Best Buy Pixel XL Experience

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I checked my local best buy last night and they had 32GB XL's in stock (Very Silver), so I ordered one and selected store pick up. I received the confirmation this morning and it is now in my possession. Much easier process than pre-ordering from the Google Store.

I just canceled my pre order since I won't be needing it anymore (32GB XL Black). Order was placed on 10/7 and no movement.

So, a few things about the Best Buy Pixel
1. It is an unlocked device
2. The phone and packaging have no Verizon logos
3. The phone has a Verizon SIM card already installed

I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

So far, on T-Mobile, there are no updates, but everything works with the Verizon Pixel that I purchased at Best Buy.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I checked my local best buy last night and they had 32GB XL's in stock (Very Silver), so I ordered one and selected store pick up. I received the confirmation this morning and it is now in my possession. Much easier process than pre-ordering from the Google Store.

I just canceled my pre order since I won't be needing it anymore (32GB XL Black). Order was placed on 10/7 and no movement.

I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

So far, on T-Mobile, there are no updates, but everything works with the Verizon Pixel that I purchased at Best Buy.

Do they have a restocking fee for return?

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
They got rid of restocking fees for a long while, but last night in store they said they brought it back.

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
...I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

What three apps? I left the Verizon SIM in and use it on the VzW network. I got a system update, but no apps (from Verizon at least).

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
man, was going to buy one from best buy and return it next week. never mind they had 2 and I had to help a customer, not they are all gone.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
They got rid of restocking fees for a long while, but last night in store they said they brought it back.

I was a previous Note 7 user, and picked up a Moto G4 Play from Best Buy to use for two weeks while my Pixel XL arrived. Yesterday, I returned the Moto G4 and there was no restocking fee.

Is it after 14 days, then a re-stock fee is charged with Best Buy?

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
My concern/question would be.... . Whete do the updates come from? The whole reason to go with an unlocked phone is to get updates directly from Google.

If the phone from BB is still a "Verizon" phone, does that mean Verizon controls the updates?

This would defeat the purpose for me. . Might as well just get whatever junk T-Mo is pushing this week.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for that good information.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
so Best Buy let you buy it without activate on VZW? wow..

Yes, I ordered online and did an in store pick up. I also got the free Chromecast, not sure about the $100 gift card, I have to follow up with them. I think you have to activate through Best Buy to get the gift card.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was a previous Note 7 user, and picked up a Moto G4 Play from Best Buy to use for two weeks while my Pixel XL arrived. Yesterday, I returned the Moto G4 and there was no restocking fee.

Is it after 14 days, then a re-stock fee is charged with Best Buy?

From my experience even if it is within 14 days they still charge you the restocking fee. I'm sure they can override it, but the policy states that there is a fee

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My concern/question would be.... . Whete do the updates come from? The whole reason to go with an unlocked phone is to get updates directly from Google.

If the phone from BB is still a "Verizon" phone, does that mean Verizon controls the updates?

This would defeat the purpose for me. . Might as well just get whatever junk T-Mo is pushing this week.

Even though they call it the "Verizon Pixel", it's still the same phone that you order from the google store. I believe that once you place a Verizon SIM in the phone and use Verizon service, that's when Verizon can push what they want to the phone. Having said that, I found this statement from Google.

Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s | Ars Technica

I don't have any concerns with the Best Buy "Verizon" Pixel. It's working great with T-Mobile service. I would equate this to how Apple controls their iPhone updates. I don't believe that any carrier has control over what iPhone updates are pushed without Apple's consent. When the iPhone was first released it was solely on AT&T but Apple still controlled all the updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci