7, iphone 5s, pixel xl in the last 2 months. So the g4 did not have wifi calling but was ok in my house (which is terrible). Sometimes I had to go to the door or window. The first note7, s7e and second note7 were greatly enhanced by the wifi calling BUT still had issue even with that. The iphone has ZERO issues. even when my wife had used it. It is even better then her new iphone 7. Now the pixel xl and my less then 24 hours. Actually not good. Yesterday I needed to call verizon because I could not activate the phone, not enough signal and a big red flag.

Then I called back and the line kept dropping even with wifi calling. Also btw the note7 told me when it was using the wifi, so far i dont see it on the pixel. I have since been using it and while driving lost calls. This really neve happened with any of my devices since switching to verizon. Sprint yes happend all the time.

Isn't this suppose to have excellent antena? Isn't that what HTC and moto are known for? isnt that why we have a glass back?

w8tnonu22

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
It definitely doesn't compare to the note7 I just activated my old sim in it from my note to eliminate that possibility. Does yours say no sim when starting up and detects it about 10 seconds after starting up.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I went from the lgg4, note7, s7e, note7, iphone 5s, pixel xl in the last 2 months. So the g4 did not have wifi calling but was ok in my house (which is terrible). Sometimes I had to go to the door or window. The first note7, s7e and second note7 were greatly enhanced by the wifi calling BUT still had issue even with that. The iphone has ZERO issues. even when my wife had used it. It is even better then her new iphone 7. Now the pixel xl and my less then 24 hours. Actually not good. Yesterday I needed to call verizon because I could not activate the phone, not enough signal and a big red flag.

Then I called back and the line kept dropping even with wifi calling. Also btw the note7 told me when it was using the wifi, so far i dont see it on the pixel. I have since been using it and while driving lost calls. This really neve happened with any of my devices since switching to verizon. Sprint yes happend all the time.

Isn't this suppose to have excellent antena? Isn't that what HTC and moto are known for? isnt that why we have a glass back?

According to S4GRU.com RF performance of the Pixel phones are "typically average or slightly below." from looking at FCC docs.

Doesn't look to good to me for RF reception..........:(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Always ensure to check the actual -dBm signal strength within the phone settings / network info area. Bars can be calculated VERY differently from phone to phone. The -dBm is the true strength so you will know how good it is.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This is disappointing to hear. One of the reviewers (can't remember which since I've watch so many) said the reception was excellent - probably due to the glass back. The poor reception would be a deal breaker for me. I'm already using the Nexus 6p which is a great phone and something I can keep for another year if I don't move to the Pixel. I'll wait to hear more feedback. I was hoping the Pixel would have better reception than then Nexus 6p. As it is my S7 edges out the 6p in the reception department.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This is disturbing. How real world are these numbers usually?

Check out S4GRU.com. "Go to The Wall" upper left corner. Look for "The RF evolution/revolution of the HTC 2016 Nexus". There is a chart showing dBm strengths for The Pixels and various phones as per FCC docs. The author of the article ordered a Pixel XL at launch so we should get more input soon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will report back here on Monday when I get mine. Since I have my signal in -dBm all the time I can report how the areas I frequent weather with the Pixel XL versus my previous phones.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I also recall a reviewer, can't remember which one saying the signal strength of their test device was really good. He attributed this to the glass back and also further stated the wifi signal also stellar was helped by the glass back. Could this partially be the reason for the top third glass backing? Sounds like it's not working tho so maybe this theory doesn't hold much credence.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I also recall a reviewer, can't remember which one saying the signal strength of their test device was really good. He attributed this to the glass back and also further stated the wifi signal also stellar was helped by the glass back. Could this partially be the reason for the top third glass backing? Sounds like it's not working tho so maybe this theory doesn't hold much credence.

I think a particular phone may have different RF performance on different carrier bands.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't travelled with it yet , but at home it's comparable to my Note 7, and gets faster LTE download speeds on Verizon LTE where I live. I reset my Note 7 already, so I didn't compare actual signal strength numbers.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
So far, my dBm readings are essentially the same as I have seen for other phones. Maybe 1 or 2 dBm worse, but nothing significant. LTE speeds are very fast. I am on AT&T.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
super disappointing to hear for me, too. I live in a somewhat remote area, and only the best antennas on phones will work for me. It will definitely be going back if it's not as good as the GN7. Hope the OP has a random issue.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Always ensure to check the actual -dBm signal strength within the phone settings / network info area. Bars can be calculated VERY differently from phone to phone. The -dBm is the true strength so you will know how good it is.

I'm definitely going to take readings from my GN7 (yes, still cheating death every day!) and the Pixel XL and see if they're the same. I sure hope so...