Let's talk about this screen

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen much discussion on the screen in forums, but I've seen reviews (specifically AC and DL) that comment that it's excellent and competes pretty against a Samsung display. For me, however, that is not the case.

I have put my new pixel (small) up against a 5x, a note 5, and a gs7. There is a subtle green tinge to my pixel that isn't present on any of the other phones. This gets noticeably worse if I look at the screen from even a small angle off center in any direction. Droid life specifically mentions that the grays are accurate on the pixel, which serves as an indicator of its color accuracy overall, but the funny thing is that grays the worst offender for me. I used the dark gray you find in chrome when you close all tabs to compare, and it's incredibly green in comparison. It just looks really dirty next to other screens, like an old amoled display from 2012.

It gets worse from there. When I'm looking at text there is a strange halo effect around it. This is so bad with some fonts that it gives me a headache just to look at it. It almost looks like an oversharpened effect. My friend went into development settings and turned on high contrast, and that's exactly what it looks like on my phone, except all the time.

I love this phone otherwise so far, but if this is what the screen is like it's a deal breaker. Does anyone else have any of these problems, or do you think the display is as great as the reviews say?

Just to throw this in, my entire phone just froze for about 3 minutes while writing this, got extremely hot, and rebooted on its own. I had to retype this all. Not cool...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The color accuracy is only accurate when you turn it on sRGB - have you done that?

Just to throw this in, my entire phone just froze for about 3 minutes while writing this, got extremely hot, and rebooted on its own. I had to retype this all. Not cool...

This, along with the halo seem to be indications that you may have a defective unit.

As far as the actual quality of the display, it's very on par with the Nexus 6P, which puts it above average but below the S7 Edge, etc.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes you get a bad panel. You need to compare yours to another, or just send it back as defective. It happens. There is always a chance you get a panel that is too pink or too green.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The color accuracy is only accurate when you turn it on sRGB - have you done that?

This, along with the halo seem to be indications that you may have a defective unit.

As far as the actual quality of the display, it's very on par with the Nexus 6P, which puts it above average but below the S7 Edge, etc.

I just found and turned on sRBG and it makes my panel EXTREMELY warm, like a sepia tone or that experiential night mode Google implemented. It looks way worse. Maybe this is an indicator of my panel being defective if that normally improves the screen.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes you get a bad panel. You need to compare yours to another, or just send it back as defective. It happens. There is always a chance you get a panel that is too pink or too green.

Yea, I'll have to go to a Verizon store later and check out the display units. My eyes feel so stressed from looking at this screen. It's very strange.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just found and turned on sRBG and it makes my panel EXTREMELY warm, like a sepia tone or that experiential night mode Google implemented. It looks way worse. Maybe this is an indicator of my panel being defective if that normally improves the screen.

Yeah, that sounds not ok. Good news is you can hit up Google people through the support menu in settings, but not sure if they can help initiate a replacement for you.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that sounds not ok. Good news is you can hit up Google people through the support menu in settings, but not sure if they can help initiate a replacement for you.

Yea, I actually had forgotten about the support in settings. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to check out the display units at Verizon today or tomorrow and compare before I reach out to Google.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital