fingerprint sensor

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered my pixel and will be leaving my note 4. I never used the fingerprint sensor on the note 4 because it was hit or miss plus the awkward swipe that was required. Seems like most phones have the sensor on the front rather than the back. Do you lay your phone facedown so you can activate it with the sensor easier when picking it up? Just wondering if most people prefer a front or back fingerprint sensor?

droidiac13

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Why put it face down if you still have to pick it up after activating it? I leave mine face up which I can then hit the power button to wake it if I don't want to pick it up. If I'm going to pick it up, my finger hits the sensor and, presto! It's up and running.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, the fingerprint of my Samsung Galaxy S6 is kind of sometimes yes and sometimes don't. But the fingerprint of my Pixel XL is a always YES. You pick the phone any way you want it and then put your index finger ( right or left hand don't remember right now if you have a choice here, but I use my index finger at my right hand ) and that's it. Fast, reliable, always a YES. Really a great fingerprint sensor at the Pixel.

Meatloaf2185

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
i have my fingerprint set for my index when using it regular 90 percent of the time, and when on the desk i set my middle finger to slide under to unlock. 98 percent accuracy and learning on this phone. no problems with it whatsoever.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Are gestures useful for the fingerprint sensor?

On the whole, yes - it's great, particularly on the Pixel XL where the top of the screen is a tougher reach 1-handed, when you want to bring down notifications. Though I've had a few times where a slight movement has unintentionally triggered the same.

FPS has never failed me, though. When you set it up, it has you position the finger several (5?) times - if you press the front, sides, and tip, it'll never miss. You can also learn multiple fingertips (I've done left and right index and middle - not sure if there's a limit).

Hmm... Anyone know if you can learn separate fingerprint to trigger guest mode for someone?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The FP scanner is pretty awesome. So far I have had no fails. I just pick up, place, and phone unlocks.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I admit to being amazed at the fingerprint sensor in my Pixel XL, after considerable reservations prior to receiving the phone. In two and a half weeks of steady use of the XL the sensor has only failed to unlock the phone once - and I'd picked it up really awkwardly so in that case it was for sure the user's fault.

My reservations were because I've never used an Android phone with a sensor before. We have iPhone 6 and 6 Plus at work and their sensors are pretty good but far from 100 percent; the boss actually doesn't use his anymore, prefers to enter a PIN. So I was nervous about the Pixel XL fingerprint sensor. I need not have been. Also, the placement on the back works very well for me, and I have the phone in a thick leather wallet but unlocking is never impaired.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
My XL sensor hasn't failed, but I have seen several instances where I'm sitting at home, pick up the phone, finger on the sensor, and a screen comes up that says, "for extra security, enter your PIN". It's a legit requester, I purposely didn't enter the correct PIN the first time just to make sure it wasn't some malware. Now it seems to do it about 1/10 unlocks, at home, at work, on the road, doesn't seem to matter.