Any moderate to heavy users think 32 GB will be enough with all the cloud storage options?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
With my frustrations with the 128 GB variant being sold out, the 32 GB variant seems tempting (not to mention cheaper). Do you think it will suffice?

What sort of things do you absolutely need physical storage for vs. cloud storage?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It really depends on your usage. For me, I keep everything in the cloud between google music, drive, photos. only storage I use are podcast and apps. I have a 64 gig 6p but only used 15 gig of storage, so I went with the 32 gig option. Just don't see the needs of 128 gig.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with how much you use your phone, but how much you like to hoard stuff. If you just NEED to have a collection of 4K movies on your phone, and your 100,000 mp3 files, 32GB will be an issue for you. I have no use for a phone with more than 32GB, and I use my phone a lot.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I don't use my phone for any video watching, but with google now making photo/video storage a total non issue, it will be even easier for me to get away with 32GB. About 100 apps, several hundred songs, lots of local photos (at the moment) and I have about 10GB left. Photo/video storage no longer matters, the phone will automatically delete the device copy when storage is filling up.

Apps are the only thing you really need locally, assuming your data plan can handle lots of streaming. Otherwise I would at least want music on the device itself (which I do anyway because there is still plenty of room left). Video/Audio is streamable, and photo/video/document storage is all cloud based.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your usage really... How much do you store locally and how pervasive do you have network access?

With unlimited full res storage of EVERYTHING the Pixel takes, you can purge your pictures on a regular basis. Unless you have a habit of storing a substantial amount of pictures, videos (you took or otherwise), you can get by with 32 unless you start to pump a bunch of those massive 1G+ games in there.

I have a 64G 6P, and I'm sitting at 45G free at the moment... only time I would get into the low 30's is if I was playing around with ROMs and forgot to clear a bunch of them.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
For me personally, 32 GB is no longer useful. I got the 128GB in iPhone 7+ and planning to get the Pixel 128GB when its back in stock.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
...not for me; that's why I'm waiting on my 128GB model. I think I have about 17 GB in music, and I have around 160+ apps... so it's not even close for me...

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
im stuck in places where internet can be an issue. i cant afford the down time trying to access work files so i have to get the 128gb.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
How much space do 4K videos take up?
This is an excellent question. Could someone test shootiing maybe a few 1 minute 4k videos (with some movement, not just static subject) and post the range of file sizes?

I would expect that most people by far will be fine with 32GB (though anyone could take advantage of more), but knowing roughly how much 4k footage you can take before you run out of storage would be very helpful, especially if you expect it's likely you'd want to take lengthy videos or a large amount of footage in general before being able to have it backed up to the cloud.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
32 just means that once in a while you'll have to upload and sync with the cloud. Then clear the old muthas out! That's how I'm going to do it.

I only have at one time maybe 5GB if music (change it up every so often). Obviously if you typically take long flights and such, and you are prepping your device for major offline movie watching and podcasts, maybe 32GB in that case would be cutting it close.

The full res pic and 4K vid storage, for free, is huge for me because the pics and vids are what take up all my space. Like the poster above said, if you are a hoarder, or you are a road warrior, then maybe 32GB should cause you to pause. For a typical user 32GB will be enough.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Obviously if you typically take long flights and such, and you are prepping your device for major offline movie watching and podcasts, maybe 32GB in that case would be cutting it close.

Just get a Meenova. I've had the MicroUSB version with my Nexus 6, works great. Just load a ton of movies, etc there and you're good to go, sits on your keyring with no issue - and now they have a USB-C version.

dash_c_case_keyring-580x400-q8.jpg

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I posted recently on this topic - it's a good question. It's totally based on personal use cases.

Last year I bought a Note 5 with 32GB and although all of my phones for years have been 32GB, I thought it would be insufficient. So I bought an OTG 64GB drive for all of videos and music I was dreaming about storing on my phone.

Same thing with my car. I have a 64GB micro flash in my dashboard for "all the music" I want to take with me.

My Note 7 has 64GB.

Fact is, I never once used that OTG drive on either of my Notes, my car's flash drive remains 75% empty, as is my Note 7. Turns out I really don't want to have to navigate through thousands/thousands of songs on my phone or in my car - what a PIA. And I tend to curate, I add stuff I want to listen to now, and I delete stuff I no longer want to listen to. On my phone, all photos are automatically pushed to Google Drive. Perfect.

With all that said, I bought the 32GB Pixel XL, AND a USB-C OTG adapter for my 128GB microSD. :) OCD I guess.
Nice to know that I can bring 30 movies and 10,000 songs on my next flight.

Anyone want to bet that I don't once use that 128GB storage with the Pixel?

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
With my frustrations with the 128 GB variant being sold out, the 32 GB variant seems tempting (not to mention cheaper). Do you think it will suffice?

What sort of things do you absolutely need physical storage for vs. cloud storage?

I'm pretty heavy and have over 12gb free. I just didn't wish moving the photos and videos to the cloud happened automatically.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Just like all other said, it all depend on your usage, if you mainly focusing on saving photos on your phone, 32GB would be sufficient for you.

However, be note that the unlimited Google Drive storage is only available for the photos. If you are heavy user who download tons of hardcore games and save a lot of videos and music in your phone. It's better for you to get the 128GB version of it.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
32gb for me is plenty, especially given the unlimited/uncompressed photo/video storage Google is giving us. One of the key factors for me being able to do this is I am not a big fan of gaming on my phone. I use it for photography / news / music / (and music is just via subscription service, I only store a few gig locally in case I'm caught w/o signal for a while) so I really don't need much storage at all.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
32 just means that once in a while you'll have to upload and sync with the cloud. Then clear the old muthas out! That's how I'm going to do it.

I only have at one time maybe 5GB if music (change it up every so often). Obviously if you typically take long flights and such, and you are prepping your device for major offline movie watching and podcasts, maybe 32GB in that case would be cutting it close.

I travel by train occasionally and pass through parts of CA without LTE.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Just get a Meenova. I've had the MicroUSB version with my Nexus 6, works great. Just load a ton of movies, etc there and you're good to go, sits on your keyring with no issue - and now they have a USB-C version.

View attachment 243140

Can photos and videos be moved from the Pixel to the Meenova in a pinch? The only time I would possibly have a ton of photos on my phone is if I was on vacation and had no access to wifi which is rare these days in hotels and resorts. It would be nice peace of mind to know I could move pics off the Pixel on to one of these in a pinch.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Can photos and videos be moved from the Pixel to the Meenova in a pinch? The only time I would possibly have a ton of photos on my phone is if I was on vacation and had no access to wifi which is rare these days in hotels and resorts. It would be nice peace of mind to know I could move pics off the Pixel on to one of these in a pinch.

Won't be able to give you a 100% answer till Tuesday when I get my Pixel, but I don't see why not (though it may require some 3rd party file manager,/explorer). Had no issues doing it on my Nexus 6.