For those of you that came from a Note 7....

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I have a few questions if anyone has the time. I am very hesitant to give up my Note and its pen as I love the freaking thing.

1. I see everyone says the Pixel XL is faster. As in opening apps? Just the camera? Surfing the net? or all of the above?

2. Is signal strength (on Verizon specifically) as good as your Note 7? Any dropped calls?

3. Battery seem as good as the Note 7? Note 7 is MUCH improved over my note 5.

4. Is the google assistant any better than the one one the note 7? I find the note 7 does all the things already that google is promoting on the pixel.

Thanks in advance all!

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a few questions if anyone has the time. I am very hesitant to give up my Note and its pen as I love the freaking thing.

1. I see everyone says the Pixel XL is faster. As in opening apps? Just the camera? Surfing the net? or all of the above?

2. Is signal strength (on Verizon specifically) as good as your Note 7? Any dropped calls?

Is the google assistant any better than the one one the note 7? I find the note 7 does all the things already that google is promoting on the pixel.

Thanks in advance all!

1. The Pixel is very fast. Camera, opening apps, but surfing the web is about the same. It all depends on the websites you go to and how optimized they are for mobile devices
2. Not sure here, I'm on T-Mobile, but my experience thus far is just as good
3. The battery life is just as good, but I think the Pixel is better at standby. I used the Pixel a lot yesterday and when I went to sleep, I still had 46% left

Hope this helps!

bsweetness

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

4. Is the google assistant any better than the one one the note 7? I find the note 7 does all the things already that google is promoting on the pixel.

Thanks in advance all!

1. The Pixel XL is faster all around. The only places where I've noticed it being a little slower than the Note 7 are when double tapping the power button to launch the camera (the Note 7 is slightly faster) and focusing is a hair quicker on the Note 7 (just hair - the Pixel holds it's own very well here).

2. Cellular reception is just as good as my Note 7 on Verizon. No dropped calls so far.

3. Battery life has been better for me so far on the Pixel XL. Averaging over 6 hours of screen on time through 2 days as opposed to 4-5 hours on the Note 7.

4. The Google Assistant is better than S Voice and Google Now on the Note 7. In day-to-day use, it's not significantly better at this point, but you can see where it's headed.

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
1. The Pixel XL is faster all around. The only places where I've noticed it being a little slower than the Note 7 are when double tapping the power button to launch the camera (the Note 7 is slightly faster) and focusing is a hair quicker on the Note 7 (just hair - the Pixel holds it's own very well here).

2. Cellular reception is just as good as my Note 7 on Verizon. No dropped calls so far.

3. Battery life has been better for me so far on the Pixel XL. Averaging over 6 hours of screen on time through 2 days as opposed to 4-5 hours on the Note 7.

4. The Google Assistant is better than S Voice and Google Now on the Note 7. In day-to-day use, it's not significantly better at this point, but you can see where it's headed.

Thanks Sir! So I take it you guys don't miss the N7???

Amb312

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
It isn't any faster than my Note 7. My cell reception seems okay. Battery life seems the same. I really miss my spen. Google assistant works pretty well. I'm still playing with it.

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
It isn't any faster than my Note 7. My cell reception seems okay. Battery life seems the same. I really miss my spen. Google assistant works pretty well. I'm still playing with it.
That is my major hang up. I use my spen all the time when on the phone for business calls for precise and fast navigation.

bsweetness

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Didn't say that. :)

The three things I miss the most from the Note 7 at this point are wireless charging, the S Pen, and the in-hand feel of the device. Before too long, I'm sure I'll miss the expandable storage and the water resistance. All of that said, I'm really liking the Pixel. My initial impressions of a phone haven't been this good in years. It's not perfect, but there's a level of polish here that you don't often see on Android devices.

Vandito

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
The screen seems a lot smaller than the n7, especially when using google maps a black border appears on the bottom making the screen look even smaller. The screen quality is nice thought, very bright too. Also when playing clash of clans, my hand blocks the speaker since it is located on bottom left, while the n7 was bottom right. I have to flip the phone so I can hear the speaker although that makes the sound more faint since your hand cant redirect the sound to you.

Pixel xl does seem smoother in some games, altought n7 was fast at first too. Overall pixel seems smoother than n7 in web browsing and apps.
Design wise the n7 blows the pixel away. Beautiful edge screen and Coral blue replaced with huge chin bezel and bland iphone copycat design. The bezel appears even more humongous when the black border appears on the bottom of the pixel xl.

Sound quality the N7 is superior, louder and more clear. The pixel seems a bit muffled at times.

Battery life seems similar, Pixel xl better at standby for now.

Signal quality seems similar, 4g and call quality smililar.

Wifi seems buggy, sometimes the pixel will show a connecting icon while in clash of clans and other games.

Google assistant not that impressed, half the time it will just show you a random google link.

No waterproofing, didn't really use the spen so don't miss that but miss the N7 would go back to it if it wasn't recalled. Superior screen, sound, build quality, frame design. The pixel xl has smoother android experience but lacking in many other areas.

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Note 7 = Bentley... Pixel = Ferrari? One full of features and looks nice and the other just damn good at what it does.

(I'm sure someone can come up with a better comparison.. Haha)

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Note 7 = Bentley... Pixel = Ferrari? One full of features and looks nice and the other just damn good at what it does.

I would consider the pixel a Honda Civic. It works and is fluid but doesn't bring anything special that some other model will have or eventually get.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I think I like yours just fine! Thank you... my Note 7 is gone, I'm using my Note 5 and my Pixel XL 128 GB should be here 11/23 - 11/25!

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I would consider the pixel a Honda Civic. It works and is fluid but doesn't bring anything special that some other model will have or eventually get.
Being a Honda/Acura fan, I can get with that analogy. Maybe an Acura MDX vs Cadillac? (Pixel being the Acura)?

K... I'm done with the poor analogies. Haha
I think I like yours just fine! Thank you... my Note 7 is gone, I'm using my Note 5 and my Pixel XL 128 GB should be here 11/23 - 11/25!
Yeah - I've had Galaxy s3, Note 3, Note 4, Note 5, Note 7, and honestly there's very little I'm missing.

Scroll capture, wireless charging... Umm... That's about it? I'm very impressed with how smooth the Pixel is. Maybe that Honda Civic was a good example. Haha - just smooooth.... Really makes me not miss all my Sammy's either way. :)

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I will preface this by saying I loved my Note, if it was not recalled, I would still own it. I thought it was fast, smooth, and had incredible features. The key is, you have to give up your N7 at this point. No reasonable person would keep theirs.

For this question, I'd say all of the above. While my Note 7 did not lag, I do notice in a few apps (Tapatalk in particluar) that scrolling is smoother. On the N7, I feel like the entire page needed to get loaded or something. Scrolling would jank initially, then be smooth. I get a little jank on the Pixel sometimes in Tapa, but not to the level of the N7. I also think there is just an overall smoothness that feels faster on the Pixel, and moving from app to app, camera included has not hung yet for me on the Pixel, but there would be occasions that I would see it on the N7.

I did not measure, but I am getting better signal strength in a few areas my N7 struggled. Overall, I'd rate it the same.

In my brief experience, battery is equal, except standby, which the Pixel wins hands down. Last night my Pixel was not used for over 9 hours, and it lost 4% on the battery, that is awesome.

Thanks in advance all!

Google Assistant is better, but marginally right now. It wakes up faster, seems a little faster to respond and feels more integrated. I expect it to continue to evolve and improve.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I would not even hesitate in getting rid of the note 7 ASAP, if not for the pixel for another phone. Why would you continue to keep using it? You can't bring it on planes anymore, it will never be upgraded, and I'm sure the opportunity to get a full refund will not last forever. Its basically a worthless brick if you decide to keep it. If you need the stylus that bad, then use the note 5.

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I will preface this by saying I loved my Note, if it was not recalled, I would still own it. I thought it was fast, smooth, and had incredible features. The key is, you have to give up your N7 at this point. No reasonable person would keep theirs.

For this question, I'd say all of the above. While my Note 7 did not lag, I do notice in a few apps (Tapatalk in particluar) that scrolling is smoother. On the N7, I feel like the entire page needed to get loaded or something. Scrolling would jank initially, then be smooth. I get a little jank on the Pixel sometimes in Tapa, but not to the level of the N7. I also think there is just an overall smoothness that feels faster on the Pixel, and moving from app to app, camera included has not hung yet for me on the Pixel, but there would be occasions that I would see it on the N7.

I did not measure, but I am getting better signal strength in a few areas my N7 struggled. Overall, I'd rate it the same.

In my brief experience, battery is equal, except standby, which the Pixel wins hands down. Last night my Pixel was not used for over 9 hours, and it lost 4% on the battery, that is awesome.

Google Assistant is better, but marginally right now. It wakes up faster, seems a little faster to respond and feels more integrated. I expect it to continue to evolve and improve.

Thank you for the good detailed response!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I miss some N7 features, and appreciate some of the Pixel features.

N7 features I miss:
  • AOD -- I loved having my Gator head visible all the time, as well as the time. N7 was my nightstand clock.
  • Samsung Pay -- While it was not enough to keep me on Samsung, I loved having it on my N7
  • S-pen -- my kids loved drawing with it, and taking quick notes was handy
  • Browser -- Biometrics and ad blocker were awesome
  • Wireless charging -- my bedside cradle is so lonely

Pixel features that I am glad to have
  • Fingerprint wakes the phone / slides down notifications
  • Wallpapers is very cool
  • I give the camera nod to the Pixel
  • I give the speed nod to the Pixel
  • I prefer the Pixel launcher -- this is the way the app drawer should work everywhere
  • I prefer AOD, but lock screen notifications are better on Pixel. The lack of information with the icons is very limiting on AOD. Samsung needs to get closer to the Motorola method.

With all that said. The N7 is not a current choice. I would be conflicted after using both as to which I would use as a daily driver. Given the current landscape, I think the Pixel XL is easily the best choice for me.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I miss some N7 features, and appreciate some of the Pixel features.

N7 features I miss:
  • AOD -- I loved having my Gator head visible all the time, as well as the time. N7 was my nightstand clock.
  • Samsung Pay -- While it was not enough to keep me on Samsung, I loved having it on my N7
  • S-pen -- my kids loved drawing with it, and taking quick notes was handy
  • Browser -- Biometrics and ad blocker were awesome
  • Wireless charging -- my bedside cradle is so lonely

Pixel features that I am glad to have
  • Fingerprint wakes the phone / slides down notifications
  • Wallpapers is very cool
  • I give the camera nod to the Pixel
  • I give the speed nod to the Pixel
  • I prefer the Pixel launcher -- this is the way the app drawer should work everywhere
  • I prefer AOD, but lock screen notifications are better on Pixel. The lack of information with the icons is very limiting on AOD. Samsung needs to get closer to the Motorola method.

With all that said. The N7 is not a current choice. I would be conflicted after using both as to which I would use as a daily driver. Given the current landscape, I think the Pixel XL is easily the best choice for me.
Those are what you call features for the pixel.. Smh

droidiac13

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If I had the choice, I'd go right back to the Note 7 for all the reasons already noted. I miss the s-pen a lot and it is beyond me why the on screen buttons don't disappear. I've never been a fan of them as they eat up screen.