11-01-2016 10:23 AM
122 123 ...
tools
    I checked my local best buy last night and they had 32GB XL's in stock (Very Silver), so I ordered one and selected store pick up. I received the confirmation this morning and it is now in my possession. Much easier process than pre-ordering from the Google Store.

I just canceled my pre order since I won't be needing it anymore (32GB XL Black). Order was placed on 10/7 and no movement.

So, a few things about the Best Buy Pixel
    1. It is an unlocked device
    2. The phone and packaging have no Verizon logos
    3. The phone has a Verizon SIM card already installed

I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

So far, on T-Mobile, there are no updates, but everything works with the Verizon Pixel that I purchased at Best Buy.
    10-21-2016 11:55 AM
    I checked my local best buy last night and they had 32GB XL's in stock (Very Silver), so I ordered one and selected store pick up. I received the confirmation this morning and it is now in my possession. Much easier process than pre-ordering from the Google Store.

I just canceled my pre order since I won't be needing it anymore (32GB XL Black). Order was placed on 10/7 and no movement.

I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

So far, on T-Mobile, there are no updates, but everything works with the Verizon Pixel that I purchased at Best Buy.
    Do they have a restocking fee for return?
    10-21-2016 12:13 PM
    They got rid of restocking fees for a long while, but last night in store they said they brought it back.
    10-21-2016 12:50 PM
    ...I have T-Mobile service and before I turned on the Pixel, I removed the Verizon SIM card and put in my T-Mobile SIM and everything works at this point. So, I think that if you turn on the phone with the Verizon SIM, it may check in with their network and begin the download of the 3 apps and the system update.

What three apps? I left the Verizon SIM in and use it on the VzW network. I got a system update, but no apps (from Verizon at least).
    ainfinity likes this.
    10-21-2016 12:51 PM
    man, was going to buy one from best buy and return it next week. never mind they had 2 and I had to help a customer, not they are all gone.
    10-21-2016 01:04 PM
    so Best Buy let you buy it without activate on VZW? wow..
    10-21-2016 01:12 PM
    They got rid of restocking fees for a long while, but last night in store they said they brought it back.
    I was a previous Note 7 user, and picked up a Moto G4 Play from Best Buy to use for two weeks while my Pixel XL arrived. Yesterday, I returned the Moto G4 and there was no restocking fee.

Is it after 14 days, then a re-stock fee is charged with Best Buy?
    10-21-2016 01:38 PM
    My concern/question would be.... . Whete do the updates come from? The whole reason to go with an unlocked phone is to get updates directly from Google.

If the phone from BB is still a "Verizon" phone, does that mean Verizon controls the updates?

This would defeat the purpose for me. . Might as well just get whatever junk T-Mo is pushing this week.
    murphcid and Tiko7523 like this.
    10-21-2016 01:45 PM
    Thank you for that good information.

imartez likes this.
    10-21-2016 01:55 PM
    Do they have a restocking fee for return?
    Yes, it is $35.
    10-21-2016 01:57 PM
    What three apps? I left the Verizon SIM in and use it on the VzW network. I got a system update, but no apps (from Verizon at least).
    I believe that they are My Verizon, Verizon Messages and go90.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-21-2016 01:59 PM
    so Best Buy let you buy it without activate on VZW? wow..
    Yes, I ordered online and did an in store pick up. I also got the free Chromecast, not sure about the $100 gift card, I have to follow up with them. I think you have to activate through Best Buy to get the gift card.
    10-21-2016 02:00 PM
    I was a previous Note 7 user, and picked up a Moto G4 Play from Best Buy to use for two weeks while my Pixel XL arrived. Yesterday, I returned the Moto G4 and there was no restocking fee.

From my experience even if it is within 14 days they still charge you the restocking fee. I'm sure they can override it, but the policy states that there is a fee
    10-21-2016 02:01 PM
    Can you verify that T-mobile wifi calling works on this Verizon device? Thanks
    10-21-2016 02:03 PM
    My concern/question would be.... . Whete do the updates come from? The whole reason to go with an unlocked phone is to get updates directly from Google.

If the phone from BB is still a "Verizon" phone, does that mean Verizon controls the updates?

This would defeat the purpose for me. . Might as well just get whatever junk T-Mo is pushing this week.
    Even though they call it the "Verizon Pixel", it's still the same phone that you order from the google store. I believe that once you place a Verizon SIM in the phone and use Verizon service, that's when Verizon can push what they want to the phone. Having said that, I found this statement from Google.

Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s | Ars Technica

I don't have any concerns with the Best Buy "Verizon" Pixel. It's working great with T-Mobile service. I would equate this to how Apple controls their iPhone updates. I don't believe that any carrier has control over what iPhone updates are pushed without Apple's consent. When the iPhone was first released it was solely on AT&T but Apple still controlled all the updates.
    10-21-2016 02:07 PM
    Can you verify that T-mobile wifi calling works on this Verizon device? Thanks
    Yes, it does. I just made a WiFi call.
    10-21-2016 02:10 PM
    Do you have to activate the included Verizon SIM in order to get the $100 GC and chromecast?
    10-21-2016 02:15 PM
    I am concerned about updates, since it was meant for Verizon
    10-21-2016 02:17 PM
    Do you have to activate the included Verizon SIM in order to get the $100 GC and chromecast?
    I got the chromecast, but still haven't verified about the $100 gift card
    10-21-2016 02:22 PM
    I am concerned about updates, since it was meant for Verizon
    Read this article. It should clear up your concerns.
    Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s | Ars Technica
    10-21-2016 02:23 PM
    In regards to the return time and restocking fee; this can all depend on your level within the Best Buy Rewards program. I'm not sure if they treat phones differently, but you get more days before returns and higher likelihood of waived restocking fees if you're a member of the rewards program; and a gold/platinum member is even better.
    10-21-2016 02:40 PM
    yeah i am pretty sure it will work but who is going to push the updates to the phone? i think that part needs to be figured out....i also heard the vzw one has a locked bootloader on it.
    10-21-2016 03:25 PM
    Yes, it does. I just made a WiFi call.
    Awesome. Thank you
    10-21-2016 03:32 PM
    As I try to respond and the damn lag on my G3 causes me the have to hit the screen 5 or 6 times for it to respond.

I just looked at the BB web site, under FAQ's on the pixel, that is one of the questions asked.

It says, bootloader is locked (no big deal, don't plan to root). All updates, both OS and monthly security, come from Google.

The question is. . Do I believe them. . I distrust the carrier's that much, that this would be a deal breaker and I would go with a 6P
    10-21-2016 03:34 PM

I don't see anything about it on BestBuy.com so wonder if it is store-by-store policy ?
    But, for those thinking to test and return may be better to hit swappa since it is out of stock and may be able to sell it easily.
    10-21-2016 04:12 PM
122 123 ...