Best Buy Pixel XL Experience

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I checked my local best buy last night and they had 32GB XL's in stock (Very Silver), so I ordered one and selected store pick up. I received the confirmation this morning and it is now in my possession. Much easier process than pre-ordering from the Google Store.

I just canceled my pre order since I won't be needing it anymore (32GB XL Black). Order was placed on 10/7 and no movement.

So, a few things about the Best Buy Pixel
1. It is an unlocked device
2. The phone and packaging have no Verizon logos
3. The phone has a Verizon SIM card already installed

I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

So far, on T-Mobile, there are no updates, but everything works with the Verizon Pixel that I purchased at Best Buy.

So at what point does the bootloader get locked, I wonder? Not that it really matters to me, but will matter to some. It may however matter to me when I try to sell it... Does anyone know?

peetah21

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
For those of you who purchased your Verizon Pixel XL at Bestbuy, how much was it? As of right now, Bestbuy site doesn't list any XLs just the regular Pixel.

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
For those of you who purchased your Verizon Pixel XL at Bestbuy, how much was it? As of right now, Bestbuy site doesn't list any XLs just the regular Pixel.

The one on their website listed as the $31/mo is the pixel xl. It is listed incorrectly as a non xl. At the store, they sell the phone for $750 (if you ask). Its listed at $800.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
That is not true. At least not on T-mobile.

No stinking Verizon sim, has violated my Pixel when the power has been turned on.

And I have gotten an update within minutes of firing it up.

While I was at Best Buy the goole rep was there, he also assured me that the updates come directly from Google

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well VRZ did say they will not mess with updates for Pixel phones. I dont see why its being a big deal as one the reasons we buy this phone because of SW updates

Jeffm201

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
For those who bought a Pixel from Best Buy but not using Verizon. What is your current Build? I am using Sprint on mine and my build is NDE63N. I've seen other users say they have Build NDE63P. So not sure what is the latest or if the 63P build is just for Verizon.

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
There is a restocking fee as everyone said, you might find a rep who lets it slide, but I would not hold your breath...

adebo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up for those who purchased at Best Buy. If you call into their care after purchase, they will price match Verizon's website. I received a partial refund pretty painlessly, the hold time was the longest part. I did not get a chromecast :( Ordered online and picked up in store.

Using mine on TMO as well, no issues at all. I did not boot up the phone with the Verizon card so did not receive any Verizon apps. Super impressed with the phone so far.

Jeffm201

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Just a heads up for those who purchased at Best Buy. If you call into their care after purchase, they will price match Verizon's website. I received a partial refund pretty painlessly, the hold time was the longest part. I did not get a chromecast :( Ordered online and picked up in store.

Using mine on TMO as well, no issues at all. I did not boot up the phone with the Verizon card so did not receive any Verizon apps. Super impressed with the phone so far.

Good looking out, I will call them today. What is your Build number? I am on NDE63N using Sprint on a Best Buy Pixel. There is a 63P update out there but it seems to be Verizon specific.

adebo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Good looking out, I will call them today. What is your Build number? I am on NDE63N using Sprint on a Best Buy Pixel. There is a 63P update out there but it seems to be Verizon specific.

Hoping to save people money, no reason to pay a premium! I have the same build number NDE63N.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I am on 2-year contract (yes, it's actually less expensive for me!) and I paid $299 for an XL, will get a $100 gift card, and already received a free 2nd Gen Chromecast.

NokFromApp

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Did you get any updates on the phone? There was an earlier conversation in this thread that you may only get updates if you insert the Verizon sim. That's the only thing holding me back. I don't care about a locked bootloader, but don't want to be swapping sim cards just to get updates

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought the verizon update was to fix wi fi assistant.
Perhaps. However, wouldn't that apply to all Pixels and not only those on the Verizon network? I'm interested to hear if those who have purchased directly from Google have also received the new build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21