not allowed bring Pixel XL at Trump rallies because "video quality too high"(GoPro also not allowed)

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
not allowed bring Pixel XL at Trump rallies because "video quality too high"(GoPro also not allowed)

(please do not turn this into a political discussion. I *only* want to discuss the
Pixel phone's camera... Mods, please delete all subsequent replies that contain
political discussions)

I don't know if this is an endorsement or insult of my spanking new Pixel phone.

However, attendees at Trump rallies are not allowed to being any video/still
cameras that are deemed to be "professional" quality. (this is clearly printed
on the all tickets for attendees)
The printed rule also bans GoPro cameras
because they probably think that the video quality is too high?

I was shocked that Pixel phone was not allowed and I had to go back to the car
and leave it in the glovebox. Fortunately, this rally was at a general avaiation-only
airport, so my car was parked in the airport parking lot.

The only reason that I was given was that the Pixel's camera "video quality was
too high"
(direct quote which I have on video) Like I said, I had not idea to
feel flattered or insulted. :( I went with my neighbor and they allowed her to bring
her Galaxy S7 into the rally. (!!!!!) :(

And what's the deal with them not allowing "professional" grade cameras? I heard
the other camp also has the same rule at their rallies.... are they afraid of people
selling videos/photos of the candidates for profit or something? :(

(attached picture below shows the Trump rally ticket with camera rules... no mention of Pixel, however)

Attachments

• Trump_Rally_No_Camera.jpg
    Trump_Rally_No_Camera.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 124

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: not allowed bring Pixel XL at Trump rallies because "video quality too high"(GoPro also not allo

(please do not turn this into a political discussion. I *only* want to discuss the
political discussions)

I don't know if this is an endorsement or insult of my spanking new Pixel phone.

and leave it in the glovebox. Fortunately, this rally was at a general avaiation-only

too high"
feel flattered or insulted. :( I went with my neighbor and they allowed her to bring

And what's the deal with them not allowing "professional" grade cameras? I heard
the other camp also has the same rule at their rallies.... are they afraid of people

(attached picture below shows the Trump rally ticket with camera rules... no mention of Pixel, however)

Wow, so what if the quality is great? I dont understand.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: not allowed bring Pixel XL at Trump rallies because "video quality too high"(GoPro also not allo

Wow, so what if the quality is great? I dont understand.

for what it's worth, they also turned away a guy with a Sony A6000 mirrorless camera. (which does have interchangeable lenses, but hardly a "professional" camera)

lcousins

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Sounds like a compliment to me and a good testimony of the quality of the camera

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

It says "professional cameras with detachable lenses" are not allowed. I would have asked to speak to adult supervision..........:D

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I think it's just Trump rallies that don't allow professional cameras.

But the pixel wouldn't qualify as one, you should've told them it is just a phone and there's no reason they shouldn't let you.

I wouldn't see it as an endorsement or an insult, you were just the victim of ignorance. I'll refrain from making a political statement here though :)

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

its a compliment, an annoying one but regardless a compliment

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

This isn't a political comment, but the people who turned you away are ridiculous. I love the camera quality of the Pixel, but as a person who owns a D800 and a D90, I can assure you that there is something entirely different about using a DSLR and a smartphone. For what it's worth, I wouldn't call the D90 a professional camera either, except that it has interchangeable lenses.

I'm sorry that you couldn't bring in the phone. I think that the policy should be explained better. Your video might have had excellent quality, but unless you were in the front row, the camera wouldn't have been easy to see details of any speakers.

I wonder if the camera policy has anything to do with accusations made against his former campaign manager. High quality cameras might have made the incident clearer and easier to prosecute. On the other hand, this policy might simply be a way of controlling the video narrative from the rally (sad practice but hardly unusual).

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

I would almost think all cameras/phones/etc would be banned unless and old school flip. *shurg* Who knows.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Why? Unless something shady is happening. Guess he's sick of his own words biting him in the ***.

It was more in reference to the Pixel being intentionally referenced versus say my HTC 10. Both could probably do decent job of capturing whatever is going on. I wasn't addressing the political part.

mop26921

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

So, would you say Google is making smartphone cameras great again?!

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

political discussions)

too high"

Can you post the video?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

for what it's worth, they also turned away a guy with a Sony A6000 mirrorless camera. (which does have interchangeable lenses, but hardly a "professional" camera)
Changeable lenses tends to be the definition of a professional camera in these cases. Never heard of a point and shoot or camera phone getting lumped in like described here.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

This isn't a political comment, but the people who turned you away are ridiculous. I love the camera quality of the Pixel, but as a person who owns a D800 and a D90, I can assure you that there is something entirely different about using a DSLR and a smartphone. For what it's worth, I wouldn't call the D90 a professional camera either, except that it has interchangeable lenses.

I'm sorry that you couldn't bring in the phone. I think that the policy should be explained better. Your video might have had excellent quality, but unless you were in the front row, the camera wouldn't have been easy to see details of any speakers.

I wonder if the camera policy has anything to do with accusations made against his former campaign manager. High quality cameras might have made the incident clearer and easier to prosecute. On the other hand, this policy might simply be a way of controlling the video narrative from the rally (sad practice but hardly unusual).
My experience has been that they limit 'pro' cameras because of the high quality possible from a distance. Generally, point and shoot and phones don't give good zoom quality especially compared to a 70-200, or even an 18-300.

My experience is mostly concerts and shows, not political rallies. I would think they'd want all the pics out.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

My experience has been that they limit 'pro' cameras because of the high quality possible from a distance. Generally, point and shoot and phones don't give good zoom quality especially compared to a 70-200, or even an 18-300.

My experience is mostly concerts and shows, not political rallies. I would think they'd want all the pics out.

This. I suspect it's because they want to be able to have some level of control over the footage taken at the event.

Seems a bit ridiculous to not admit phones since they are far from professional quality.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

This. I suspect it's because they want to be able to have some level of control over the footage taken at the event.

Seems a bit ridiculous to not admit phones since they are far from professional quality.

Remember, we're talking about a political rally here - ridiculous is what they specialize in.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

someone clearly gave it some thought and put the restrictions on the Trump rally tickets. (like I attached in post #1)

still not sure why they included GoPro in that list... some flagship phones can take 4k videos that are just as good as most GoPro cameras. :)