Your Favorite Browser...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the Note 7 and 5, I was all-in on the Samsung browser. It was fast, had a better UX (for me) than Chrome, and offered very effective ad blocking via an add-on.

With the advent of the Pixel, I've been using Chrome, as I had used prior to my Samsung devices. I find it to be fast and of course, familiar, as most of us have used at some point. The lack of effective ad blocking really hinders my reading and interacting with pages, however. Syncing tabs has almost no value for me.

So, I went on a hunt to find a browser I like: fast, intuitive and one that natively or via extensions, blocks ads. I looked into all the likely suspects - I've done this so many times in the past 8 years or so - and decided on Firefox, which I've used in the past. I am OK with the UX. The speed and response seem OK, but the clincher for me was uBlock Origin, my blocker of choice on my laptops. An added plus for me is having text reflow via an extension. I've decided to try out Firefox as my daily driver. At the moment, it works better for me than Chrome.

There's UC, Vivaldi, Brave, Puffin, Opera variants and many others that I investigated, some like UC and Opera I've used extensively in the past. There are pros/cons for each, and like a lot of other things, we need to choose the one that fits our use case.

I was wondering what my fellow Pixel users are using for browsers, particularly ones that offer ad-blocking.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
There you go, my favorite is Lightning.
4a97ad10007e97c30e73455bdf06be7f.jpg

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I spent some time with Chrome on the Pixel this AM - what a terrible experience - ads ads and more ads. (I use Chrome with AdBlock on all mu PCs)
Thanks for these suggestions - going to give'm a try - I love this place - you people know stuff

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I use chrome some, but prefer opera. The new beta is much better than anything they had out in the past. The text wrap feature is good and much appreciated.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I use chrome some, but prefer opera. The new beta is much better than anything they had out in the past. The text wrap feature is good and much appreciated.

I'll look into Opera beta. Didn't see that.
I used Opera years back.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I spent some time with Chrome on the Pixel this AM - what a terrible experience - ads ads and more ads. (I use Chrome with AdBlock on all mu PCs)
Thanks for these suggestions - going to give'm a try - I love this place - you people know stuff

Consider trying uBlock Origin on your PC. For me, it's way better (more effective) than AdBlock/Plus.
uBlock Origin may be the singular reason I stick with FF.

And I agree. I can't stand ads. On the PC they are obnoxious. On a phone, they can be crippling to the user experience.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I loved the Samsung browser but oh well. Never have liked Chrome and it always uses too many resources. So far have veered between Opera Mini and Firefox but am not convinced and still investigating.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I tried out Opera Beta.
Nice simple design. But the ad removal is not good, IMO. In an A/B comparison with Firefox/uBlock, Opera Beta left most ads in place. uBlock removed them all.

If ads bother you, I'd suggest the Firefox/uBlock combo.

Still investigating other apps...

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried out Opera Beta.
Nice simple design. But the ad removal is not good, IMO. In an A/B comparison with Firefox/uBlock, Opera Beta left most ads in place. uBlock removed them all.

If ads bother you, I'd suggest the Firefox/uBlock combo.

Still investigating other apps...

Ok, I never even noticed the adds. Must not have made a big enough impression I guess. Unless you talking about forum sites as they have a lot, but it is what it is. Lots of choices out there anyway.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
😎 For the infamous Sam-Gs7 a None heavy 'Net navigator

Chrome does an oxon job forMe: Combined with Adblock

browser to Keep Adds out of business: In Mobile devices

chrome is the Browser of choice-Backed for top reviews

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
i'm in the same dilemna. samsung browser was great. using opera now but jesus christ i get a lot of ads, even with their ad blocker active.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I am trying out Brave for now. Opera Mini suddenly started showing a ton of ads again, and Firefox always seems slightly unstable on Android.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I just downloaded "Brave" today and thus far I can tell you it is the best browser I have ever used. It reminds me of Chrome to an extent, but has adware protection, is super fast and so far I am really loving my experience with it. Have not seen one pop up in the 4-5 hours I had installed it.