Best Buy Pixel XL Experience

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
In regards to the return time and restocking fee; this can all depend on your level within the Best Buy Rewards program. I'm not sure if they treat phones differently, but you get more days before returns and higher likelihood of waived restocking fees if you're a member of the rewards program; and a gold/platinum member is even better.

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
yeah i am pretty sure it will work but who is going to push the updates to the phone? i think that part needs to be figured out....i also heard the vzw one has a locked bootloader on it.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
As I try to respond and the damn lag on my G3 causes me the have to hit the screen 5 or 6 times for it to respond.

I just looked at the BB web site, under FAQ's on the pixel, that is one of the questions asked.

It says, bootloader is locked (no big deal, don't plan to root). All updates, both OS and monthly security, come from Google.

The question is. . Do I believe them. . I distrust the carrier's that much, that this would be a deal breaker and I would go with a 6P

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I was a previous Note 7 user, and picked up a Moto G4 Play from Best Buy to use for two weeks while my Pixel XL arrived. Yesterday, I returned the Moto G4 and there was no restocking fee.

Is it after 14 days, then a re-stock fee is charged with Best Buy?

I don't see anything about it on BestBuy.com so wonder if it is store-by-store policy ?
But, for those thinking to test and return may be better to hit swappa since it is out of stock and may be able to sell it easily.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Is Best Buy selling for the same price as Google and Verizon?

It used to seem that their prices were higher if you tried to purchase a phone outright that wasn't tied to an existing line or account.

Jeffm201

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Silver Pixel XL from Best Buy and they were pretty adamant about it only working with Verizon even though I explained what others have done. So I bought it anyway trusting others on here but come to find out, Sprint is a f*cking hassel to deal with when it comes to bringing your own phone. You have to have a specific SIM for phones brought in from the outside and NO STORES CARRY IT. They had to order me one and it will be here in 3-5 days! So im stuck with an unactivated Pixel which sucks, plus not knowing 100% whether or not it is truly locked to Verizon or not. Since it worked on T-Mobile I am guessing it really is unlocked.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Picked up 2 pixel XL's tonight from Best Buy.

Both the wife and I were tired of fighting with our old LG G3's.

The last 2 silvers they had.

Took them home and the G3 sims wouldn't fit, so back to T-mo to get new sims.

The T-mo guys were so excited to see a pixel, they set it up for me. . The one guy had a new LG V20. 😁.

I have had no issues with it on T-mo and everything is running smooth and fast.

If the V20 had been open sourced, it might have been a tough decision. But even the T-mo guy was complaining about it being locked.

So far, I Would tell anyone waiting for weeks for a phone, to go check out Best Buy

Jeffm201

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Picked up 2 pixel XL's tonight from Best Buy.

Both the wife and I were tired of fighting with our old LG G3's.

The last 2 silvers they had.

Took them home and the G3 sims wouldn't fit, so back to T-mo to get new sims.

The T-mo guys were so excited to see a pixel, they set it up for me. . The one guy had a new LG V20. ??????.

I have had no issues with it on T-mo and everything is running smooth and fast.

If the V20 had been open sourced, it might have been a tough decision. But even the T-mo guy was complaining about it being locked.

So far, I Would tell anyone waiting for weeks for a phone, to go check out Best Buy

This is good news, thanks. Gives me hope for when my Sprint SIM comes in, it will work with the Best Buy "Verizon" phone.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if turning the phone on the first time without the VZ sim will make a difference on who does the future updates. The VZ bloat did not download for the OP, and TMo wifi calling and VOLTE worked when turned on with a TMo sim. Perhaps the phone is only "tied" to VZ if it is initially booted with their sim.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I did read that in another thread, it said if you fire it up with the Verizon sim in. . Verizon sees it and it is tied to them.

Not sure if that is the case, so didn't take any chances. . I waited until I put my T-mo sim in before I fired it up.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The update Verizon pushed was to fix a WiFi connectivity issue. I noticed that WiFi was dropping for me. I restarted the phone and it was okay for about 5 - 6 hours then it would happen again. Last night I popped in the Verizon SIM and the system update began downloading (About 34MB) and updated my Pixel to version NDE63P from NDE63N.

WiFi is much improved thankfully. After the update was done, I removed the Verizon SIM and popped in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works fine.

On another note, I did see a notification to activate the phone when I had the Verizon SIM in the Pixel, but I just ignored that. So, all I received was the update and no Verizon bloatware.

As far as saving the SIM card I will, but since Google has not pushed out any updates, I think the Pixels without a Verizon SIM will receive Google's updates without an issue, however, we will have to wait and see.

Jeffm201

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Well after FINALLY finding a Sprint store in town that had a universal sim card, my Best Buy pixel is fully operational! This is a great work around if you don't want Verizon and can't get one through the Google store. Plus Best Buy has 12 month financing if you have a card with them. Win win!

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't see anything about it on BestBuy.com so wonder if it is store-by-store policy ?
But, for those thinking to test and return may be better to hit swappa since it is out of stock and may be able to sell it easily.
I can tell you I got an iPhone to try out before my Pixel comes. When I bought they said there was a $35 restocking fee if I returned it. I returned it and got all my money back last week; no restocking fee was charged. Is it supposed to be on your Verizon bill or is Best Buy supposed to charge it?