Anyone using Tasker on their Pixel?

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I've used Llama for years, and every time I get a new phone, I transfer all my settings and tasks. This time however I've noticed one of them not working, and it's the one that enabled/disables WiFi when I enter/leave my home cell area.

I'm considering trying Tasker for this, but before I buy it, I'm wondering if anyone else has used it for cell tower location-based tasks. I'm not sure if it can even do this.

Is anyone here using something like this (or a different app altogether) on their Pixel?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if it can even do this.

It can. I don't use it due to there is a tower around me that I haven't been able to pick up when setting Tasker up. My phone occasionally picks that tower up and drops my wifi connection.

I have a wifi profile set, but what I do instead is set it for about the time I usually get home from work.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
It can. I don't use it due to there is a tower around me that I haven't been able to pick up when setting Tasker up. My phone occasionally picks that tower up and drops my wifi connection.

I have a wifi profile set, but what I do instead is set it for about the time I usually get home from work.

Hmm, interesting.

I usually have good luck with the cell tower method because I live in a small town that's in the middle of a rural area (basically farmland). There's not much in town, so either I'm here (and at home) or I'm far away.

I think I'll try Tasker and see how it works, but I'll wait until I'm at home tonight so I can test it right away.

Thanks for the reply!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, interesting.

I usually have good luck with the cell tower method because I live in a small town that's in the middle of a rural area (basically farmland). There's not much in town, so either I'm here (and at home) or I'm far away.

I think I'll try Tasker and see how it works, but I'll wait until I'm at home tonight so I can test it right away.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm in a smaller town too, but I think the tower that I pick up is on the far end of town that the cell occasionally gets a piece of. The idea is a good one, but the time frames work for me as well.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I do use tasker on my pixel, but not for cell tower location. I could certainly try something and report back though. Did you try to recreate the Llama action? It is possible that the wifi toggle changed perhaps between Android versions, and you just need a do-over.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I do use tasker on my pixel, but not for cell tower location. I could certainly try something and report back though. Did you try to recreate the Llama action? It is possible that the wifi toggle changed perhaps between Android versions, and you just need a do-over.

Not a bad idea. I had it re-learn my home area, but I didn't try recreating the task. I'll try that next.

I got side-tracked last night because my wife got a flat tire, so I didn't get to try Tasker.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
So, Tasker works, but it took some fiddling. I ended up having to enable "new cell API" to get a usable cell tower ID. I transferred my other import Llama task to Tasker and froze Llama because I don't want to have two task routines running.

Thanks for the tips!

TavisB

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Fi so I keep wifi on :). I have not noticed that leaving wifi on is a battery drain in the past, even with my S5.

I use Tasker to mute my volume (and some other stuff) when I got to work, not switch wifi.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Phones typically suspend Wi-Fi (electrically) even if you leave it on, at least until the OS decided to scan for hotspots or use it for location services. I stopped trying to micro manage mine quite a while ago...

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. Leaving WiFi on on my S5 seemed to drain the battery, but maybe that was because we have several closed WiFi networks at work that I never connect to. I'm wondering if it kept seeing those and trying to connect or something.