Back Glass - is it actually Gorilla Glass 4?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Google explicitly states that the both the front screen and the back glass 'shade' are Gorilla Glass 4.

Capture.JPG
(source)​

Several people have posted that the back glass has picked up scratches quite easily. JerryRigEverything's test video states (at about 1:44) that a razor blade left fine scratches on the back glass, but did nothing whatsoever to the front.

Here's a Reddit thread with a number of users complaining of it easily picking up scratches as well. If it isn't actually Gorilla Glass 4, this is, at least in my opinion, a huge concern.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Nobody else concerned with this? The resistance of Gorilla Glass 4 to scratches was one of the things that made me 'ok' with a glass panel on the back. If in fact Google ended up using a lesser material after promoting it with GG4, and failed to advise of that change, it would appear that that could be grounds for seeking recourse against them in the event of the glass suffering issues.

Hoping it is really GG4 and something else is to blame, though I can't think of what it could be. A difference in thickness between the front and read glass panels shouldn't affect hardness/scratch resistance.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Been using it for a week very carefully but has picked up plenty of minute scratches. I think most of it by lying it down on the table. It can be visible when held under direct light source.

Brent Naseath

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Jeremy8000. It is a big problem. I got my new Google Pixel last week. Naturally, the first day I bend over and it falls out of my pants pocket. It couldn't have fallen more than 3 feet. It landed on the corner and the back glass cracked from corner to corner and a small part of one corner chipped off. I realize that I dropped it on the floor, but really, it cracks, from 3 feet??? I bet I dropped my Galaxy Note 4 fifty times and while it had some dents and scratches, it never cracked anywhere. I wanted Gorilla glass also due to my clumsiness. That was the reason I wanted the Note 7--but I just missed that fiasco. I guess Gorilla glass is just a bunch of hype by Corning Glass. I suspect this isn't Google's fault, it is misinformation (read that as "lies") from Corning Glass. So I guess we can all write off that feature...:(

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Jeremy8000. It is a big problem. I got my new Google Pixel last week. Naturally, the first day I bend over and it falls out of my pants pocket. It couldn't have fallen more than 3 feet. It landed on the corner and the back glass cracked from corner to corner and a small part of one corner chipped off. I realize that I dropped it on the floor, but really, it cracks, from 3 feet??? I bet I dropped my Galaxy Note 4 fifty times and while it had some dents and scratches, it never cracked anywhere. I wanted Gorilla glass also due to my clumsiness. That was the reason I wanted the Note 7--but I just missed that fiasco. I guess Gorilla glass is just a bunch of hype by Corning Glass. I suspect this isn't Google's fault, it is misinformation (read that as "lies") from Corning Glass. So I guess we can all write off that feature...:(

Man that sucks! You just keeping it or doing an insurance claim?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance