Bought from Google, has Verizon system apps

wire1141

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Like the title says, I bought an XL from Google store(10/4). Received on 10/29. While looking through the system apps I found some Verizon apps that could only be disabled. Support says these same system apps are on the phone models they have and that I shouldn't worry about it. Is this what other phones from Google store have? Any feed back would be awesome!

Attachments

• 613.jpg
    613.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 421

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Had you already put in your Verizon SIM before noticing this? If so, possible they were installed as part of an auto-install package.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been on at&t since they were SWBell. Never even been in a Verizon store. My bad for leaving that out of OP

No idea... My first thought would be that maybe they somehow shipped you one that was from the Verizon 'stock' by accident... Hopefully someone with a Verizon-purchased device can chime in as to whether theirs shows those in their list. Don't know if the build number is different, but for reference, mine is NDE63L. If yours is different, that might be an indicator.

wire1141

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
No idea... My first thought would be that maybe they somehow shipped you one that was from the Verizon 'stock' by accident... Hopefully someone with a Verizon-purchased device can chime in as to whether theirs shows those in their list. Don't know if the build number is different, but for reference, mine is NDE63L. If yours is different, that might be an indicator.

I have the same build as you.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says, I bought an XL from Google store(10/4). Received on 10/29. While looking through the system apps I found some Verizon apps that could only be disabled. Support says these same system apps are on the phone models they have and that I shouldn't worry about it. Is this what other phones from Google store have? Any feed back would be awesome!

Mine didn't.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Verizon pixel xl and it has the same system apps.

I'm thinking we need the Verizon Login app to log into Verizon on our phones - mine is not disabled.

ETA - disabled Login app - can't log in to Verizon - can you believe that - :D

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hm definitely odd. At least they're easily uninstalled. I wish more bloat was like that.. I wouldn't have an issue with it then haha.

wire1141

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I communicated with an admin. at AP and he has the same situation.
Google store phone.
AT&T sim.
Verizon system apps.
He allowed as how this was not all that unusual... Even on some of the nexi.
(I disabled the Verizon login app myself).
Support is well aware of how I feel about the situation and I will be leaving feedback through phone. I still believe a pure phone bought at store shouldn't have these system apps unless you load a sim with that carrier.
I'm wondering if anyone else has put an at&t sim in a Google store phone and has these same system apps?
Besides all that, I'm loving this phone. It's my first trip away from Apple and Samsung and now I see what all the love for a purish experience has been for!
Thanks for the input!

drufranco

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I am with Verizion and my Pixel XL doesn't have any of that. I preordered mine as well and on initial setup it updated all the apps and was also trying to download all of the Verizon ones. I stopped all but the My Verizon and the Support and Protection one.

*EDIT* Yeah my bad they are in there under system apps clicked too fast when I was originally looking.

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a phone bought directly from Google and only used on Cricket and I have them:

4fdb05fab06945d06019a62e1a8f16e7.jpg

But they only show up if I enable display system apps so I don't think this is an issue. These aren't customer facing apps but most likely just the bits put into Android so carrier features (in this case for Verizon) will work.

I recall the Nexus 6 was similar.

Edit: Yeah this is nothing new, see here, Nexus phones have had this stuff before: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...the-android-5-1-update-rustled-jimmies-ensue/

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel XL is from the Google Store, used on Project Fi, and I have those Verizon system apps as well, and they only show when you say Show system apps. It's not the same as the 3 apps that get installed when you insert a Verizon SIM.

Nothing to worry about.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My Pixel XL is from the Google Store, used on Project Fi, and I have those Verizon system apps as well, and they only show when you say Show system apps. It's not the same as the 3 apps that get installed when you insert a Verizon SIM.

Nothing to worry about.
Exactly, if we don't want carrier specific phones but want a phone that will work on all carriers and be able to support carrier features, this is what is needed.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a phone bought directly from Google and only used on Cricket and I have them:

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/4fdb05fab06945d06019a62e1a8f16e7.jpg

But they only show up if I enable display system apps so I don't think this is an issue. These aren't customer facing apps but most likely just the bits put into Android so carrier features (in this case for Verizon) will work.

I recall the Nexus 6 was similar.

Edit: Yeah this is nothing new, see here, Nexus phones have had this stuff before: [Ermahgerd] Verizon Apps Spotted On The Nexus 6's System Partition After The Android 5.1 Update, Rustled Jimmies Ensue

That's not true, I don't have any of those apps. I would NEVER accept this. They would have to replace the phone for me. We were told the Verizon Bloatware could be uninstalled (not jut disabled). What's the point of buying from Google if they put carrier bloatware on the phone.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That's not true, I don't have any of those apps. I would NEVER accept this. They would have to replace the phone for me. We were told the Verizon Bloatware could be uninstalled (not jut disabled). What's the point of buying from Google if they put carrier bloatware on the phone.
You do have them. Click the menu and choose show system.

So you'd rather have carrier specific versions of the phone? These are system apps. Things needed for activation on a network and such.

Apple phones are are considered to not have any bloatware but you can bet there is stuff like this on them. It's not a big deal.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Nothing to worry about.

Yup, I wouldnt worry about it. Some things having to be baked in so they work correctly isn't a big deal. The fact that these system apps dont show up anywhere else in the phone's UI and the fact that they are on both the verizon variant and the play store variant means they dont affect updates either. I wouldn't worry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae