Pretty close to sending pixel back

Tf407

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Did you read the post? Yes, there are issues with the carrier, but also with the phone. Worse is, the phone maker is the carrier and can't make things work. Kind of like google making the os, and can't clean up the bugs, that are fairly annoying. A communication device that isn't communicating with the user to announce waiting issues to take care of. Doesn't give me a lot of hope that google will be any different than apple or samsung or you name the manufacturer. While the package was/is nice, it just seems rushed to me with the nagging issues...for me.
I did read the post and I'm not saying you're wrong, however out of all the issues you posted, only pulse led notification seems to be something not carrier related and that is certainly not a deal breaker by any means. WiFi seems to be a concern on here for most

Project fi is certainly a work in progress and it would be hard to compare a phone performance on that to another phones performance on other networks that are more established

How do other phones perform on fi? That might a comparison, but comparing fi performance with the pixel and att on Samsung is not apples and apples

jtmo3

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Hind sight is great sometimes. Luckily for me, I have a week or so to send this pixel back and it looks like it will be going back. I doubt google is going to release any update in the next few days to fix these issues. I can't even get their escalated support to get back to me with the fi issues.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a pixel xl and it is a fine device. But I still have my galaxy s7 edge. I would prefer a flat screen but I like the 5.5 size. The s7 edge is easier to hold in one hand. Wireless charging, micro sd card slot and water proofing are all good features.

I don't doubt that the pixel has better software and will get better updates...but by the time my s7 edge croaks the pixel 2 will be out, and I imagine a much better device.

$1083 for the pixel xl 128 gig. The more I think about it, the more I think--its just too much for a 1st gen device missing some features I think are important.

in a perfect world I'd be very happy with my note 7. But that isn't an option, so....and the pixel xl is an amazing device. But..as I use it for the last week, its harder and harder to justify keeping it. Not as long as my s7 edge still works.

I wonder if the $549 htc 10 is the better buy...although also missing wireless charging, water proofing, but micro sd slot!

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
----
How do other phones perform on fi? That might a comparison, but comparing fi performance with the pixel and att on Samsung is not apples and apples

Agreed - had a 5x on Fi, have the Pixel on Verizon. 5x/Fi experiment didn't last long. Fi and the Pixel are the new kids on the block and need time to "grow up"

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If it isn't fitting your needs grab what is. Always be happy with your phone - not what others are happy with :).

jtmo3

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Ya, wifi stinks too. In my post I mentioned the inability to make wifi calls like I can on the samsung and at&t.

The pulse light is sort of a deal breaker for me. I use my device for work and it's a communication device. I need it to communicate with me. Ya, I can unlock it and use the notification screen to see them, but why, when other phones make it much easier at the same price point. Like fi and the pixel, I want google to succeed, but I'm unwilling to give them my hard earned cash to experiment with when others already meet my needs. With the nexus, I was willing and it actually worked better than the pixel has.

And not to argue, but why is comparing the the pixel and fi against the samsung and at&t not a good comparison. They're competing in the same industry and if you use a couple three gigs of data, the same price point? I'm unwilling to let google slide on this considering they're asking competing prices for their product now. If it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper, that would be an argument, but it's not. So, if you want to play with the big boys, bring your lunch or stay home.

Edit: I should have also said pulse light is a deal breaker when coupled with no ambient display.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ya, wifi stinks too. In my post I mentioned the inability to make wifi calls like I can on the samsung and at&t.

Blame AT&T on this one. They refuse to play nice with this unlocked phone unlike T-Mobile and Verizon.

jtmo3

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Blame AT&T??? What does at&t have to do with paying this much for a phone labels as top tier, that doesn't necessarily meet the criteria for me at this point? I think you misunderstand? Wifi calling on samsung and at&t lets me shut down or loose data and still make a wifi call. Try turning on airplane mode and then turn on wifi and try to make a call with your pixel on fi. Let me know how that works. In my case, it doesn't. And when I call fi support, there answer is usually, is the setting on? Restart. Re activate fi. Do a restore/reset.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I feel like I'm a beta tester for google sometimes. Had the pixel for 4 days now. Running into a lot of issues. I use the phone on fi network. That's where the beginning of the issues started. When I'm connected to t-mobile everything seems fine. When it connects to sprint, the phone thinks I'm from pasadena, ca when I'm in missouri. So local calls require 10 digits or you get someone in california. US cellular, forget it, I get a recording from verizon about can't make a call and it hangs up. No data is usable. I've called and chatted with fi support numerous times and they have been no help in sorting this issue out. It was escaled last thursday, but as of yet haven't heard anything back. Way too long a time.

As to the phone there are numerous things wrong. Again, I use fi. Based on using wifi and cell coverage. I can sit 10 feet from several routers and can't make a wifi call. On a samsung (at&t), I can turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi on and make calls all day with wifi calling. With the pixel, if I do that, the phone will just sit there saying dialing and never make a call. This happens in our work building at times because depending on where I'm at there I might not have a cell signal, but good wifi. No incoming or outgoing calls until I get a cell signal back. For a phone and network that pushes wifi calling, this is not good.

Many other smaller issues. Pulse notification light does not work for most anything but texts. No light for missed calls. No light for voicemails. No light for emails I've asked for notification on. This would be livable except that ambient display doesn't work except when you actually receive the item that's set to notify you. It doesn't work when you pick up or tilt the phone up like my nexus did. You basically have to open the phone or push the power button. Hell, even the iphone has this beat now.

There are a few more things and I could go on, but this is getting long enough. For a phone at this cost point and using googles own service, this shouldn't be happening. Again, I feel like I'm paying google to be a beta tester for things that all worked on a nexus 5x. It might be different on verizon, but for thing other than fi related, I doubt it. Besides venting on my part, is anyone else seeing any of these things, or maybe some I've missed since I've only had 4 days with it? I want to like this phone, but too much seems missing and not working quite right with only a promise from google that they're working on things.

I haven't had any of these problems. Maybe a factory reset would fix it. Very strange. I see why you're annoyed.

jtmo3

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
So, you get a pulse light for missed call and voicemails? Your ambient display works past the initial notification?

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I Got Rid Of My Pixel....

I liked it, in fact LOVED it.

But it was the noise, rattling, etc around the camera that Google said they never heard of, but would replace, but others said they had it, some said it would go away if you open the camera app, proving it was the lens.

I don't know. I was scared not knowing if it was normal, or having to return it, and worse, returning it and getting it the same symptom

I sure would love some input. YES! You had the same problem and it is fine. NO! you have no problem so return it and I will be fine

I am at a loss as to what to replace it with
1. S7 Edge
2. V20
3. iPhone 7 Plus
The 3 arguably say are the best, without going back to the OnePlus 3 or any other phone from China

Any help would be perfect. I would like to be told get the phone again (could have been the signal to have waited for the blue phone)

Thanks

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: I Got Rid Of My Pixel....

I liked it, in fact LOVED it.

But it was the noise, rattling, etc around the camera that Google said they never heard of, but would replace, but others said they had it, some said it would go away if you open the camera app, proving it was the lens.

I don't know. I was scared not knowing if it was normal, or having to return it, and worse, returning it and getting it the same symptom

I sure would love some input. YES! You had the same problem and it is fine. NO! you have no problem so return it and I will be fine

I am at a loss as to what to replace it with
1. S7 Edge
2. V20
3. iPhone 7 Plus
The 3 arguably say are the best, without going back to the OnePlus 3 or any other phone from China

Any help would be perfect. I would like to be told get the phone again (could have been the signal to have waited for the blue phone)

Thanks

Honestly I have the 7 Plus and the Pixel and I'd call it even. So in my opinion I'd say 7 Plus if you just can't live with the Pixel. At least with Apple like the Pixel you'll always be current regarding software and cameras are pretty much equal.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

thanks Maverick. Have you had, or at least read about this noise in the camera of some phones?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

My nexus 6p made the same noise from the autofocus mechanism. It was never an issue.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If you don't like the Pixel thendefinitely go with the V20. Not as smooth as the Pixel but very close due to LGs UX interface. After using Nougat I can't go back to Marshmallow as its just not as smooth on my S7 Edge.

Oh and my Pixel XL has zero noise from the camera. Maybe you just got a defective unit.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely try the 7 Plus. I've tried iPhone before but took it back

I like to customize as far as widgets, clocks, launchers, wallpapers. Not heavy like rooting

And I don't know if it was that stuff I couldn't do (You can do wallpapers) or was it the fact that I am so anal and know exactly how and where to find my pics and music there. The apple guy said "oh no you can't drag that music there" He really didn't know or they didn't want me to? I told him i converted to m4a and all was fine. He was so into getting a weekly or monthly subscription of where to get music etc

So I don't know if it was that. Or me used to making my home pages certain ways. I could drag the icons out to different pages and also use folders to do something similar

I know none of us can decide for each other, but does it sound like I knew what I was doing and I have to take their advice with a grain of salt, and also enjoy the phone and give it a little bit of time to get it set up. Also, I mean once I get over the wallpaper changign and widgets (clock mlb at bat) I don't usually bother with them. I'd just have to get used to hitting the calendar app, and mlb app, instead of being able to look at it and see what I want.

Or does it sound like what I said, don't try one again

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a pixel xl and it is a fine device. But I still have my galaxy s7 edge. I would prefer a flat screen but I like the 5.5 size. The s7 edge is easier to hold in one hand. Wireless charging, micro sd card slot and water proofing are all good features.

I don't doubt that the pixel has better software and will get better updates...but by the time my s7 edge croaks the pixel 2 will be out, and I imagine a much better device.

$1083 for the pixel xl 128 gig. The more I think about it, the more I think--its just too much for a 1st gen device missing some features I think are important.

in a perfect world I'd be very happy with my note 7. But that isn't an option, so....and the pixel xl is an amazing device. But..as I use it for the last week, its harder and harder to justify keeping it. Not as long as my s7 edge still works.

I wonder if the $549 htc 10 is the better buy...although also missing wireless charging, water proofing, but micro sd slot!
I as well have the s7 edge and got the pixel XL 2 days ago. I am now having buyers remorse. I can't justify spending $800 out of pocket for a device that is nothing better than my s7 edge. Yes the battery is better, but that's why the s7 has fast wireless charging. Also the pixel XL is a lot more cumbersome in the hand. Although the s7 edges are very thin to hold, I find it 10x easier to do one handed tasks that I can't do on the pixel which is frustrating to me. The chin is what is really driving my crazy bc it adds more height to the screen. I have no hard feelings on the pixel xl, just can't see it being a better phone than what I have at this point in the game. I tried it and gave it a shot!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Blame AT&T??? What does at&t have to do with paying this much for a phone labels as top tier, that doesn't necessarily meet the criteria for me at this point? I think you misunderstand? Wifi calling on samsung and at&t lets me shut down or loose data and still make a wifi call. Try turning on airplane mode and then turn on wifi and try to make a call with your pixel on fi. Let me know how that works. In my case, it doesn't. And when I call fi support, there answer is usually, is the setting on? Restart. Re activate fi. Do a restore/reset.

I am saying on an unlocked phone T-Mobile and Verizon work for HD voice, VoLTE, wifi calling, etc. AT&T purposely doesn't because they can't put their bloat on it so therefore they don't want to play game.

That's what I was commenting on. I can turn on airplane mode and make wifi calls just fine via my T-Mobile connection. I can do it once home tonight if you want.