Best Buy Pixel XL Experience

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy is selling the 32Gb Pixel for $699 while the Google store is $649! Verizon tax is bad!

Best Buy does price matching on the Pixel. You just have to tell them that Verizon has it for $649 and they will match it. I did that with my Pixel XL and received a credit back to my card.

lcal

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
That's correct. If the phone's got Verizon branding then they'll still have their own apps and be in control of when the device is updated software wise. It's only when you activate an unlocked device on a carrier that the OM still controls the software updates and the carrier doesn't get to install any of their proprietary apps.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Got this from google.

They said the 63P is for Verizon locked phones.

So why do they say "However, now we would be pushing this update on Google store purchases as well"? This tells me that the NDE63P is still the same build for all pixels. In addition, the phones are not locked. If that were the case, my T-Mobile SIM would not work in the "Verizon" Pixel that I purchased from BB.

You can even flash your pixel with the NDE63P build from here:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota

Jeffm201

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I confirmed as well. Google support said the 63P is a Verizon specific build and that the 63N version I am on is the correct build for non Verizon phones.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
can you only get the 32 GB at Best Buy?

From my experience and what they are advertising, it is only the 32GB. Having said that, I've seen some forum posts where folks are going to their local BB and asking if 128GB Pixels are available. Some people are having luck, you should check with your local BB.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am on the 63P build and I'm on Verizon. The phone received that update. It didn't come on the phone initially. I got my phone from Google and not from Verizon. I put my Verizon sim in it and it was good to go. Verizon messages, go90 and my Verizon didn't install automatically. I hope this helps someone.

bizziet

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
FWIW just left Best Buy in Gainesville FL and they had 3 Pixel XL 32gb in Stock. $799.99. I asked the girl if they price matched and she said yes. All she asked was for me to pull up Verizon website and show her the price. I did and she matched the price and Best Buy is including a free Chromecast with pixel purchases. I'm still waiting on my 128gb silver to ship end of Nov from Playstore.

Last edited:

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
...Best Buy is including a free Chromecast with pixel purchases...

Did you activate on Verizon? My local Best Buy wouldn't include a Chromecast since I did not activate on Verizon. They also did not give me the $100 gift card for the same reason.

bizziet

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I told her I have T-mobile and she tried to explain to me I wouldn't be able to use it because it's Verizon's phone. I told her it was unlocked and a man, I assume manager, overheard and said it was unlocked and was eligible for free Chromecast just not the $200 gift card. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay