Issue with odd Halo or flaring with photos

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't have the Pixel but I am a photographer so I know all about lens flare. Looking at the many examples in this and other threads, I would say this is worse than normal lens flare.
It's going to be a right PITA to come up with an algorithm to eliminate this as no two photos will be the same.

The purple Halo's seen in the examples is internal reflection from optical surfaces. Most lenses are designed to minimise this.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
IKR, how can he be so sure? Maybe he's written complex algorithms for camera software before and has all the answers. Or, maybe he's used a super computer to compute the millions of scenarios that could cause the different flaring artifacts that we are seeing, or maybe he's just a know it all genius. But, I can tell you this much, I have more faith in Google being able to figure it out.
A perfect software patch to a hardware fault is always going to be dubious business.

And they only said they will fix it with HDR+, so they have already said you won't be getting a perfect fix.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
A serious camera issue like this for a phone this expensive, is not good. I also don;t trust google after the nexus 6 video camera fiasco.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The 6p had a glass panel with no lens hump. The hump was the whole strip but the lens was still under that glass. I wonder if it's the size of the glass panel or just the lens position on the pixel.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if a "CAMERA HUMP" helps prevent this sort of thing.

I was thinking the same thing. With the "camera hump" the lens is recessed a little and the hump acts as sort of like a hood. With the Pixel, the lens is flush with the back which could draw unwanted light.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

That is troublesome. I ordered a Pixel XL and for 1000, it should not happen on routine shots. I realize this can happen with any lens, but this looks like it is too easily reproduced in the Pixel XL. I have two other devices that this is not an issue on. Will most likely cancel my order and wait for next year. Still thinking on it.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That is troublesome. I ordered a Pixel XL and for 1000, it should not happen on routine shots. I realize this can happen with any lens, but this looks like it is too easily reproduced in the Pixel XL. I have two other devices that this is not an issue on. Will most likely cancel my order and wait for next year. Still thinking on it.
Keep in mind those examples are an extreme. That person is shooting at the sun. I'd also suspect they are shooting in a way to maximize the halos. You can see the halos right in the viewfinder so if you are one to compose your shots it is possible to reframe and minimize or reduce the halos.

I agree this camera is more susceptible to halos than most other smartphone camera but in using it for the past 9 days found it doesn't have to impair it's use.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Even though I realize and have seen this issue in "real cameras" it does seem to be consistent on the Pixel... Also, so many people posting their issues don't seem to have wiped their camera lens off and it drives me batty. Not necessarily related, but people complaining can't even take the time to wipe off their camera glass before snapping a picture of an effect that is bothering them? *eye roll

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

This is one of the reasons why I'm still on the fence. I have numerous phones that don't do this regardless of weather or not I'm pointing it at the sun or towards the sun. Some people have posted this happening indoors as well. I hope it could be fixed cause I am really considering the XL.

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Not only do I get the halo effect but the coil shape of the light bulb I pointed the picture at is reproduced as well in the photo lmao Wtf Best smart phone camera huh?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the reasons why I'm still on the fence. I have numerous phones that don't do this regardless of weather or not I'm pointing it at the sun or towards the sun. Some people have posted this happening indoors as well. I hope it could be fixed cause I am really considering the XL.

Yes, I have seen it on several indoor shots as well. My Pixel XL is not due to ship until around Thanksgiving. I'll keep up with the latest on this issue including the fix they have promised. I have an iPhone 7+ and S7 Active to use in the meantime. They have superb cameras.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
This issue is what's stopping me from ordering this phone. No excuse for it for the amount of money they charge for it. And no, other phones don't have these same issues. Curious to see how this ends up.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This issue is what's stopping me from ordering this phone. No excuse for it for the amount of money they charge for it. And no, other phones don't have these same issues. Curious to see how this ends up.

I'm not very optimistic. The fix will only be with hdr shots. Besides, software fixes for a hardware issue, that's going to be tough.