01-31-2017 11:22 AM
166 123 ...
tools
    I've noticed that my antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as my note 7. Also the signal icon will not say 3g but the pull down does and I won't have signal. would the Verizon 4g sim affect this any?
    recDNA likes this.
    10-21-2016 09:55 AM
    I've noticed that my antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as my note 7. Also the signal icon will not say 3g but the pull down does and I won't have signal. would the Verizon 4g sim affect this any?
    I went from the lgg4, note7, s7e, note7, iphone 5s, pixel xl in the last 2 months. So the g4 did not have wifi calling but was ok in my house (which is terrible). Sometimes I had to go to the door or window. The first note7, s7e and second note7 were greatly enhanced by the wifi calling BUT still had issue even with that. The iphone has ZERO issues. even when my wife had used it. It is even better then her new iphone 7. Now the pixel xl and my less then 24 hours. Actually not good. Yesterday I needed to call verizon because I could not activate the phone, not enough signal and a big red flag.

Then I called back and the line kept dropping even with wifi calling. Also btw the note7 told me when it was using the wifi, so far i dont see it on the pixel. I have since been using it and while driving lost calls. This really neve happened with any of my devices since switching to verizon. Sprint yes happend all the time.

Isn't this suppose to have excellent antena? Isn't that what HTC and moto are known for? isnt that why we have a glass back?
    10-21-2016 10:14 AM
    It definitely doesn't compare to the note7 I just activated my old sim in it from my note to eliminate that possibility. Does yours say no sim when starting up and detects it about 10 seconds after starting up.
    recDNA likes this.
    10-21-2016 10:59 AM
    I went from the lgg4, note7, s7e, note7, iphone 5s, pixel xl in the last 2 months. So the g4 did not have wifi calling but was ok in my house (which is terrible). Sometimes I had to go to the door or window. The first note7, s7e and second note7 were greatly enhanced by the wifi calling BUT still had issue even with that. The iphone has ZERO issues. even when my wife had used it. It is even better then her new iphone 7. Now the pixel xl and my less then 24 hours. Actually not good. Yesterday I needed to call verizon because I could not activate the phone, not enough signal and a big red flag.

Then I called back and the line kept dropping even with wifi calling. Also btw the note7 told me when it was using the wifi, so far i dont see it on the pixel. I have since been using it and while driving lost calls. This really neve happened with any of my devices since switching to verizon. Sprint yes happend all the time.

Isn't this suppose to have excellent antena? Isn't that what HTC and moto are known for? isnt that why we have a glass back?
    According to S4GRU.com RF performance of the Pixel phones are "typically average or slightly below." from looking at FCC docs.

Doesn't look to good to me for RF reception..........
    recDNA likes this.
    10-21-2016 11:00 AM
    Always ensure to check the actual -dBm signal strength within the phone settings / network info area. Bars can be calculated VERY differently from phone to phone. The -dBm is the true strength so you will know how good it is.
    juliesdroidsync likes this.
    10-21-2016 11:01 AM
    I had to hit retry about 20 times to activate when I was in my house...
    recDNA likes this.
    10-21-2016 11:10 AM
    Always ensure to check the actual -dBm signal strength within the phone settings / network info area. Bars can be calculated VERY differently from phone to phone. The -dBm is the true strength so you will know how good it is.
    This is a great app for checking -dBm strength. I recommend the Pro version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ignalchecklite
    Almeuit, dsignori and Aquila like this.
    10-21-2016 11:24 AM
    This is a great app for checking -dBm strength. I recommend the Pro version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ignalchecklite
    Oh I use it (always in the top left) so I can see the real signal. I figure most don't want that 24/7 so I suggest just looking in the settings on each phone in the same location to compare the strength .
    10-21-2016 11:27 AM
    According to S4GRU.com RF performance of the Pixel phones are "typically average or slightly below." from looking at FCC docs.
    This is disturbing. How real world are these numbers usually?
    10-21-2016 11:33 AM
    This is disappointing to hear. One of the reviewers (can't remember which since I've watch so many) said the reception was excellent - probably due to the glass back. The poor reception would be a deal breaker for me. I'm already using the Nexus 6p which is a great phone and something I can keep for another year if I don't move to the Pixel. I'll wait to hear more feedback. I was hoping the Pixel would have better reception than then Nexus 6p. As it is my S7 edges out the 6p in the reception department.
    tonyr6 and juliesdroidsync like this.
    10-21-2016 11:49 AM
    This is disturbing. How real world are these numbers usually?
    Check out S4GRU.com. "Go to The Wall" upper left corner. Look for "The RF evolution/revolution of the HTC 2016 Nexus". There is a chart showing dBm strengths for The Pixels and various phones as per FCC docs. The author of the article ordered a Pixel XL at launch so we should get more input soon.
    10-21-2016 11:58 AM
    I will report back here on Monday when I get mine. Since I have my signal in -dBm all the time I can report how the areas I frequent weather with the Pixel XL versus my previous phones.
    Wiley_11 and juliesdroidsync like this.
    10-21-2016 12:00 PM
    I also recall a reviewer, can't remember which one saying the signal strength of their test device was really good. He attributed this to the glass back and also further stated the wifi signal also stellar was helped by the glass back. Could this partially be the reason for the top third glass backing? Sounds like it's not working tho so maybe this theory doesn't hold much credence.
    10-21-2016 12:38 PM
    I also recall a reviewer, can't remember which one saying the signal strength of their test device was really good. He attributed this to the glass back and also further stated the wifi signal also stellar was helped by the glass back. Could this partially be the reason for the top third glass backing? Sounds like it's not working tho so maybe this theory doesn't hold much credence.
    I think a particular phone may have different RF performance on different carrier bands.
    10-21-2016 12:49 PM
    I haven't travelled with it yet , but at home it's comparable to my Note 7, and gets faster LTE download speeds on Verizon LTE where I live. I reset my Note 7 already, so I didn't compare actual signal strength numbers.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-21-2016 12:50 PM
    It helps a lot if you post carrier and location for signal strength reports for your phone.
    gabbott likes this.
    10-21-2016 01:09 PM
    So far, my dBm readings are essentially the same as I have seen for other phones. Maybe 1 or 2 dBm worse, but nothing significant. LTE speeds are very fast. I am on AT&T.
    Wiley_11 and planoman like this.
    10-21-2016 01:25 PM
    Mine are the exactly same as my Note 7 are / were. No issues thus far.
    10-21-2016 02:47 PM
    super disappointing to hear for me, too. I live in a somewhat remote area, and only the best antennas on phones will work for me. It will definitely be going back if it's not as good as the GN7. Hope the OP has a random issue.
    10-21-2016 03:07 PM
    I'm definitely going to take readings from my GN7 (yes, still cheating death every day!) and the Pixel XL and see if they're the same. I sure hope so...
    10-21-2016 03:45 PM
    I would like to ask this question as well since t was mentioned about the wifi calling. Why is it that the IPhones whether it be 6s or 7 that I've had do very well on wifi calling and all of my Android devices really suck at it? We have to LG V10's here that rarely ever show that it is using wifi calling and I've had an HTC 10 that was slightly better and then my Note 7 was the best but by no means close to the iPhone. Is there something inherently different between OS's or chipsets or modems? I'm not sure hoping someone has some insight here.
    10-21-2016 03:52 PM
    I'm on the Verizon network, so far I've been comparing signal strength with my note 7. On 4g sitting side by side they are the same, but when it drops to 3g due to being in a metal building. The note 7 is getting - 97 and the pixel is - 105
    10-21-2016 04:38 PM
    I'm on the Verizon network, so far I've been comparing signal strength with my note 7. On 4g sitting side by side they are the same, but when it drops to 3g due to being in a metal building. The note 7 is getting - 97 and the pixel is - 105
    That actually is significant... -97 to -105... every drop of -3 dBm is the equivalent of cutting the power in half... You have a drop of 8 dBm... So you cut it in half, cut it in half again, and almost cut it in half a 3rd time...

reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm
    tonyr6 likes this.
    10-21-2016 06:00 PM
    It's very frustrating. The phone is so smooth but the connectivity issues are probably going to be a deal breaker. I can't connect to my wifi at work either. It's a captive portal and it won't direct me to the login page
    10-21-2016 07:09 PM
    So what's it suppose to be? Is -97 better or worse then -110? Also if someone knows, what it the number where it may drop a call?
    notacoach likes this.
    10-21-2016 07:30 PM
166 123 ...