bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Some carriers remove them from the package - then sell them separately. Every penny counts.
This for both from Google store and Verizon. Verizon removing would be no surprise since they don't care about customers but Google should have included one for Google store orders.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have better earbuds and headphones than anything they could have included, so I would have been annoyed to think I had paid for them. Glad they didn't include any.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I read that it didn't come with ear buds... I thought it was weird but then I realized the only reason I wanted it was so I could use them with my laptop...

I use Bluetooth headsets

Wilbur Lin

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Just asked Google Support about it because I thought mine was missing. Turns out that the Australian version has them included but US version does not. And that support agent seemed a bit confused before realizing there's a regional difference himself. Wonder why.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Just asked Google Support about it because I thought mine was missing. Turns out that the Australian version has them included but US version does not. And that support agent seemed a bit confused before realizing there's a regional difference himself. Wonder why.

All phones sold in Australia must come with a headset (speakers and mic) for hands-free use while driving is what I was told by the fine folks at Ausdroid.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah all Australian models come with earphones. Surprised that they don't in the US. For the price you're paying, they should all come with earphones.

All phones sold in Australia must come with a headset (speakers and mic) for hands-free use while driving is what I was told by the fine folks at Ausdroid.

The Nexus 6P and 5X last year didn't come with earphones in Australia.

Even ones sold through telcos didn't come with earphones (only one telco provided Huawei earphones, but the others didn't).

So unless Google/Huawei and Australian telcos Telstra, Optus and Vodafone deliberately broke the law, I think Ausdroid might be mistaken.

Last edited:

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah all Australian models come with earphones. Surprised that they don't in the US. For the price you're paying, they should all come with earphones.
To be fair, as with most imported items we are royally jammed on price in Australia. Pixel XL 128GB for example is AUS$1,419 which at today's exchange rate of 0.76 equates to about US$1,080. As an Aussie, I'd rather do without the no doubt indifferent quality standard Pixel headphones and pay the US price, thanks. Could buy a nice set of Bose 'phones for the difference.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, as with most imported items we are royally jammed on price in Australia. Pixel XL 128GB for example is AUS$1,419 which at today's exchange rate of 0.76 equates to about US$1,080. As an Aussie, I'd rather do without the no doubt indifferent quality standard Pixel headphones and pay the US price, thanks. Could buy a nice set of Bose 'phones for the difference.

Hah yeh we get royally screwed with pricing of goods, even after the conversion rate.

I agree, I'd much rather pay the $650 or $700 or whatever US Price and not have earphones.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Not sure, Billy Bob, I do wonder what phones like the higher end LG ship with. Some of their models have hi fi DAC circuitry from the likes of B & O and now I think Quad. Not much point playing something that capable through el cheapo earphones... so what is supplied with the phone by LG? Indeed, the chip in the Pixel phones supposedly allows high quality audio playback, too, from what I've read. I might try to
plug my XL (when it ever arrives) into my Stax electrostatics and see how it sounds. Many of my CDs I've been lately ripping with FLAC as memory capacities grow.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Was there ever a case where a phone comes with high-end earbuds?

Maybe not high end, but the HTC one m7 and m8 I bought, and I'm sure a few other HTC phones at the time, came with really good sounding in ear headphones. Which I used for a couple years over a decent set of Klipsch buds that I had.

Seems like getting headphones is fading away now, especially in the US.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This kinda sucks especially when they area following Apple pricing... Since Apple includes one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781