Pixel - Signal dropping (Update: Google Knows)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You would think they would have this down for sure! Now from what a lot of users are saying is that this update fixed the popping and distorted speaker sound, and it's funny that just about a month ago Google announced that it was a hardware issue and not a software issue. Now all of a sudden, it's a software issue. In some instances, I think they themselves are clueless.

Sometimes I think they should change their name to "Giggle" because they certainly are good for a lot of laughs..... That's for sure
When did they announce it was a hardware then software issue?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon Pixel XL - Dropping calls?

The phone is 900 dollars in Canada and over 1000 for the XL at my carrier. *shrug*

$869 + 9.75% tax= $953.73.

Heck no, not until if or when they ever fix the quirky connectivity issues.
We all live in different places so taxes are different ;). Either way yes the phone can be expensive on the bigger model / higher storage option.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It was on Google 9-5 and on reddit and some other forums

As in forums saying it? I am just curious on the official statement from Google. I remember them saying they were looking into the hardware and software but didn't confirm which it was. It appears with the latest update they issued some software to tweak it to help fix it but .. No confirm cause from what I see.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Aside from the Band 4 (maybe Band 12?) issue in Canada, I haven't seen any official statements from G, but then I haven't been looking for any either.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I didn't paste a link but phone arena had a write up from Google on in published in Jan some others too

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

This is from a Nexus 6P forum. Sound familiar???
Comment #70 on issue 232089 by*tcha.. @gmail.com: Android 7.1.1 Nexus 6P*
T-mobile network interruption bug
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=232089

This is still a problem on N4F26O, with the supplied baseband (03.78), and
for me at least it manifests in the exact same way; immediate modem reset
when CA kicks in with Band 2 as the PCC.

Steps to reproduce
Camp on a T-Mobile site with carrier aggregation (CA) and at least Bands 2
and 4.* Wait for device to camp on Band 2, then start a large download.

Frequency
100% of the time when the device is camping on Band 2 on a CA enabled site.

Expected output
I expect my LTE modem not to crash/reset. :)

Current output
Modem resets, losing all network connectivity, then re-establishes a
connection.* Occasionally it will not re-establish and a cycle of airplane
mode or even a full reboot is required.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

This is from a Nexus 6P forum. Sound familiar???
Comment #70 on issue 232089 by*tcha.. @gmail.com: Android 7.1.1 Nexus 6P*
T-mobile network interruption bug

This is still a problem on N4F26O, with the supplied baseband (03.78), and
for me at least it manifests in the exact same way; immediate modem reset
when CA kicks in with Band 2 as the PCC.

Steps to reproduce
Camp on a T-Mobile site with carrier aggregation (CA) and at least Bands 2
and 4.* Wait for device to camp on Band 2, then start a large download.

Frequency
100% of the time when the device is camping on Band 2 on a CA enabled site.

Expected output
I expect my LTE modem not to crash/reset. :)

Current output
Modem resets, losing all network connectivity, then re-establishes a
connection.* Occasionally it will not re-establish and a cycle of airplane
mode or even a full reboot is required.

Sounds to me like the common denominator maybe Nougat + carrier aggregation and a persons specific towers.

I think I'll stick with my flawless Nexus 6 RF performer awhile longer until it's sorted out............:D

Thanks for all your diligent input!...........:cool:

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Sounds to me like the common denominator maybe Nougat + carrier aggregation and a persons specific towers.

I think I'll stick with my flawless Nexus 6 RF performer awhile longer until it's sorted out............:D

Thanks for all your diligent input!...........:cool:
Well, we were all over the problem with our theories. We were closer than we thought. I suspect over time hollow bar at least will be a thing of the past. Dunno about some weak signal problems. I bet they are something else.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Here's a couple of Nexus forums same
issue as hollow bar. Except they get a ! Instead of hollow bar. But, the radio resets just like the Pixel does when we get hollow bar. And it does have something to do with carrier aggregation and Nougat. Some have even flashed back to Marshmallow and fixed it. We haven't heard much about it with other phones, cause not many are on Nougat yet.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/KfsIFNIP6w8

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

This is from the Nexus forum above. Hollow bar on a Nexus 6P. NOTE***Empty Triangle****

"Ben J. DITZEL*Level 1

Sadly this did not fix it for my T-Mobile 6P. It's contestant.... Every few minutes the signal loses data, then voice bars, then goes completely out to empty triangle, then regains voice, then regains LTE (with X), then data kicks in.*
Every few minutes.*
This is a mess and needless to say it wrecks battery life. I got 2 hours standby time. (just got phone back from Huawei after extensive testing and a battery replacement yesterday)... So it's not Huawei. And this only happened after updating to 7.1.1."

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

The latest posts on the Nexus forum state the February bug fix and security update has fixed the LTE connectivity problems. Has anyone here had their LTE connectivity problems go away after installing the February update?

WooDaRyaN

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my second Pixel XL with Verizon. This is my 4th phone from Verizon since getting the Note 7. Google and Verizon really dropped the ball with this device. As a devout Vanilla Android user, I was excited to get the Pixel knowing it would get all the updates from Google first and be pure android butteryness! What a nightmare this handset as been. The antenna literally turns off without warning and I have missed calls that don't show up and voicemails randomly come through days later. They just keep offering to exchange the phone. Guess I'll keep trying until I get one that works SMH...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well .. I may be swapping to Verizon soon so I can test with you guys :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The latest posts on the Nexus forum state the February bug fix and security update has fixed the LTE connectivity problems. Has anyone here had their LTE connectivity problems go away after installing the February update?

Good luck if you make the switch. You will probably be one of the many that has a positive experience with the Pixel on Verizon

Swapped over just about an hour and a half ago. I did see the "Hollow Bar" on my Pixel in the Verizon store. It seemed every-time I woke it up it would drop and come back.

I went into settings and swapped from Global to LTE/CDMA -- It hasn't dropped yet so far since changing that.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Swapped over just about an hour and a half ago. I did see the "Hollow Bar" on my Pixel in the Verizon store. It seemed every-time I woke it up it would drop and come back.

I went into settings and swapped from Global to LTE/CDMA -- It hasn't dropped yet so far since changing that.
Have you installed the February update yet?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon