hotspot tethering stopped working if I plug in a non-Verizon(foreign or AT&T) SIM card.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
My Pixel XL was purchased from the local Verizon corporate store.

I had no problems using AT&T and foreign SIM cards, as well as hotspot tethering since day 1. Didn't even need to make any APN changes.

However, since last week(Friday or Thursday), hotsopt tethering suddenly stopped working unless I put the Verizon SIM card inside. With foreign and AT&T SIM cards inside, the hotspot tethering would not turn on no matter what I tried. Couldnt' even get it to work with with hotspot apps from the Play Store. The same foreign and AT&T SIM cards worked perfectly with hotspot if I put them in my old Nexus 5X phone or an unlocked Axon 7. If I take them out and plug them into my Verizon Pixel, then it stops working again. :(

I was under the impression that Verizon would not pull stunts like this... but have they changed their mind?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most carriers now charge for tethering - you have to buy a higher-priced or additional plan. So evidently you have a tethering plan on Verizon, but not on the other carriers.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Most carriers now charge for tethering - you have to buy a higher-priced or additional plan. So evidently you have a tethering plan on Verizon, but not on the other carriers.

so you're saying my Pixel is now locked to Verizon only?

I'm talking about using AT&T and foreign(UK) SIM cards that ALLOW hotspot tethering.
Like I said, those SIM cards work fine in my Nexus 5X with hotspot tethering.
If I take the SIM cards out of the Nexus 5X and plug them into my Verizon Pixel XL ,
then hotspot tethering no longer works. (worked fine before, until last week)

Edit... Just took the Project Fi SIM card from my wife's old Nexus 6P(originally
purchased from the Project Fi online store) and plugged it into my Verizon Pixel XL.
Hotspot tethering also no longer works. (voice/text still works) Actually, it just
refuses to turn on the hotspot.. It did work the same week that I bought the
Pixel XL from Verizon because I wanted to verify that Project Fi SIM worked
in Verizon Pixel XL phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Due to how the settings and whatnot get configured when the device is powered on with a Verizon SIM, you may have to do a factory reset between SIM cards rather than just swapping them.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Due to how the settings and whatnot get configured when the device is powered on with a Verizon SIM, you may have to do a factory reset between SIM cards rather than just swapping them.

That seems a bit extreme... Try updating your profile first and/or rebooting between swaps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad