i just can't get over the bezel on the xl

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
there's the blank space on the bottom bezel below the screen, then you have the on screen buttons. in reality the usable screen space is a lot less than say the note 7. i compared google maps screen size to my note 7 and the size was way smaller.
i dont know what phone to go to, since i have to get rid of the note 7 and i love this phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Note 7 has 7.4% more screen area. Because it's a 5.7" phone vs a 5.5" phone and .2" on a 16:9 screen equals .96 in[SUP]2[/SUP] more screen area. Have you considered the HTC 10 or LG V20?

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the Note 7 has 7.4% more screen area. Because it's a 5.7" phone vs a 5.5" phone and .2" on a 16:9 screen equals .96 in[SUP]2[/SUP] more screen area. Have you considered the HTC 10 or LG V20?

at two different stores looking to see a lg v20, and i was told to avoid the lg v20. something about boot loops, and quailty not being up to par.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
at two different stores looking to see a lg v20, and i was told to avoid the lg v20. something about boot loops, and quailty not being up to par.

Oh, I hadn't heard of any issues with the V20. The G5 yes, V20 I've heard rave reviews about so far but not a lot of people have them so you probably know way more than me on that one.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I hadn't heard of any issues with the V20. The G5 yes, V20 I've heard rave reviews about so far but not a lot of people have them so you probably know way more than me on that one.

yeah i was hoping to see one in person. told they had them in back but no display models....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I mind the bezels MUCH less on the XL than on the regular Pixel. Pixel XL is really nice to have that there actually. The S7 Edge might be another good choice.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually like the bezel on the Pixel. I don't quite understand the obsession with having the screen going from edge to edge. That was one of my main complaints with the S7 Edge. I was constantly doing things I didn't want to do. The Note 7 was better, but I still like to have a little bezel at least. I like having that chin on the Pixel when watching video or just to pick the phone up without touching the screen. It would be nice to have a speaker in that space though. I have seen a few people make that comment and I would agree.

Choices are good though. If you can't get past the bezel, choose another phone. Plenty good phones to choose from.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
i had the s7 edge before and it was ok. even though the specs are the same besides screen, the note 7 just feels way better.
i had skipped over the note 5. would i be dissapointed in getting that? i just want a big screen.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The bezel at the top is about the same size, and the bezel at the bottom is nearly twice as large, as it was on the Nexus 6. Why, Google.... Why....?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
there's the blank space on the bottom bezel below the screen, then you have the on screen buttons. in reality the usable screen space is a lot less than say the note 7. i compared google maps screen size to my note 7 and the size was way smaller.
i dont know what phone to go to, since i have to get rid of the note 7 and i love this phone.

Yes, there is a lot of unusable space on the bottom of the Pixel XL I put my droid Turbo with a 5.2 inch screen next to the XL and it has more usable screen space than the 5.5 XL. Somehow Moto was able to put the home and other two capacitive buttons in the bezel, which I love about the Turbo. The Turbo is still an excellent device with one huge exception, that being horrible security and OS updates as it is still running Lollipop.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there is a lot of unusable space on the bottom of the Pixel XL I put my droid Turbo with a 5.2 inch screen next to the XL and it has more usable screen space than the 5.5 XL. Somehow Moto was able to put the home and other two capacitive buttons in the bezel, which I love about the Turbo. The Turbo is still an excellent device with one huge exception, that being horrible security and OS updates as it is still running Lollipop.

The Pixel XL has 11.9% more display area than the Droid Turbo. The Pixel XL display is .26" longer and .15" wider.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm crazy, but I don't care what the phone looks like. I only care how it performs.

That's not a shot at anyone who cares about the look of their phone; I was just stating my preference.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The Pixel XL has 11.9% more display area than the Droid Turbo. The Pixel XL display is .26" longer and .15" wider.

I understand that. However, the Turbo doesn't take any screen space with the capacitive buttons being in the bezel. I held them side by side and the Turbo viewable screen was taller than the Pixel when viewing the home screen. And yes, when watching a video, the Pixel buttons disappear and it had a bigger (taller) screen than the Turbo.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm crazy, but I don't care what the phone looks like. I only care how it performs.

That's not a shot at anyone who cares about the look of their phone; I was just stating my preference.
I'm with you ^
People seem to buy phones for status fashion statements sometimes even more than functionality Lol.

As for bezels, I like to have a place to hold it and not touch the screen.

midnitefox

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not a popular opinion, but I happen to enjoy the top and bottom bezels very much. Switched from 9 years of iPhone to the Note 7, then the S7, then the Note 7 and now the Pixel XL. I like that I can take the phone out of my pocket by the bezels, and holding the phone by it's bezels while watching a video or playing a game.

I also like the extra driveway space it has afforded me. I just park my car on the bottom bezel, roommate parks on the top one. And now our driveway as soo much room for activities!

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

The first few Galaxy phone put the capacitive buttons on the bezel as well. I wish google did that with the pixel/xl

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay