Should I purchase a Google Pixel via Google Financing?

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I had bought a google pixel XL from Best Buy last month. I have a s7 edge now, and I did like the pixel XL but it was way too large for me. Even though it had the same screen size as the s7 edge, the bezels were way too chunky and difficult for me to use. I did love the phone, and now I am thinking about getting the regular pixel and financing it through google so I don't have to lay out $600+.

Are most people financing through Google or just buying outright? Can you pay it off in full at any point to resell?

has there been an update yet to include double tap to wake or raise to wake? That was one thing that really steered me away from the pixel. When the phone is on a table you have to physically pick it up to turn the screen on.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Financing through Google should be fine. You have 24 months of 0% apr, so plenty of time. Also if you go to Best Buy and use their Best Buy credit card, you will have 18 months of 0 % apr.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Financing through Google should be fine. You have 24 months of 0% apr, so plenty of time. Also if you go to Best Buy and use their Best Buy credit card, you will have 18 months of 0 % apr.

I rather not get a BB CC! Then I will use it for too many things lol.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Financing through Google you can pay it off in advance with no problem. If the cost would be manageable to pay up front, though, give consideration to buying it with a credit card (and just immediately paying it off) if your card issuer offers warranty extensions. I bought mine through AMEX and effectively have a free 2nd year of warranty through them.

As to lift to wake.... Gravity will do that for you. I think the paid version also adds other options like double-tap.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Financing through Google you can pay it off in advance with no problem. If the cost would be manageable to pay up front, though, give consideration to buying it with a credit card (and just immediately paying it off) if your card issuer offers warranty extensions. I bought mine through AMEX and effectively have a free 2nd year of warranty through them.

As to lift to wake.... Gravity will do that for you. I think the paid version also adds other options like double-tap.

Yeah I was thinking of doing a balance transfer with a credit card for 0% but that is only for 12 months. So the monthly would be much higher. I just rather not lose $650 right away from my account in case I need it for other things ya know.

As far as Gravity, I heard of that app I just wanted something baked into Nougat. I know Gravity uses a signifcant amount of battery from what I have read, right?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking of doing a balance transfer with a credit card for 0% but that is only for 12 months. So the monthly would be much higher. I just rather not lose $650 right away from my account in case I need it for other things ya know.

As far as Gravity, I heard of that app I just wanted something baked into Nougat. I know Gravity uses a signifcant amount of battery from what I have read, right?

You'd be better off straight out financing with Google than doing a balance transfer - the doubled warranty on most cards requires the initial purchase to be made (and 100% of its cost funded) directly on the card, and Google's free financing is for longer.

As to those display functionalities, it's possible some may be baked into Nougat but simply not supported by the Pixels. Not sure.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You'd be better off straight out financing with Google than doing a balance transfer - the doubled warranty on most cards requires the initial purchase to be made (and 100% of its cost funded) directly on the card, and Google's free financing is for longer.

As to those display functionalities, it's possible some may be baked into Nougat but simply not supported by the Pixels. Not sure.

Yeah, I think Google financing is the way to go for me. I just don't keep my phones for very long which is why I usually don't do a 24-month finance, but if I can pay it off whenever I want then that is fine.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Google will do a credit check, which will ding your credit score a bit. Otherwise I say go with google financing. Credit cards charge interest, so unless you pay it off in full, you'll be adding more cost to the overall purchase. Whereas google is offering 0% APR and yes you can pay off anytime and sell the phone and recoup some of the cost.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I went this way. 0% fort he win :).

I plan to pay it off in a few months but this way I don't owe more from putting it on my normal CC.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think Google financing is the way to go for me. I just don't keep my phones for very long which is why I usually don't do a 24-month finance, but if I can pay it off whenever I want then that is fine.

That makes sense. If you wouldn't keep the phone much over a year the free extension of warranty doesn't really add value, as it's nontransferable.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I went this way. 0% fort he win :).

I plan to pay it off in a few months but this way I don't owe more from putting it on my normal CC.

Did you go with the regular size pixel? I can't deal with the lag on my s7 edge and I want a smaller form factor but that will give me the same battery life as the s7 edge (which is horrible since last update). I think the pixel can definitely accomplish that!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you go with the regular size pixel? I can't deal with the lag on my s7 edge and I want a smaller form factor but that will give me the same battery life as the s7 edge (which is horrible since last update). I think the pixel can definitely accomplish that!!

I went with the XL. I prefer larger phones.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I went with the XL, coming from a 6" Nexus 6. I haven't used the 'regular' Pixel, but in general reports seem to agree that battery life is ample, with the ability of the Pixel or Pixel XL to outlast the other being largely a function of how an individual uses the phone.

The notable difference between the Pixel and Pixel XL for you would be the resolution of the display. The Pixel's is still very, very sharp, and more than fine at that size for anything you'll normally be doing (you really wouldn't notice a 'lack' of relative sharpness unless you were viewing it side-by-side to a quadHD display), but if you are interested in using it with Daydream VR, the Pixel's 1080p display will have a much more noticeable 'screen door' effect, as well as a narrower field of view.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd put Gravity on. Actually have been using Ambi-Turner.

That said, according to this post, double-tap and lift are both being added under "Moves" in an OS update being rolled out now.

Wow that will be a game changer! So you basically downgraded in size too lol. I had an iPhone 6s plus which was awesome, but so cumbersome to use. I loved the screen real estate, but it was overall too large for me portability wise. So when I went to the s7 edge I was so shocked and impressed how they managed to get a 5.5" device in that small form factor. I still want to go even smaller, but maintain the screen real estate. I think 5 inch is the perfect size to use, and keep great battery life at the same time. I even had the s7 for a week but the battery life sucked, so went back to my edge.

I want something portable that I can stick in my pocket or use one-handed, and like I said maintain that same large screen battery life.

As far as the Quad HD vs. 1080p, I always had quad hd and from what I have heard the 1080p screen on the pixel is still great. I think that is one reason why the pixel gets almost the same battery life as the XL bc of the resolution, kinda smart if you ask me.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I went with the XL, coming from a 6" Nexus 6.

I'm currently using the nexus 6. How is the XL compared to the nexus 6 size wise? Do you find the XL to feel smallish in comparison? I recall when I got the note 3, every other phone seemed like a toy afterwards. But the Nexus 6 made even the Note 5 feel like a more "normal" sized phone to me. Thanks

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using the nexus 6. How is the XL compared to the nexus 6 size wise? Do you find the XL to feel smallish in comparison? I recall when I got the note 3, every other phone seemed like a toy afterwards. But the Nexus 6 made even the Note 5 feel like a more "normal" sized phone to me. Thanks

It's 5.5 vs 6.0, so definitely something you notice, but not that big a deal - I didn't mind it. It's nothing like the squish you'd get going from a 5.5 to a 5.0! The Nexus 6 is still a great phone, but the Pixel XL is a big upgrade in everything other than screen size and speakers (why, Google, WHY!?!).