Any moderate to heavy users think 32 GB will be enough with all the cloud storage options?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
We can save photos and videos right to Google Drive right, not just photos?

Not sure, I only use drive for documents, but I do have some pictures on there of household stuff for insurance etc. I actually use OneDrive for my photos and videos from my android and iPhone devices. Although you can upload them, they use data if not on wifi to play or download them and they never play as smoothly as when they are stored on your device, even with fast wifi. Which is why you might want to keep the last several on your Pixel to show people making 128 GB more handy than 32GB.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No, the least amount would be a 64GB for a moderate to heavy user in my opinion. With the camera being as good as it is on the Pixel XL, unless your set you pixel to delete your photos and videos after uploading them, they will consume a lot of space. A 4K video for a minute is about 375+ MB. Not even mentioning music. I would go for the 128 if your are a heavy user. I see tons of 32GB models on SWAPPA. I am sure many of them wished they had gotten the 128GB.

Depends on your definition of 'heavy user.' I've had a 32GB Nexus 6 for 2 years now (which also records at 4k) and have managed just fine with plenty of music stored on device, usually 1 or 2 games installed (no need for a whole library) as well as a couple of movies. Sure, if you have 128GB, you can store a lot more, but then.... wouldn't you really need 256GB? 512GB? 1TB? There is a minimum point which can be functional for the large majority, and I think that 32GB hits that point after affording space for the OS,etc. While some users - primarily those looking to record large sections of 4k video in short spans - might actually need 128GB, beyond that it's a matter of whether it's worth it to the individual to pay the premium in order to make managing avaialble space a lesser concern.

That said, I'd have gotten the 128GB if it had been available, but with it being an extra month out, have gone with the 32GB and am not concerned for it.

As to Swappa, you'll nearly always see more of the lower storage units on sale than higher for the simple reason that more of them are sold in the first place. But as to any on there now, it's likely people trying to make a quick buck flipping theirs due to the extreme demand and unavailability in the first place.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the storage they use. Apple cheaps out on the 32 GB nand and gives you storage that's 8x slower than the 256gb counterpart.

This is my concern with the 32GB unit. I suspect that the storage performance of the 128GB unit will be much improved. Hopefully someone will post some tests soon.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
We can save photos and videos right to Google Drive right, not just photos?

Drive files are handled differently. If you upload them with Drive, they count towards you quota.

Google Photos will automatically back up pictures and videos from your phone to your Google Drive container.... It's not quite Google Drive, just attached to it. You normally access then via Photos, but you can access the files in Drive.

Photos is a great service.. people should use it more than they do. Even non Pixel owners get unlimited photos and video storage, just with a few caveats... Photos are lightly compressed (there is little, if any loss). Videos are more heavily compressed.

But I am paying for an extra TB, so I upload at full res anyhow. And I never use 4K to begin with.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will say Google is very upfront about the unlimited photo/video at Full Resolution. When I first opened the app it told me about it and then you go to the actual settings and it says it again (and doesn't give an option to change since it is free). :). See below.

Attachments

• pixelstorageme.jpg
    pixelstorageme.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 34

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Easy answer. No. I have a lot of apps and some games take up a GB or more on their own. Add in pictures and videos you want locally for easy access and music then 32 isn't even close.

Tronmech

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a 32 GB nexus 5x, and it's less than half full. While I use it a lot, I don't keep much on it.. My 16gb LG K10 was getting full though. The OS partition eat up a large portion of a smaller phone..

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
A friend told me just to get the 128 GB for safety and the plus side is it's resale value will be higher when I sell it to get Google's 2017 phone.

I wish there was a 64 GB model. I ran out of space on my 32 GB 6P a couple of times, so 64 GB would be a sweet spot.

Last edited:

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree, it's really a marketing ploy to get you to spend the extra money. I'm sitting on the fence about which one to buy, I have the 64gb N6 and it's perfect for me. I'll probably just end up getting the 128.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with how much you use your phone, but how much you like to hoard stuff. If you just NEED to have a collection of 4K movies on your phone, and your 100,000 mp3 files, 32GB will be an issue for you. I have no use for a phone with more than 32GB, and I use my phone a lot.

Hello! My name is PhiPsi32 . . . and I'm a data hoarder . . . . I frequently travel domestically and overseas. I frequently am without wireless data or WiFi or am roaming in a market where I pay a surcharge for a data connection. So, yes, I hoard photos and video and music and documents on the local storage of my phone . . . . When I'm on a 13hr transoceanic flight without WiFi I sometimes want to browse photos of my family . . . my dog . . . my wedding . . . try sitting in a closet with your phone and no data connection for 13hrs and then tell me 32GB is enough . . . yeah . . . that

Berwolf

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I think most can get by with 32GB, but people like the safety of 128GB. I actually wanted a128GB but the wife accidentally ordered a 32GB and I didn't want to use my note 7 until December while waiting on a 128GB version.

Here is a screen shot of where I sit today. When I travel might have to be do a little clean up, but that is good from time to time. This is with:

•4GB of Google play music
•A couple minutes of 4K video
•83 apps
•1 2.5 hour Amazon movie downloaded at best quality

cd70565797fbbafb171596d4030121b0.jpg

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your definition of 'heavy user.' I've had a 32GB Nexus 6 for 2 years now (which also records at 4k) and have managed just fine with plenty of music stored on device, usually 1 or 2 games installed (no need for a whole library) as well as a couple of movies. Sure, if you have 128GB, you can store a lot more, but then.... wouldn't you really need 256GB? 512GB? 1TB? There is a minimum point which can be functional for the large majority, and I think that 32GB hits that point after affording space for the OS,etc. While some users - primarily those looking to record large sections of 4k video in short spans - might actually need 128GB, beyond that it's a matter of whether it's worth it to the individual to pay the premium in order to make managing avaialble space a lesser concern.

That said, I'd have gotten the 128GB if it had been available, but with it being an extra month out, have gone with the 32GB and am not concerned for it.

As to Swappa, you'll nearly always see more of the lower storage units on sale than higher for the simple reason that more of them are sold in the first place. But as to any on there now, it's likely people trying to make a quick buck flipping theirs due to the extreme demand and unavailability in the first place.

I meant heavy users and in my opinion...of course that is subjective. You sound like a light user to me lol! I would get a 256 if they had it. The pixel is not cheap even at 32GB, I believe it is 100 more to jump to 128GB. 100 that is well spent in my view, but that is me. Glad you can make it on 32GB, I have not had a 32GB device in a long time. As far as SWAPPA, one said in their description that he bought a 32GB but needed 128 so I guess that takes the guesswork out of that...yours will be on SWAPPA soon...I predict!

Last edited:

mwbryant1977

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I could get by with 32MB especially with no memory card! I would definitely wait until it's in Stock! You'll be glad you did. Remember your gonna have this for awhile. What good is a great phone when you can't have all the goodies you want. As for cloud storage it doesn't help with apps. So that's a problem for me. Also your music... Who wants to, or can afford to stream all your music? Also keep in mind the operating system takes out of that 32GB as well.

mwbryant1977

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
It's so ridiculous they couldn't do a 64GB. I mean that would be the sweet spot for most users. Come on Google... I mean really. This is supposed to be Android done right!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It's so ridiculous they couldn't do a 64GB. I mean that would be the sweet spot for most users. Come on Google... I mean really. This is supposed to be Android done right!

They copied Apple. Same sizes and I think same prices. Although apple care+ was 130 vs 100 for the Pixel device protection.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I got the 32. My last two phones were only 16. It was tight, and I definitely had to manage my storage, but it was fine. So, i don't expect to have any issues with 32.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I meant heavy users and in my opinion...of course that is subjective. You sound like a light user to me lol! I would get a 256 if they had it. The pixel is not cheap even at 32GB, I believe it is 100 more to jump to 128GB. 100 that is well spent in my view, but that is me. Glad you can make it on 32GB, I have not had a 32GB device in a long time. As far as SWAPPA, one said in their description that he bought a 32GB but needed 128 so I guess that takes the guesswork out of that...yours will be on SWAPPA soon...I predict!

If they're putting it on Swappa this soon, it's too turn a profit from demand. Otherwise they'd just return it. I'd never be able to manage all my situations without the USB OTG, but those are rare enough that it's only a minor inconvenience. As I mentioned, the upgrade to 128 made financial sense, but balancing that versus the delay and the added value of the free Daydream VR tipped the scales strongly enough to make the 32 the right fit for me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463