11-18-2016 11:33 AM
66 123
tools
    I know it's early and some folks are still waiting to get their Pixels, but what the hell!! This is what I would like to see in the next version of the Pixel

- 4K AMOLED Screen for Pixel XL || QHD for Pixel
    - Screen Size update: Pixel - 5.2" || Pixel XL - 5.7"
    - Storage Options: 64GB || 256GB
    - IP68 Dust/Water Resistance
    - Better DAC/Amplifier
    - Keep the Headphone Jack
    - Stereo Speakers
    - Use the "Chin" space (Maybe put in a "G" button that can act as a fingerprint sensor/dedicated Google assistant button, this way I can unlock my phone from both sides)
    - Camera: Increase pixel size for better low light performance, fix the lens flare problem, dual lens setup for optical zoom or monochrome
    DJM626 likes this.
    11-14-2016 08:40 PM
    Truthfully, nothing, I'm over upgrading every year. My Nexus 5 lasted me 3 years and that Pixel better do at least a solid 2... Selfishly, I'd love for them to commit back to Qi charging and add weather resistance, tho I still wouldn't trust the later if I could help it.

On a slightly less likely note I wouldn't mind seeing a 64GB base model or a thicker device if it meant a larger battery. Don't care about the chin, about the same as my old Nexus, if anything I'd prefer a shorter top bezel... Maybe by moving the headphone jack to the bottom.

Always wanted a bottom headphone jack, all of my phones have had it atop. Bottom fits better with how I slip my phone in my pocket.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-14-2016 11:39 PM
    Why, oh why do posts like these come out right after the current version of the phone gets released? Enjoy the current phone for a bit.
    talon1189 likes this.
    11-14-2016 11:51 PM
    Why, oh why do posts like these come out right after the current version of the phone gets released? Enjoy the current phone for a bit.
    No. Let's talk about what we want for the 2018 Pixel as well. I want solar charging, two headphone jacks (just to rub it in), both USB C and micro USB port, quadruple SIM, and underwater wireless charging.
    ajb1965 and Amy726 like this.
    11-15-2016 12:59 AM
    Current methods for wireless charging would actually work fine underwater if the charger was properly sealed, just saying... Might even help with the heat dissipation!
    SteelGator likes this.
    11-15-2016 01:49 AM
    No. Let's talk about what we want for the 2018 Pixel as well. I want solar charging, two headphone jacks (just to rub it in), both USB C and micro USB port, quadruple SIM, and underwater wireless charging.
    LOL
    11-15-2016 02:41 AM
    How about Google producing more than 5,000 units, so you can actually get one? If Google wants to compete with Apple, it really needs to figure out the actual production thing. It is absurd that here we are, about a month after orders were opened up, and they are still out of stock on pretty much all variations of the XL and have been almost since launch day. I finally broke down and ordered a black XL 32GB a few days ago (which is now out of stock again) and it isn't scheduled to be delivered until mid-December.

I know it is a bit off-topic, but this aspect of the consumer business is really a major weakness for the company.
    ajb1965 and Impulses like this.
    11-15-2016 03:56 AM
    How about Google producing more than 5,000 units, so you can actually get one? If Google wants to compete with Apple, it really needs to figure out the actual production thing. It is absurd that here we are, about a month after orders were opened up, and they are still out of stock on pretty much all variations of the XL and have been almost since launch day. I finally broke down and ordered a black XL 32GB a few days ago (which is now out of stock again) and it isn't scheduled to be delivered until mid-December.

I know it is a bit off-topic, but this aspect of the consumer business is really a major weakness for the company.
    Consider yourself lucky! With all the 4G connectivity and dropped calls issues that have not been resolved by the time you get yours it will either be (A)Fixed or (B) New and better units might available that the early adapters don't have
    11-15-2016 05:24 AM
    I've only come across a few things that could use a change on the 5" pixel:

- Move the touch buttons onto the chin below the screen (Samsung-style)
    - Make the back glass harder to scratch
    - Make the phone a little more grippy when holding it
    - Get rid of the taper and make it the same thickness as the top of the phone (would allow for a bigger battery)
    - A microSD card slot would be nice

Waterproofing wouldn't hurt, but to me, it's not a big deal. Wireless charging... meh, I'd probably never use it. Higher res screen wouldn't hurt and neither would camera improvements, but neither is really necessary. The phone camera is just for when I need a picture of something. When I want to take a picture I care about, the DSLR comes out.
    11-15-2016 08:29 AM
    For the regular pixel:

IP68
    Size (larger screen-to-phone ratio, so either same size and 5.1" screen or 5" screen and slightly shorter)
    Availability (agree that "out of stock" or a 3-5 week lead time is a ridiculous situation)
    Bigger battery (happy to have a slightly thicker device for this)
    More realistic price
    libra89 likes this.
    11-15-2016 09:06 AM
    It's so funny how nobody cared about water resistance until Samsung and apple started calling it a feature...now the pixel is inferior for not having something that most people will never need.
    11-15-2016 09:23 AM
    I know it's early and some folks are still waiting to get their Pixels, but what the hell!! This is what I would like to see in the next version of the Pixel

- 4K AMOLED Screen for Pixel XL || QHD for Pixel
    - Screen Size update: Pixel - 5.2" || Pixel XL - 5.7"
    - Storage Options: 64GB || 256GB
    - IP68 Dust/Water Resistance
    - Better DAC/Amplifier
    - Keep the Headphone Jack
    - Stereo Speakers
    - Use the "Chin" space (Maybe put in a "G" button that can act as a fingerprint sensor/dedicated Google assistant button, this way I can unlock my phone from both sides)
    - Camera: Increase pixel size for better low light performance, fix the lens flare problem, dual lens setup for optical zoom or monochrome
    Looks like you would love the samsung galaxy Note 8 or S8.....based on what you want
    11-15-2016 09:25 AM
    For the regular pixel:

IP68
    Size (larger screen-to-phone ratio, so either same size and 5.1" screen or 5" screen and slightly shorter)
    Availability (agree that "out of stock" or a 3-5 week lead time is a ridiculous situation)
    Bigger battery (happy to have a slightly thicker device for this)
    More realistic price
    Don't expect a "more realistic price", because the current price is competitive with iPhone and Samsung. That's not to say that they aren't overpriced as well, but matching prices with Apple and Samsung is realistic for the quality phone that you get.

I am perfectly happy with the current Pixel, though I have only had it for a week. The only thing they could "fix" like others have said is the supply issue so more people could see what a great phone it is, and make sure it is available through carriers (though I would never buy one from a carrier). The water resistance would be nice for accidents, but I wouldn't be purposefully taking the phone swimming or anything like that.
    11-15-2016 09:46 AM
    • Stereo front firing speakers
    • Hydrogen Fuel Cell (week-long battery life with 10 second refuel, anyone?)
    • 4k display for enhanced VR (only if substantially enhanced battery life and heat dissipation are feasible; otherwise retain QuadHD)
    • Screen as a module (borrowing the Project Ara idea for just this one component, meaning it would be easily user-replaceable if damaged)
    11-15-2016 10:17 AM
    Next is going to be the bezeless screen apple is going to introduce next year . People will be all over that one next and the looks of Android devices will no longer be acceptable because of that lol
    11-15-2016 10:57 AM
    It's so funny how nobody cared about water resistance until Samsung and apple started calling it a feature...now the pixel is inferior for not having something that most people will never need.
    But that's how new features become the new norms. Someone has to introduce them. Heck, nobody cared about 5" screens once upon a time.

Sony introduced IP68 years before Apple and Samsung IIRC, but now all major flagships have it so it's kinda odd that Google "ran out of time" to include it.And having known plenty of people who dropped phone in toilets, pools or bathtubs, I'd argue that IP68 is actually a very useful feature for a lot of people. Yes, most people will never need it. But the day you do need it you sure are glad to have IP68 rather than a dead phone.
    11-15-2016 11:06 AM
    Next is going to be the bezeless screen apple is going to introduce next year . People will be all over that one next and the looks of Android devices will no longer be acceptable because of that lol
    As much as I love the concept of a bezel-less screen, in practice it sounds like a horrible idea unless there's very well thought out software to intelligently negate any contacts on the screen that from the user simply holding it. Now if someone were to do a screen where the bottom and top 1/2" or so were not touch-responsive, but still gave screen real estate, I could see a benefit.
    11-15-2016 11:10 AM
    As much as I love the concept of a bezel-less screen, in practice it sounds like a horrible idea unless there's very well thought out software to intelligently negate any contacts on the screen that from the user simply holding it. Now if someone were to do a screen where the bottom and top 1/2" or so were not touch-responsive, but still gave screen real estate, I could see a benefit.
    Agreed. That's one of those features that stretches across the line from "useful new feature" to "we did this just because we could"
    11-15-2016 11:12 AM

You do realize Apple has this exact same issue right? With people not getting their iPhone for 2+ months if they didn't pre-order right away?

I get being upset about not getting one but I truly don't understand why everyone thinks Apple somehow is able to get the phone into everyone's hands on release day when that is 110% false.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-15-2016 11:29 AM
    Wireless charging and improved water resistance are really the only thing this pixel lacks for me, so add that and I would be happy.
    11-15-2016 11:40 AM
    I'm with you on this Impulses. Phones are now so good that, since getting my Pixel, I have no desire to upgrade every 6 months anymore.

I kept my 5X for a year and almost didn't upgrade from that. Apart from my periodic indecision about which phone size to carry (I always come back to 5" territory) I can see the Pixel will be a keeper for a long time to come.
    Impulses likes this.
    11-15-2016 11:46 AM
    I want to see Google have plenty of stock at launch so there isn't another debacle like this launch. Also want to see google hire a better company to do the logistics side of things
    11-15-2016 12:10 PM
    I would personally like a bigger chin since my fat fingers require more space to hold the phone

Jk. Less chin, 64gb version, and waterproof. I don't care so much about SD Card support.
    The glass has grown on me but I'd prefer a solid back metal phone and a truly truly black version like the Note7 or Iphone 7.
    11-15-2016 01:10 PM
    Agree. Back when I had the Xperia z and z1 and touted the IP ratings my uncle would scoff. Now he says if the pixel had ip68 he wouldn't hesitate to get it lol
    11-15-2016 04:34 PM
    Some sort of Always On Display would be nice.
    11-15-2016 04:36 PM
66 123