rattle in my xl

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
something in the top of the phone. not related to vibration. if i hold the phone and shake it, i can hear it.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It definitely did not do this at first. How do you know that's what it is?
Google "autofocus rattle"

If that's what it is you'd prob hear it when you shake the phone front to back but not side to side.

Mine does it too. The cameras in many phones do it.

Grand Piano

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have it as well. I even noticed it when sitting it on my desk sometimes. And if you do the motion to take a selfie you can hear it as well.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah its the camera. Turn the camera on, shake the phone and the rattle goes away. My Note 4 used to do this.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not saying it's a fatal flaw, but a phone like this should not rattle. Other then the vibration. It's sounds and feels like a future issue.

Grand Piano

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Sure enough that worked. How could Google or anyone else knowingly make a phone with this issue?

Yup. I concur. Rear camera stops it. Front facing doesn't. Os a bit odd though. I used the support feature on my phone to chat with Google about this the other day and was inform to do a factory reset. Tried to get an explanation as to why a software reset would cure a hardware issue.

Anyhow I told them thanks but no thanks. Glad I ran across this thread but not so happy about the rattle. Oh well other than that I guess I'll have to live with it. Lose battles but win the war!

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The rattling is definitely the power button. Did this with mine as well.

Mine is definitely not the power butto. Just tested. Mine does it even with my finger on the button. Like it was mentioned before. Rear camera. Or some aspect there of. If I turn the camera on I can't get it to do it.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine is definitely not the power butto. Just tested. Mine does it even with my finger on the button. Like it was mentioned before. Rear camera. Or some aspect there of. If I turn the camera on I can't get it to do it.

Oh that's weird, that sucks. I would probably connect with Google re that. Mine doesn't do that or make any noises. Which honestly I expected it to.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I just watched Jerry rigged YouTube video. It looks like its the camera module itself. It's got the cable connection but nothing else holding it in. It's free floating otherwise. I wonder if at rest the lease retracts slickly, allowing for jiggling or slight movement.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine rattles if I tap on the back of the phone next to the camera module. My volume rocker is also very loose and rattles as well. A little disappointing.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My rattle is so faint I have to put it up to my ear to hear it, or it has to be very quiet in the room. This is definitely a non-issue for me.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I am not saying it's a fatal flaw, but a phone like this should not rattle. Other then the vibration. It's sounds and feels like a future issue.
I can't remember having a phone in the past several years where there wasn't a rattle from the camera. And I have had plenty over the years

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember having a phone in the past several years where there wasn't a rattle from the camera. And I have had plenty over the years

I have never. Including the other 4 phones I have had in the last 2 months. its the kind of thing i would remember. if my car has a rattle, I fix it. I have owner 2 n7's, s7e, g4, s5, s3, samsung nexus, palm pre, blackberry , and more. Of course the pixel xl, is the only one to make a peep.