Why Does Bootloader Lock Matter?

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So as I consider the choice between Verizion and Google versions, and still sitting on a business account with 2 year upgrades and subsidies, I am nervous about which to go with and I dont trust verizon to support updates when O comes around.

However, I dont want to root my phone. And I dont want to do ROMs. I just want the updates when the non verizon ones get them. As far as I can tell, the OTA files Google posts are good for both versions, and I dont need an unlocked bootloader to do those manually.

So my question is this, do I really care about a bootloader unlock given the above? Or am I missing something/wrong about something? Can I flash the OTA files without bootloader unlock on a verizon version? Does this mean no matter what shenanigans verizon pulls, I can stay current and get O with everyone elase? If this is all true, why all the hate on the verizon version?

Preferably, no guesses. Just facts please.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Bootloaders unlocked allows you to root and install custom ROMs.
You cannot install OTAs once your device is rooted. You have to manually flash the OTA image file.

Until the first updates comes out, Pixel owners will have to wait and see how that is handled. VZW is slow for updates but according to sources, updates will be rolled out at the same time as google updates.

Unlocking boot loader isn't need for you but is recommend if you wanted to flash OTA images. It's not needed but it will slow you to make a Full backup in case if there is an issue and then you can recovery everything and not start over fresh like a factory reset.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So if Verizon decides to change their mind I can just flash the OTA without an unlocked boot loader anyways. Correct?

I don't mind eating a reset if need be since I back everything up but I just don't want to be stuck on an old OS later because Verizon goes back on their word.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Was really hoping an editor or writer would wiegh in here since the ac review basically said you are at Verizon's mercy.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've read every forum I can find on this topic, I don't much care about a bootloader but I was concerned about being handicapped by having the Verizon variant.. Over and over I've read that Verizon is not going to interfere with updates and my phone was updated yesterday (sooner than many of the Google store devices) - so I'm not worried.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So if Verizon decides to change their mind I can just flash the OTA without an unlocked boot loader anyways. Correct?

I don't mind eating a reset if need be since I back everything up but I just don't want to be stuck on an old OS later because Verizon goes back on their word.

Yes, you would just need to follow the directions on the Google developers website.