What are the disadvantages of Pixel from Pixel XL

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering besides screen resolution of course what would I be losing? I've had my Pixel XL for about 5 days now and just find it to be a little on the large side for me. Really enjoy the space the Regular Pixel fills. I've been thinking about returning and getting the smaller version from Verizon. I know I will have to pay their $35 re stocking fee and I'm ok with that. I know it has a smaller battery as well but with the smaller lower resolution screen I've seen both reviews and posts stating it still gets pretty good battery life. I guess I'd like to know what battery has been for those with the Pixel and any other things I may be losing before I dive into this. I really love the Pixel just not digging the size of the XL. Thanks in advance!

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is too large for you does anything else even matter?

Get the Pixel and enjoy.

Yes otherwise I wouldn't be asking. It's big but I can deal with it...if that makes sense. If I'm going to go down to 8 hours of battery life or something of that matter than I can deal with it and stay with the larger one. If I'm still able to get 10-14 hours of battery I'm good on the smaller one. Screen Res is not of that much importance to me.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes otherwise I wouldn't be asking. It's big but I can deal with it...if that makes sense. If I'm going to go down to 8 hours of battery life or something of that matter than I can deal with it and stay with the larger one. If I'm still able to get 10-14 hours of battery I'm good on the smaller one. Screen Res is not of that much importance to me.

The only differences of which I am aware besides physical size are the screen resolution, battery size, and charger (that being a recent revelation).

Screen resolution difference isn't something you'll likely notice unless you plan on using Daydream VR. 1440P will have less of a 'window screen' effect than 1080P.

Battery size is smaller, but as it's driving a smaller, lower resolution display, should be similar. Actual difference may depend on your personal usage profile, but it won't be a dramatic amount.

Charger is slightly lower output, but should charge the device in similar time to what the XL manages.

ajamudc

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Pixel XL and my wife has the Pixel. Honestly, other than size, I haven't noticed any other differences. Even the screen resolution doesn't stand out due to the smaller size of the Pixel. Both have the same smooth performance and great camera.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I think if you can handle it, stick with the Pixel XL. I don't think it's that big for a 5.5" phone and it's definitely usable with one hand. However, that is subjective, and it also depends on what phone you came from prior to getting the Pixel. I had the Note 7, so the Pixel XL size is fine for me. Going back to the regular Pixel would be too small, especially after using a 5.5"-5.7" screen for so long. What phone did you ave prior?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got the smaller Pixel because just wanted a smaller phone .
I have been using the 6p and Nexus 6 most of this year.I don't have an issue using the smaller screen size from using those phones.
Currently my battery stats are at 46% phones been on 24 hrs also SOT just over 3 hrs, showing Approx. 20 hrs left ,which that depends on how my usage may change going into today. For me I'm glad I went with the smaller Pixel, but it all just depends on what you want .
Have you been to a store where you can play with the Pixel while having your Pixel XL with you ,to compare with yet ?

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I went to best buy and played the same NASA 4k video side by side on the pixel and xl. You can tell the difference.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You have seen the differences. I think the most differentiating point is VR. If you think you are going to use VR, I'd stick with the bigger form factor. If not, the resolution and battery are likely close to a wash. Also read the AC reviews, it looks like several of them went with the Pixel over the XL because they liked the smaller form factor.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The only differences of which I am aware besides physical size are the screen resolution, battery size, and charger (that being a recent revelation).

Screen resolution difference isn't something you'll likely notice unless you plan on using Daydream VR. 1440P will have less of a 'window screen' effect than 1080P.

Battery size is smaller, but as it's driving a smaller, lower resolution display, should be similar. Actual difference may depend on your personal usage profile, but it won't be a dramatic amount.

Charger is slightly lower output, but should charge the device in similar time to what the XL manages.

They come with the same exact 18W capable charger and 6ft USB 2.0 Type C cable (60W capable so it can even be used to charge most MBP, need a 100W capable cable to use Apple's fastest charger but I digress). AFAIK the difference isn't the charger, which is a very good one (and very much worth $35 with that quality cord if anyone needs a spare, not gonna do much better/cheaper going aftermarket)... The smaller Pixel itself is limited to 15W charging, internally, presumably over thermal concerns.

The larger Pixel XL can decide between charging at 3A - 5V (15W) or 2A - 9V (18W) when the battery is really low, whereas the smaller Pixel will only select the former. It's all still part of the USB PD spec, and once past 50% charge they both slow way down anyway. In the end it doesn't make much of a difference, but it's worth being accurate about what's really going on. At best it makes it slightly easier to find an optimal car charger for the smaller phone (there's a few cheap but well vetted ones that do 15W max, Nekteck's particularly).

Either way both phones still charge way faster than non-QC phones (which I guess are rare at this point), those would top out at 7.5-10W, and they both support USB PD fully and come with spec compliant chargers (unlike the Nexus 5X and 6P which featured some oddities and could be finicky about charger, I wouldn't use theirs with a Pixel btw).

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I think if you can handle it, stick with the Pixel XL. I don't think it's that big for a 5.5" phone and it's definitely usable with one hand. However, that is subjective, and it also depends on what phone you came from prior to getting the Pixel. I had the Note 7, so the Pixel XL size is fine for me. Going back to the regular Pixel would be too small, especially after using a 5.5"-5.7" screen for so long. What phone did you ave prior?

I had a Note 7 which I returned in the first recall and traded for a regular iPhone 7. I got along great with the iPhone 7 and it was much more comfortable to handle. I don't miss the screen size as I have the laptop or my iPad Pro for viewing video or other web content on a larger screen. For me the Note 7 just seemed way more comfortable to hold even though they are roughly the same size device. I'm not sure if it was the rounded edges or what.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I've found in dozens of comparisons, reviews, and my own experience the standard Pixel definitely gets less battery life. Outside of that, I think the 1080P screen is actually quite beautiful.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm totally satisfied on the battery life of my Pixel. Left the house yesterday took it to work sent a bunch of texts, did a fair amount of browsing, made some calls . I wouldn't say I was overly using it but I would say I was doing what I would normally do in most instances. Left the house at 6:00 a.m. for work at 100% came home at 5:00 and had 78% of my batter left. I don't leave anything running in the back. No face book, I keep my location services off most of the time as I find that useless in many instances. I am sure once I have a lot more apps installed the mileage is going to change

We will see how it behaves today but so far this is better then my last phone

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm totally satisfied on the battery life of my Pixel. Left the house yesterday took it to work sent a bunch of texts, did a fair amount of browsing, made some calls . I wouldn't say I was overly using it but I would say I was doing what I would normally do in most instances. Left the house at 6:00 a.m. for work at 100% came home at 5:00 and had 78% of my batter left. I don't leave anything running in the back. No face book, I keep my location services off most of the time as I find that useless in many instances. I am sure once I have a lot more apps installed the mileage is going to change

We will see how it behaves today but so far this is better then my last phone

Wow, that's very solid.

bytheriver

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, I received my pixel xl today...and dang this thing is thick. Software wise A+, hardware wise C-. It's made well , fingerprint sensor is fast, but the only way to shut off screen is power button? It's so awkward.... the way they did the moto z phones with the fingerprint scanner on front and it will also turn off screen was more intuitive...

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, I received my pixel xl today...and dang this thing is thick. Software wise A+, hardware wise C-. It's made well , fingerprint sensor is fast, but the only way to shut off screen is power button? It's so awkward.... the way they did the moto z phones with the fingerprint scanner on front and it will also turn off screen was more intuitive...
Which is why I returned the phone. No Always on display, no raise to wake.... Nothing. It's not even like you can touch the home button on the front to wake the screen bc there is none!!! All that chin space and they put on screen nav buttons. Makes zero sense to me. Put something there! Poor design. Plus all the volume rockers and the power button is ALL on the right side, WHY