I'm really confused about this camera...

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd say keep HDR+ turned on either fully or in "auto" unless you specifically want to turn it off for a specific scenario.

You will usually end up with a more pleasing shot although do expect some delay in processing the image in HDR+ On mode.

Google did very well with HDR+ and I find it to be one of the best implementations of high-dynamic range processing on any phone out there, right up with Apple's also-excellent HDR processing.

I do agree that the camera should retain the last settings used, though I can see why Google opted for that. HDR+ is great. Really great.

Agreed, and something that's not spoken upon much is how well the flash works with either HDR+ mode to create these really natural looking exposures. And, the Pixel almost always chooses the right time to flash when you select auto flash. It didn't do quite as well on the Nexus 6P. Props to Google for giving us a phone that's classy and capable. It just works! LOL!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, and something that's not spoken upon much is how well the flash works with either HDR+ mode to create these really natural looking exposures. And, the Pixel almost always chooses the right time to flash when you select auto flash. It didn't do quite as well on the Nexus 6P. Props to Google for giving us a phone that's classy and capable. It just works! LOL!
Well, it is Google's iPhone after all. xD

I mean that in a positive light, because stuff in the Pixel just works 99% of the time. Not much fiddling you have to do.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is Google's iPhone after all. xD

I mean that in a positive light, because stuff in the Pixel just works 99% of the time. Not much fiddling you have to do.

That's very true about the fiddling. You can set it and forget it. Unfortunately, hardcore Android enthusiasts have ADD. They are notorious tinkerers and fiddlers who get grandiose feelings of self worth from being able to make their phones ”my own!”. The truth is you can tinker with the Pixel too, but you're going to go from it just works to, ”oh wait, it doesn't work as good as it did before, but I've made it my own!”. LOL.

I love not having freeze ups, stutter, weird split screen anomalies, sudden native app crashes for no apparent reason, and daily manual resets to get the OS running smooth again.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Like others here, I have yet to take a bad picture. I really don't take that many pictures with my phone, but it's really nice to know I have the capability to take very decent pictures when I have to. This one was taken just before the sun went down. Look at how well it handled the dynamic range.

69.jpg

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
hpilot said:
Like others here, I have yet to take a bad picture. I really don't take that many pictures with my phone, but it's really nice to know I have the capability to take very decent pictures when I have to. This one was taken just before the sun went down. Look at how well it handled the dynamic range.

Very eye-pleasing. Looks a tad bit oversaturated, IMO.