I used the OP3 for 4 months before using the Pixel xl for 2 weeks now. I wanted to share some comparisons between the two for you guys. Screen.. Pixel but not by a huge margin though. It's nice to have Qhd but really with naked eye I don't see huge difference but enough to give pixel the win. Battery... OP3 and this is tricky. I'm a heavy user and run 3 businesses on my phone so no phone makes it through a day but the OP3 quick charge is far superior so the Pixel may make it little longer but I spend less time charging total with the OP3. Camera... Pixel but not by huge margin. The speed of camera is how it wins but it's not a knockout. It's definitely better in most conditions the the OP3. Smoothness. Pixel but again not a knockout but definitely a small difference. Build.... Tie... Both are constructed great I prefer the look of the Pixel but could be cause it's my shiny new toy. Price.... Well you know... In conclusion I love the Pixel but I think it's because of my nerdom I like having the "Google" phone and assistant is cool even if I have to for e myself to use it which will be better when my Google home gets here. If I needed a great phone and wasn't and wasn't the ridiculous person I am and wanting the latest and greatest I can't find many arguments to not get the OP3. You can't go wrong with either but unless you want the "Google" phone the OP3 is just as good in most categories and half the price. But I don't regret my Pixel at all though.
    11-03-2016 01:54 AM
    You can't go wrong with either but unless you want the "Google" phone the OP3 is just as good in most categories and half the price.
    I can't agree 100% with your conclusion based on your observations, but only because I'm a person who gets too specific and so I'm singling out the phrase, "just as good". The Pixel seems to be better across the board except for on price, and the OP3 seems to be performing "almost as good" and for a lower price.

The way I look at it is a severe case of diminishing returns and we see it in some other devices as well (Axon 7, Moto Z Play, OnePlus 3, heck even the Nexus 5X) - up to a certain point, value scales directly with price - and that point seems to be in the $400 phone range. After that, each incremental improvement in experience seems to cost more and more until you're just throwing money at something that's barely getting better.

Since I'm bored and at work at 2 AM for some reason, I made a chart.

11-03-2016 02:11 AM
    I used the OP3 for 4 months before using the Pixel xl for 2 weeks now. I wanted to share some comparisons between the two for you guys. Screen.. Pixel but not by a huge margin though. It's nice to have Qhd but really with naked eye I don't see huge difference but enough to give pixel the win. Battery... OP3 and this is tricky. I'm a heavy user and run 3 businesses on my phone so no phone makes it through a day but the OP3 quick charge is far superior so the Pixel may make it little longer but I spend less time charging total with the OP3. Camera... Pixel but not by huge margin. The speed of camera is how it wins but it's not a knockout. It's definitely better in most conditions the the OP3. Smoothness. Pixel but again not a knockout but definitely a small difference. Build.... Tie... Both are constructed great I prefer the look of the Pixel but could be cause it's my shiny new toy. Price.... Well you know... In conclusion I love the Pixel but I think it's because of my nerdom I like having the "Google" phone and assistant is cool even if I have to for e myself to use it which will be better when my Google home gets here. If I needed a great phone and wasn't and wasn't the ridiculous person I am and wanting the latest and greatest I can't find many arguments to not get the OP3. You can't go wrong with either but unless you want the "Google" phone the OP3 is just as good in most categories and half the price. But I don't regret my Pixel at all though.
    YOU ARE CORRECT- The problem with smartphones today are dumb customers, ourselves included. Let me explain. Most people don't research even though they have the world at their fingertips via the internet. I've owned smartphones by moto, lg, samsung, htc, and ZTE. I've had the galaxy note 2, note 4, S7 edge, lg v10. Now I've got a pixel, still have the S7 EDGE, and ZTE axon 7. While all of these phones are great phones, the one that stands out the most is the Axon 7. Why, am I crazy? It only costs $399.00. Well I did my research, and found that the only review that was a tad bit negative, was that the Axon 7 camera is good, but not great in low light situations. It is a top tier flagship phone. Build quality just as good as my pixel, and samsung galaxy s7 edge. It has 64 gb of on board storage plus micro sd card expansion. A great amoled screen(which is made by samsung), tremendous battery life, and the biggest reason I got it- the best audio sound system of ANY smartphone, LG included. Great amps, and dolby atmos. It also rocks the 820 processor. Its as speedy as the S7 edge and pixel. To be honest, its my favorite out of the 3. If this phone was sold at a major carrier, it would probably be their number 1 seller. So do your homework before buying. I wish the Axon 7 had been released before I bought my S7 edge. Now don't misunderstant what I'm trying to say. I think the pixel is a great phone, but it doesnt do anything that the other 2 won't do. It might be a tiny bit faster, but really unnoticeable. Google assistant is the same on all 3 phones. What i tell it on pixel, it'll do on the other 2. No memory expansion. I could go on and on. And what the hell is with the bezels? Ugly. If the prototype of next years iPhone prove to be correct, it'll make the Pixel an instant dinosaur. So why did I buy the pixel? I fell for the hype and trusted Google that this phone would be the greatest smartphone mankind has ever seen. Boy, was I wrong. Wost psrt if all- the price holy crap.
    11-03-2016 06:01 AM
    I'd agree that the axon 7 is pretty awesome, but couldn't call it a flagship. It shares an issue with the OnePlus 3 (not working on the networks used by those in the US), got some really nice hardware reviews but almost no one liked the software, including AC ZTE Axon 7 review: Incredible hardware, dicey software | Android Central, it's remaining pretty far behind on security and other updates, etc. Basically, from a hardware standpoint, the Axon 7 is hitting out of its league, while the Moto Z Play and OnePlus 3 are merely really great values for the money, it's obvious that good enough and best remain separate terms with those devices. Those three devices did do one heck of a job of blurring the lines for the summer though. The Moto X had done that for awhile, just by underpricing actual flagships - now the midrange players have actually stepped up midrange to so close to flagships as to not matter for most consumers.
    11-03-2016 06:42 AM
    I'd agree that the axon 7 is pretty awesome, but couldn't call it a flagship. It shares an issue with the OnePlus 3 (not working on the networks used by those in the US), got some really nice hardware reviews but almost no one liked the software, including AC ZTE Axon 7 review: Incredible hardware, dicey software | Android Central, it's remaining pretty far behind on security and other updates, etc. Basically, from a hardware standpoint, the Axon 7 is hitting out of its league, while the Moto Z Play and OnePlus 3 are merely really great values for the money, it's obvious that good enough and best remain separate terms with those devices. Those three devices did do one heck of a job of blurring the lines for the summer though. The Moto X had done that for awhile, just by underpricing actual flagships - now the midrange players have actually stepped up midrange to so close to flagships as to not matter for most consumers.
    I agree. We are at a point where most phones are good enough. The sum of the parts and integration with the software is the key. I see the Axon 7 as a device that has all the specs but poor software. The day to day experience is mostly software related.

To be fair, I would have gotten the OnePlus 3 or the Moto Z play if I wasn't such a stock Android nerd. Both phones run a clean version of Android and have both been praised for how that operate.

Even still I, my only justification for getting the Pixel phone is because I want it and can afford it. I do not mind over paying for things as long as I know I am voluntarily doing it.
    11-03-2016 07:01 AM
    I agree. We are at a point where most phones are good enough. The sum of the parts and integration with the software is the key. I see the Axon 7 as a device that has all the specs but poor software. The day to day experience is mostly software related.

To be fair, I would have gotten the OnePlus 3 or the Moto Z play if I wasn't such a stock Android nerd. Both phones run a clean version of Android and have both been praised for how that operate.

Even still I, my only justification for getting the Pixel phone is because I want it and can afford it. I do not mind over paying for things as long as I know I am voluntarily doing it.
    Not as you have to justify your desires; I agree with your statement. I am in the know and I choose to proceed in that direction.
    11-03-2016 07:06 AM
    if I wasn't such a stock Android nerd. .
    When I call you a nerd later, don't be mad be glad!
    11-03-2016 07:06 AM
    Oneplus 3 is the worse phone, but not by much, and obviously the main selling point is the price. If it was me I'd go for the op3, since double the price for a slightly better camera and display and better software support just isn't worth it for me.

I think the axon 7 has the October security update and is moderately fast with os updates (faster than Samsung but doesn't compete with nexus/pixel). The only problem I saw people have with the software was the notification bell, but apparently that was fixed with the aforementioned security update.
    11-03-2016 07:12 AM
    Oneplus 3 is the worse phone, but not by much, and obviously the main selling point is the price. If it was me I'd go for the op3, since double the price for a slightly better camera and display and better software support just isn't worth it for me.

I think the axon 7 has the October security update and is moderately fast with os updates (faster than Samsung but doesn't compete with nexus/pixel). The only problem I saw people have with the software was the notification bell, but apparently that was fixed with the aforementioned security update.
    I still think the OnePlus 3, Moto z play, and the Axon 7 are all good phones. Most people would be happy with any one of the three, especially for the price.

I do feel guilty about not getting the best value phone but I think that will change once I get the Pixel XL.
    11-03-2016 07:18 AM
    You people do realize that 99.999% of the people on this earth pick up their cell phones, make a call, send a text, do whatever, and never ever bisect, dissect, or perform an autopsy on their phones, don't you?

You are all nerdy geeky people who should avail yourselves of your Employee Assistance Programs -

(Submitted with all due respect to nerdy geeks who have been a great source of info for me here on AC)
    Aquila, Wiley_11 and libra89 like this.
    11-03-2016 07:29 AM
    You people do realize that 99.999% of the people on this earth pick up their cell phones, make a call, send a text, do whatever, and never ever bisect, dissect, or perform an autopsy on their phones, don't you?

You are all nerdy geeky people who should avail yourselves of your Employee Assistance Programs -

(Submitted with all due respect to nerdy geeks who have been a great source of info for me here on AC)
    I fully understand and agree.
    anon(9227267) likes this.
    11-03-2016 07:32 AM
    I seriously considered going from my 5X to a OnePlus 3 as it seems a great phone. Price aside, in fact all other factors aside, the only reason I bough a Pixel is for guaranteed security updates.

Whilst I have 2FA and fingerprint security, I want to be sure that my data is as secure as it can be, and from what I can tell the only way to do that at the moment is with a Pixel or a Blackberry. Until other manufacturers start guaranteeing security updates it'll be Pixel all the way for me.

What price do you put on your data I guess?
    11-03-2016 07:32 AM
    I seriously considered going from my 5X to a OnePlus 3 as it seems a great phone. Price aside, in fact all other factors aside, the only reason I bough a Pixel is for guaranteed security updates.

Whilst I have 2FA and fingerprint security, I want to be sure that my data is as secure as it can be, and from what I can tell the only way to do that at the moment is with a Pixel or a Blackberry. Until other manufacturers start guaranteeing security updates it'll be Pixel all the way for me.

I mean, didn't Google say that the Pixel will only get 2 years of updates? I think Google should just offer 4 years of updates like Apple does. Pretty sure the hardware will be able to keep up.
    11-03-2016 10:36 AM

Samsung is pretty good with security updates. At most, you might miss one month and get it every other month or even every 3 months, depending on carriers and stuff. Ultimately I don't think it makes a big deal if oems skip some as long as they ultimately give it, since we're talking about minor updates that aren't being exploited to anyone's knowledge. Some speculate that due to the fact Google gives an update every month without fail, it must mean that they have minor fixes they want to make on back-order, which would mean that google isn't actually giving you all the fixes anyway.

I mean, I could point to the galaxy s5, which is two and a half years old but has the October security update. And has got two os updates. So they may have the same policy as Google, two os updates and security updates a year after that.
    11-03-2016 10:55 AM
    I mean, didn't Google say that the Pixel will only get 2 years of updates? I think Google should just offer 4 years of updates like Apple does. Pretty sure the hardware will be able to keep up.
    Apple builds their own processor, so can make that guarantee. Google doesn't (yet), so is at the mercy of Qualcomm as to how long they will support it (and so can only guarantee 2 years OS)
    11-03-2016 11:05 AM
    I can't speak for other geeks or nerds. But the value in this phone (xl for me). .

Is not being held hostage by the carriers.

After years and years of getting the shaft from carriers because they stopped supporting a phone because the next big thing has been released. . For me it wasn't a question of this or something else, it was this or a N6P.

As I tend to keep phones for 3 or 4 years, I am excited to think that 6 months from now, not only will it still run great, but Google will still be supporting it.

I have had phones from Verizon, sprint and t-mo. All of them, even a "flagship" phone starts to act up and carriers could care less. . "Buy a new one if you want an update or if our last update 6 months ago broke something else"

I think for most tech heads, this phone is about the software, the rest is just gravy.
    11-03-2016 12:00 PM