How much better is the screen on the Pixel XL?

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have decided that I need to get a Pixel. I normally would not bat an eyelash about which one to buy due to the higher resolution screen because specs.

The fact that the XL is so back ordered has me rethinking this a bit since I have time to actually not make a knee-jerk move for once. Do I really need to go with a bigger phone than my G4?

For those that have played with them side by side, with the pixel density as it is, is it that big of a difference?

rslifkin

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I haven't gotten to play with an XL, but I can say the screen on the 5" Pixel is certainly not lacking in resolution. I have pretty good eyes and even holding the phone as close to my face as I can while still being able to focus on it, I can't count the pixels on the display.

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Go to best buy or where ever you can test both side by side. YouTube search a 4k video and play them. You will see a difference.

Kaenon11

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I had both and used them each for 3-4 days before making my final decision.

The XL screen was a big factor for why I kept it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Both displays are excellent. You will see a difference between them when looking at them side by side, but it's not something you'll be thinking "gee, the XL sure looked a lot better" when walking down the street with the normal Pixel. That said, if you have any interest at all in the VR, the XL's screen will provide better field of view and less of the screen door effect.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks. I was able to find a store that had both in stock and powered up.

The XL does not seem to be all that big. I am going to stick with my XL order and just hope for an early delivery. I don't think I will use the VR stuff that much, but there is always a chance. I am not going to short change myself just for instant gratification.

Side note, I love when the guy at the Authorized Verizon Dealer totally tries to BS his way through specs.

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an galaxy s4 I was very nervous about getting the XL. But after getting it the size felt pretty damn good.

I had to go back to my S4 for a day while my screen protector cured and couldn't believe how tiny it was. Can never go back to a 5 inch screen.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an galaxy s4 I was very nervous about getting the XL. But after getting it the size felt pretty damn good.

I had to go back to my S4 for a day while my screen protector cured and couldn't believe how tiny it was. Can never go back to a 5 inch screen.

I know what you mean. I use my original Moto X as a media player for the gym and it feels like a toy.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Now that my phone has finally arrived, I can say that Jeremy8000 is totally correct about VR. Even on the XL, there noticeable pixels in VR. I can only imagine it is worse with the Pixel.

That being said, I really enjoyed the hour I spent messing around with Daydream last night.

Last edited:

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Ow that my phone has finally arrived, I can say that Jerwmy8000 is totally correct about VR. Even on the XL, there noticeable pixels in VR. I can only imagine it is worse with the Pixel.

That being said, I really enjoyed the hour I spent messing around with Daydream last night.

The xl is worth it for the daydream but I wonder how much I'll even use it in the next few months.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The xl is worth it for the daydream but I wonder how much I'll even use it in the next few months.

I've had my Daydream for about 6 weeks now, and while the novelty has worn off such that I'm no longer seeking any excuse (app, etc) to play around with it, I do still find it worthwhile and pick it up at least a couple of times per week.

From a gaming perspective, the initial releases were impressive enough that I'm very much looking forward to what will release in the coming months as developers have more time to create deeper, more engaging titles.

Currently, the single best thing about Daydream for me, which would have warranted the retail even had I not received it for free, is the experience for watching movies on long flights. Admittedly, I probably get a lot of strange looks from people, and have missed in-flight refreshments, but it's a very relaxing way to pass the time. While the Pixel XL gets very warm, I have yet to have it heat to a point of getting a thermal alert and only burn about 20% of battery per hour on movies, so find it perfectly viable for that purpose (though I do always travel with a battery pack, just in case).

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have decided that I need to get a Pixel. I normally would not bat an eyelash about which one to buy due to the higher resolution screen because specs.

The fact that the XL is so back ordered has me rethinking this a bit since I have time to actually not make a knee-jerk move for once. Do I really need to go with a bigger phone than my G4?

For those that have played with them side by side, with the pixel density as it is, is it that big of a difference?

Well, I won't talk you out of wanting the pixel or pixel XL. I got one and have been nothing but dissapointed. Remember that even though the XL screen has a higher resolution, you wont notice the difference because the smaller pixel resolution is packed into a smaller screen. If a beautiful, vibrant, gorgeous screen means a lot to you. Get an S7 edge or axon 7. Better screens, better phones.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

When holding them side by side, in my opinion it's fairly difficult to tell the difference. Both devices are very clear. No issue with resolution. The only time where the XL will really be of use is when it's being used in VR headsets.

Some may say there is a difference but my early 20's eyes can't see a difference lol

A droid a day, keep the apple away.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
From my experience with using different phones with different resolutions, I can never tell the difference when watching a movie or playing a game, but the difference in resolution is most noticeable when reading small text.