Verizon store and marketing

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Verizon is pushing this phone hard! I was in a corporate store yesterday and before even walking in the door there was posters and flyers all over the front of the store.

Once inside, the Pixels (they had 6 total on display) were front and center on display. They were even positioned so they overtook the iPhones.

While there I heard one rep talking with a customer who asked about getting an iPhone 7. The rep actually suggested the Pixel and that is what the customer actually ended up getting..

I'm no VZW fan and am happily on Fi but i noticed that VZW is all over the Pixel! I was actually kind of impressed... I expected no signs and the Pixel to be buried in the back of the store with maybe one or two on display..

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is pushing this phone hard! I was in a corporate store yesterday and before even walking in the door there was posters and flyers all over the front of the store.

Once inside, the Pixels (they had 6 total on display) were front and center on display. They were even positioned so they overtook the iPhones.

While there I heard one rep talking with a customer who asked about getting an iPhone 7. The rep actually suggested the Pixel and that is what the customer actually ended up getting..

I'm no VZW fan and am happily on Fi but i noticed that VZW is all over the Pixel! I was actually kind of impressed... I expected no signs and the Pixel to be buried in the back of the store with maybe one or two on display..

With the amount of money that Verizon has paid Google for exclusivity, I would assume that would be the case. The iPhone 7 is not what everyone hoped it would be and the lack of a headphone jack is turning people away simply because there is no good solution for charging and using a wired headset.

You could also look back and see what Apple did with the iPhone when it was first introduced and AT&T was the exclusive provider. AT&T pushed it hard and the other carriers were counting the days to when they could sell it too. I'm sure AT&T paid Apple a lot of money back then too.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
This is why Verizon gets the exclusive, they will market for your product hard. Remember all the DROID commercials? I can see a lot of Pixel commercials coming..

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
thats good to know. I am not sure if they are doing this on normal stores but if they do this is huge.

I really hope google make a similar deal next year with ATT and T-Mobile

VitaminA

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Noticed the posters when I drove past my local Verizon store. Definitely looks like they're putting all they got behind this, which makes sense. It's good for everyone if this phone is successful, IMO.

Now, Verizon just needs to do some good Holiday marketing, along with a great deal, so I can buy one!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe this is why Google decided to do the Verizon thing. I almost want to bet Verizon said they would advertise it and also put it front-and-center if they made it exclusive to them. Definitely wasn't a bad idea.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I believe this is why Google decided to do the Verizon thing. I almost want to bet Verizon said they would advertise it and also put it front-and-center if they made it exclusive to them. Definitely wasn't a bad idea.

I think Verizon is the largest, or almost, carrier so Google gets the most exposure. I know all carriers have had their "OOOPS!" moments, I think Verizon is the cleanest of the dirty.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I am pretty certain the sales people in stores get paid a MUCH better commission on a Google phone over an iPhone. I was in my VZW store and was told they get a $200+ commission for selling an LG phone. I would imagine it is probably similar for the Pixel. With an iPhone they get paid a bare minimum commission. I would push a different phone as well if it meant a larger commission.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good guy Verizon.

This is what the Pixel needs.

Questions no one here will know the answer to: did the other carriers lass on the Pixel or did Verizon force Google's hand with a sweet deal or was Google's first and only choice Verizon?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Good guy Verizon.

Questions no one here will know the answer to: did the other carriers lass on the Pixel or did Verizon force Google's hand with a sweet deal or was Google's first and only choice Verizon?

Just my thoughts here, no facts to back me up, but given that Verizon is still the largest carrier, that puts them at the front of the pack if all else is equal. A 'smaller' carrier would've had to pony up more in the transaction.

No doubt Verizon had to commit to a fairly strong push both in commercial advertising as well as in-store positioning to get the exclusive, but it's also a safe bet that Google is providing them a certain degree of matching funds towards those advertisements.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just my thoughts here, no facts to back me up, but given that Verizon is still the largest carrier, that puts them at the front of the pack if all else is equal. A 'smaller' carrier would've had to pony up more in the transaction.

No doubt Verizon had to commit to a fairly strong push both in commercial advertising as well as in-store positioning to get the exclusive, but it's also a safe bet that Google is providing them a certain degree of matching funds towards those advertisements.

All hypothetical from me too but AT&T is just as large. I would like to think they wouldn't have passed up that opportunity. But I think Verizon and limited options for CDMA carriers played a role.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
All hypothetical from me too but AT&T is just as large. I would like to think they wouldn't have passed up that opportunity. But I think Verizon and limited options for CDMA carriers played a role.

Those two are still the behemoths - definitely close enough for AT&T to be a viable contender (and a little closer than I'd recalled). But Verizon's roughly 8% (9M subscriber) lead is still significant enough that AT&T would have to be a bit more aggressive or creative.

Capture2.PNG
(source)​

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Good guy Verizon.

I would almost bet Verizon said they would sell it / advertise it like this for them (stores, online, etc.) if they made it exclusive to them. For Google it would make sense to do this with the largest carrier -- especially on a new phone.

Just my $0.02

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I would almost bet Verizon said they would sell it / advertise it like this for them (stores, online, etc.) if they made it exclusive to them. For Google it would make sense to do this with the largest carrier -- especially on a new phone.

Just my $0.02

I guess I don't see why AT&T couldn't have had the same level of advertising like they all do for the iPhone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I don't see why AT&T couldn't have had the same level of advertising like they all do for the iPhone.

They could have but maybe they wanted more and Verizon wanted less? Those types of things we just have to grasp at the air and guess. Verizon could have been easier to work with -- or even willing to. For all we know AT&T could have said "Oh no AT&T DirecTV bloat? No thanks".