05-19-2017 06:39 PM
809 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Hey guys,

I am interested in the Pixel, however, this thread has me worried. How do I monitor what band my carrier is using? I am in South America where there have been problems reported, however, I am not on Claro. I am on Movistar. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:

It appears that Claro, Movistar, and Personal, here in Argentina, use the following LTE band.

B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1) LTE. Is this the Band 4 that supposedly has been a problem with this phone?

Thanks again.
    11-20-2016 09:38 AM
    This thread has turned into an echo chamber of the same 4-5 users complaining about the issue endlessly. Not everyone is experiencing what you are. The signal on my Pixel XL is noticeably better than my two previous devices, a 2014 Moto X Pure Edition (that phone was a disappointment signal-wise compared to past Moto devices) and a ZTE Axon 7. Assuming this isn't all just Verizon network issues, Google will issue a fix when it has one. Deal with it or return/sell the phone for something that works better for you.
    Just FYI, I am on T-Mobile and have these problems. Signal quality certainly appears worse than my 6P.
    11-20-2016 10:34 AM
    Just FYI, I am on T-Mobile and have these problems. Signal quality certainly appears worse than my 6P.
    Thanks for that info
    11-20-2016 10:44 AM
    11-20-2016 11:19 AM
    Make that 6 people.

No issues here so far on AT&T. LTE signal quality is excellent with no dropped calls, in a marginal coverage area. I had a 1.5 hour call the other day that started at home, transferred to the car bluetooth system, back to the phone at the gas station, back to the car bluetooth system, and then back to the phone, through 2 horrible signal areas where I would lose connection previously, and the call didn't drop. I'm not doubting that some folks have issues, as there are differences in devices due to the vagaries of the manufacturing process, but the echo chamber artificially amplifies the complaints and makes them seems like they are the norm - they aren't..
    hub1 likes this.
    11-20-2016 11:58 AM
    My signal is the same as my past few phones (6P, Note 7, 5X, S7 Edge). I get the same dBm in the same locations from what I've seen so far.
    11-20-2016 12:19 PM
    I've been moving my SIM cards between devices. 6P is about 10dBm better than Pixel.
    11-20-2016 01:01 PM
    10db is very significant fwiw.
    11-20-2016 01:05 PM
    Yes it is. It's the difference of signal, no signal, call and dropped call
    11-20-2016 01:08 PM
    So I just received an update to NDE63X with a new baseband version. Maybe this will help?
    11-20-2016 01:13 PM
    So I just received an update to NDE63X with a new baseband version. Maybe this will help?
    That is what I am presently on with Verizon. No difference for me. Good luck to you. Maybe you will have luck with it
    11-20-2016 01:16 PM
    I feel your pain, phone is almost unusable.
    Highest rated phone ever! LOL
    sicario666 likes this.
    11-20-2016 01:41 PM
    Highest rated phone for issues and returns would be more like it . Lots of catching up to do if they wanna be the apple of the Android world!
    11-20-2016 01:56 PM
    I feel bad for everyone who is experiencing connectivity issues. I experienced connectivity issues with my Galaxy S5 (on AT&T) that were never completely resolved, so I understand how frustrating that can be. Fortunately, I have experienced no such connectivity issues with my Pixel XL (on the Project Fi network).

I just used the Pixel XL in California to call Maryland. It was a 29 minute call. No connectivity issues.
    11-20-2016 02:00 PM
    This thread has turned into an echo chamber of the same 4-5 users complaining about the issue endlessly. Not everyone is experiencing what you are. The signal on my Pixel XL is noticeably better than my two previous devices, a 2014 Moto X Pure Edition (that phone was a disappointment signal-wise compared to past Moto devices) and a ZTE Axon 7. Assuming this isn't all just Verizon network issues, Google will issue a fix when it has one. Deal with it or return/sell the phone for something that works better for you.
    I suggest you move on to another thread to enter and complain in. If you were in fact enjoying these issues as much as everyone else,you would be playing a different tune. Your device works great,that's fantastic. Everyone else has a device that does not work as expected. This isn't a Kyocera device. It's Google.

Every forum member will come in and share their opinion and angers about this issue until it is completely fixed. I sold my pixel. Couldn't wait any longer.
    11-20-2016 02:38 PM
    Highest rated phone for issues and returns would be more like it . Lots of catching up to do if they wanna be the apple of the Android world!
    They apparently already are the Apple of the Android world. Remember Apple's iPhone4 "AntennaGate"?!
    11-20-2016 03:44 PM
    Yes it is. It's the difference of signal, no signal, call and dropped call
    If the signal is weak enough yes.. If the signal is okay / strong then no.
    11-20-2016 03:55 PM
    I suggest you move on to another thread to enter and complain in. If you were in fact enjoying these issues as much as everyone else,you would be playing a different tune. Your device works great,that's fantastic. Everyone else has a device that does not work as expected. This isn't a Kyocera device. It's Google.

Every forum member will come in and share their opinion and angers about this issue until it is completely fixed. I sold my pixel. Couldn't wait any longer.
    If you sold it, then why are you still here complaining? I'll stay, thanks. Someone needs to provide the counterbalance to the 5 people complaining over and over about the same thing.
    Bearcats98 and Zendroid1 like this.
    11-20-2016 04:41 PM
    People with connectivity issues needs to send Google feedback. Hit the settings, then swipe over to support, toward the bottom of the screen , it says send feedback. We need to let them know, they say they know, but we need to make sure. Google is dragging their feet I'm sure.
    11-20-2016 04:45 PM
    I noticed that . I'm surprised they didn't issue an update to disable that
    11-20-2016 04:54 PM
    If you sold it, then why are you still here complaining? I'll stay, thanks. Someone needs to provide the counterbalance to the 5 people complaining over and over about the same thing.
    Who elected you as moderator? There are articles on every major android site about this and a lot more than 5 people with problems. About 500 posts in multiple threads. I experimented with this real life in the Verizon store recently. My droid Turbo, a galaxy S7 and LG V20 all within 5 feet of each other all set to LTE/CDMA mode. All the phones had signal strength right at -70 dBm and the Pixel right in the middle of them was -93. The store manager had a Pixel in his pocket and it was -102. He told me it drops a lot of calls. There really is an issue. This forum was meant to help people and discuss real problems and look for solutions. There is no need for you to "counterbalance" the thread. This is not politics requiring equal time.
    DJM626 and sicario666 like this.
    11-20-2016 04:57 PM
    You're obviously joking as there are a lot of people with this issue. You don't have to own the phone to be concerned, We are all Google fans to some degree. I was on the verge of buying the phone when this issue started cropping up. Surprised the heck outta me as Google stated the idea behind the glass on the upper back was for better signal. In any case I'm disappointed but waiting for a fix so I can maybe pick one up. That's why I come in here. I'm a Google fan and potential customer.
    sicario666, DJM626 and benjamminh like this.
    11-20-2016 05:46 PM
    I sold it. I created the thread so I'm sticking to it. Thanks. You're a special snowflake right now. Yours works. Go kick rocks and make a phone call.
    11-20-2016 06:03 PM
    11-20-2016 06:12 PM
    Some people are saying my Pixel shows x dBm less than another phone, so its reception must be worse. These people are forgetting (or just don't know) that there are different bands. And even if the phones are on the same bands, they still can connect to different towers. You can check GCI value to tell that.

My Pixel signal is about 10 dBm weaker than my old Droid in the same place. But the difference is the Droid can't maintain a connection to band 4 and drops to band 13, which always has better range, while the Pixel can stay connected to band 2 and 4 and only drops to 13 if I move it farther from the window.

Another misconception, as I already mentioned, is mixing "signal drop" and "no LTE at all" issues. The first one is experienced mostly by people in the US and Canada. The second is mostly South America and Europe. The cause of the second issue is most likely incorrect mapping of MNC (mobile network code) to LTE band sets. If you don't believe me, download a factory image, extract modem.img and see it for yourself. Another proof is a user at https://productforums.google.com/for...c/L4ewjVzZBAAJ who manually changed the band set to Japan got LTE working.
    11-20-2016 07:10 PM
809 ... 1213141516 ...