Who's Fault, Google...or Facebook?

Applejunkie66

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I can say "OK Google. Send a message" and Google offers me the choice of SMS, WhatsApp, or Hangouts, but no Facebook Messenger option.
Who is to blame? And is there a fix?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Under most circumstances where this occurs, it'd be Facebook and it has to do with app intents and how they call API's in their app. Allo also doesn't show up on that list of possibilities.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
True about Allo but I've given up on trying to get people to switch to that.

Only reason I brought it up was because I noticed that Assistant can't figure out that Allo exists (except the assistant inside of Allo, which also can't send a message through Allo). I double checked to make sure it wasn't just an issue with missing SMS permission, which Allo has but doesn't use the way we would normally think about it.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Only reason I brought it up was because I noticed that Assistant can't figure out that Allo exists (except the assistant inside of Allo, which also can't send a message through Allo). I double checked to make sure it wasn't just an issue with missing SMS permission, which Allo has but doesn't use the way we would normally think about it.

exactly. that really through me. i asked assistant in allo to respond to an allo message and it tried to send a text. how crazy is that?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others have said it is Facebook. If their API isn't set to do it then Google won't see it.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol@allo.

Poor Allo was like an afterthought that came too late that only managed to seemingly cheapen other things that Google does well.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
It would be Facebook. Realistically most software issues or missing features are due to the software developer. Android changes, its up to the developer to use the tools given.

Also, my wife loves Allo after moving from the iPhone to the Pixel, but like myself, we only use it with eachother because without proper SMS support, it makes it useless to use with other people who don't wish to change their messaging platform.

Applejunkie66

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
But it "could" be very good if Google concentrated on it. It's very aesthetically pleasing to the eyes and that's nice. But FB messenger seems to be the most powerful messaging app there is. My daughter is a sophomore at s major university 4 hours away and I love how I can send her money through FB messenger.