A Good Car mount.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have one that is working well or bought one they are excited for. The hands free aspects of Google Assistant make a mount much more appealing.

nobread

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I have the spigen magnetic vent mount and I love it. Could never go back to any other type. So easy to just slap the phone up there

xkoolaidislifex

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
The iOttie Easy One Touch 3 is great. Just installed it today, and you can set it so that it doesn't hit the volume buttons. Highly recommend.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Pro Clip is the best car mount I have ever used. No questions asked. They are built specifically for your vehicle and phone. At the moment, they don't have the clip for the Pixels, but once available, it is by far worth every penny. I had it for my N6P and luckily the Pixel XL fits the N6P clip. Not as snug, so I won't be flipping it to portrait any time soon:). www.proclipusa.com

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Pro Clip is the best car mount I have ever used. No questions asked. They are built specifically for your vehicle and phone. At the moment, they don't have the clip for the Pixels, but once available, it is by far worth every penny. I had it for my N6P and luckily the Pixel XL fits the N6P clip. Not as snug, so I won't be flipping it to portrait any time soon:). Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts*-*ProClip USA

+1000 on ProClip, which I've been using since BlackBerry days. However, I won't have to get a new device holder when my Pixel XL arrives because when I got the Note 4 two years ago, I wanted to use it in the ProClip holder without removing the case (which is what I had to do every time with my previous Note 2). I opted for the universal ProClip holder for larger devices, which you can adjust with a small philips head screwdriver. I adjusted it so the Note 4 with case slid in and fit perfectly. I'll be doing the same when my Pixel XL comes.

EDIT: strike that. I see ProClip apparently stopped making the universal holders. Bad move. But the custom ones still work great if you don't mind taking off whatever case you're using every time you get into the car. And there is usually a custom mount offered for Otterbox casing.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
+1000 on ProClip, which I've been using since BlackBerry days. However, I won't have to get a new device holder when my Pixel XL arrives because when I got the Note 4 two years ago, I wanted to use it in the ProClip holder without removing the case (which is what I had to do every time with my previous Note 2). I opted for the universal ProClip holder for larger devices, which you can adjust with a small philips head screwdriver. I adjusted it so the Note 4 with case slid in and fit perfectly. I'll be doing the same when my Pixel XL comes.

EDIT: strike that. I see ProClip apparently stopped making the universal holders. Bad move. But the custom ones still work great if you don't mind taking off whatever case you're using every time you get into the car. And there is usually a custom mount offered for Otterbox casing.
When I bought my 6P mount, I remember it gave me an option for with case, or without case, so I think they still sell the adjustable one!

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Pro Clip is the best car mount I have ever used. No questions asked. They are built specifically for your vehicle and phone. At the moment, they don't have the clip for the Pixels, but once available, it is by far worth every penny. I had it for my N6P and luckily the Pixel XL fits the N6P clip. Not as snug, so I won't be flipping it to portrait any time soon:). Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts - ProClip USA

I like their custom fit solutions made for reach specific car, with a little DIY elbow grease you could even use their bottom mounts with any kind of universal holder... But I ripped mine out after a few months, it was better than a suction cup mount but it still wobbled and vibrated a lot.

Admittedly this may not be entirely their fault, the part they had for my 2007 Civic clips into a section of the dash which I thought would be really stable but in actual use it has just enough give and flexibility to make it shake city on anything but perfect roads. My car's interior isn't the highest quality, tho they could've tested the design a bit more too.

Eventually I made my own mount, keeping it really simple and holding the phone directly above the spot where it attaches to the dashboard seems to have greatly mitigated the shakes and it's held up really well for over a year, plus it's super discrete. Took this holder:

Smartphone and Small Tablet Tripod Mount | GripTight Mount

And simply added a 1/4" threaded mini ballhead with a stick-on base that I found randomly at the TigerDirect local store (RIP), I think the latter was meant to stick unto helmets and such for action cams and whatnot...

The little 1" base w/3M adhesive has never budged, the Joby holder is easy to unscrew with a couple turns if I wanna go even more discrete, and it's as easy or easier to slip the phone into a any universal mount I've seen (it's spring loaded but has no switch or any extra step).

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I like their custom fit solutions made for reach specific car, with a little DIY elbow grease you could even use their bottom mounts with any kind of universal holder... But I ripped mine out after a few months, it was better than a suction cup mount but it still wobbled and vibrated a lot.

Admittedly this may not be entirely their fault, the part they had for my 2007 Civic clips into a section of the dash which I thought would be really stable but in actual use it has just enough give and flexibility to make it shake city on anything but perfect roads. My car's interior isn't the highest quality, tho they could've tested the design a bit more too.

Eventually I made my own mount, keeping it really simple and holding the phone directly above the spot where it attaches to the dashboard seems to have greatly mitigated the shakes and it's held up really well for over a year, plus it's super discrete. Took this holder:

Smartphone and Small Tablet Tripod Mount | GripTight Mount

And simply added a 1/4" threaded mini ballhead with a stick-on base that I found randomly at the TigerDirect local store (RIP), I think the latter was meant to stick unto helmets and such for action cams and whatnot...

The little 1" base w/3M adhesive has never budged, the Joby holder is easy to unscrew with a couple turns if I wanna go even more discrete, and it's as easy or easier to slip the phone into a any universal mount I've seen (it's spring loaded but has no switch or any extra step).
Dang you went all out! Luckily I haven't had to do that as my proclip has zero vibration or wobble unless I'm on an extremely bad road.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The bottom portion of my aforementioned DIY solution was something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BPRLNQ2/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5551217

Tho the one I picked up has a smaller on dash footprint AND it sits lower overall thanks to a shorter stem/neck, the adjustment screw is basically right up against the base (harder to adjust but possibly more stable?) and the only other protrusion is the 1/4" screw.

For a smaller car where the dash is closer this works a treat. So much happier with it than any suction cup or custom solution I tried before. Never did try a CD player mount but I dunno whether that'd be more secure and I do use it sometimes still.

AC and magnetic vent holders seem to be all the rage now, AC heat wouldn't be an issue in Puerto Rico obvs but my car has pretty flimsy AC vents and tbh I need all the cool airflow I can get in the summer... The metal pad for magnetic vents seems like a really effective way of scratching a metal back and deforming a case but lots of people swear by them.

thebearden2

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the caseco core360 (magnetic mount) and love it. When I get my pixel I'll probably core a hole through the case so that the case and the little magnet that goes on the phone are flush.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
To this day, I only have 2 car mounts.

OEM Samsung Mount is by far the best made and nicest looking (plastic) mount out there. It has held up for years of on and off the windshield.

RAM Mount (X Mount) is crazy heavy duty and very versatile. I use this mount in my truck to hold my phone but also on my boat and waverunners. The bouncing around doesnt even move the phone. I also have the ball mounted on my bike so when I go for a ride I can just snap this same mount on there too. It is a great system but a little expensive to get started with. Once you have everything, you'll never need another mount.
Mobile Phone Holders & Mounts | RAM Mounts

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
spigen stealth fits it well, only holds it horizontal

I second this. It's extremely easy to install, you don't have to worry about an adjustable arm that will move around with bumps, and it holds the phone very well. I suppose it would be nice to have the portrait mode option but I don't think it's a big deal

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
So shame that ProClip decied not to do all of their custom fitted holders for the Pixel. I don't really want to remove my case everytime i go to my car.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar