Question about cases and aluminum Body phones

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Ordered the Pixel XL and i'm looking to get a case. I had a Nexus 6P with the Ringke Fusion case its a plastic back case with a TPU bumper around it

55968.jpg

I noticed over time that the back of the Nexus 6P became pitted (little kind of white chips on the back of the phone) I then realized it must be the dust particles that get stuck in the back of the case. I'm wondering if anyone has a Nexus 6P with a Spigen’s Rugged Armor case, if so did you notice over time your phone having chips in it similar to the image below. Those little white dots that look like dust are actually chips. I am thinking of getting the Spigen’s Rugged Armor case for my Pixel XL

IMG_20161027_134822.jpg

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep I have the black 6P and that same Spigen case... And I do have same issue with small little pits on my 6P... It's very irritating as I've taken very good care of my phone and it's always been in the case, but you wouldn't know that if you take the case off and see all the pits. I don't think it has anything to do with the stuff getting inside the case... I think the case is made of plastic that's too had for the black coating on the 6P.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not getting this case again for my Pixel. Instead I'm going back to the OtterBox Commuter... I've had them on all my previous phones and never had this issue. I've always loved the Commuter case and I'm happy to see they're available for the Pixel.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
This is exactly my concern as well. I have a Spigen Rugged Armour to protect my Pixel but am concerned about the potential long term effects of using it. I've seen a mate's Note 4 side rails get ruined by dust etc getting inside his Spigen case so am a bit cautious about this.

I've also bought a genuine Pixel case (the silicone one with the microfibre lining) which is lovely. I'm currently changing between the two. I definitely like the official case, but it doesn't cover the bottom of the phone, so you're forced to choose - do you want the all-round protection of a full case, but with the potential for unseen damage to occur, or go the official case route and risk more serious damage from a drop as more of the phone is exposed. I think long term I'll go the official case route, or ensure I take the Spigen case off regularly to clean inside it.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You ARE supposed to take the case off from time to time to clean the phone and get the dust out.

People with pits - did you do that?

I'm thinking it was dust/debris since if it was just the case rubbing it would not be pits, they would look more like rubs and wouldn't be as precise.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly my concern as well. I have a Spigen Rugged Armour to protect my Pixel but am concerned about the potential long term effects of using it. I've seen a mate's Note 4 side rails be ruined by dust etc getting inside his Spigen case so am a bit cautious about this too.

I've also bought a genuine Pixel case (the silicone one with the microfibre lining) which is lovely. I'm currently changing between the two. I definitely like the official case but as it doesn't cover the bottom of the phone, so you're forced to choose - do you want the all-round protection of a full case, but with the potential for unseen damage to occur, or go the official case route and risk more serious damage from a drop as more of the phone is exposed. I think long term I'll go the official case route, or ensure I take the Spigen case off regularly to clean inside it.

I had no idea the official case had a microfiber backing inside of it. That is absolutely genius, I hope more cases come out with that.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the Incipio DualPro on my Pixel XL. About 1-2 a week I always take my phones out of the case and clean both to make sure all particles that could issues are cleaned out. I'd recommend doing that. At the same time, I think actual plastic is horrible. I would never use a case unless the phone will sit against rubber.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Two thoughts...

1.) This is one reason I prefer the plain aluminum (silver) finish as opposed to colored anodizations. It seems to hold up better to abrasion and scratches. Unfortunately I find the white bezels on the silver pixel distracting. Hope Pixel 2 has black front/silver back.

2.) Since having a Rhino Crash Guard on my 6P, I see no reason for a full case. It offers excellent protection from drops (unless you drop it on rocks), and doesn't cover up the back.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Two thoughts...

1.) This is one reason I prefer the plain aluminum (silver) finish as opposed to colored anodizations. It seems to hold up better to abrasion and scratches. Unfortunately I find the white bezels on the silver pixel distracting. Hope Pixel 2 has black front/silver back.

2.) Since having a Rhino Crash Guard on my 6P, I see no reason for a full case. It offers excellent protection from drops (unless you drop it on rocks), and doesn't cover up the back.

Agreed I would of loved to have aluminum back with black front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze