5ghz wifi disconnect destroying my data??

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I am one of the unfortunate people who have this problem with the 5ghz wifi disconnecting. It does it continuously throughout the day. Half of the time its so fast to reconnect I dont notice.
The problem is that my 2.4ghz connection is horrible. When set to that, half of my devices dont connect. Its a brand new modem from our provider.
I share 1gb of data with my husband because data costs on my cell provider is outrageous. But when it disconnects, i guess its using my cell data. Since my month rolled over on the 29th, its used ten percent of my shared data, at HOME. This is brutal. I try to keep it turned off when I can but then i cant get or send MMS.
When will there be a fix for this? Thanks for any help or insight..

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If your phone works OK on 2.4Ghz, why not broadcast 2 different SSIDs from your router? You can then have a connection to the Pixel that hopefully will be maintained and your other devices will be happy.

lbjames231

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Are any other devices experiencing wi-fi disconnects? I know my mother's Galaxy Note 4 was having wi-fi connection issues similar to yours and it was draining her battery. I bought her a new router and it doesn't happen anymore.

If you have the means to do so, I would suggest returning the modem/router combo and just getting a modem from your internet provider, then buy a standalone router separately. That should eliminate the signal drops/poor reception that you're experiencing. Modem/router combo's are the worst.

If that is not an option, I would suggest resetting the modem/router and updating the firmware.

EDIT: You can also see if there is an option to turn off mobile data on the phone so that it only uses wi-fi. (Nvm...saw you already tried that.)

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
On the router, you can choose what channels you want you internet to connect to. That helps, since most devices have the same default channel, causing interference.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im not a big fan of the cable providers modem/wifi combos. They usually are lower end units.
As others have mentioned get a different higher quality wifi unit and downgrade to just a modem.
You mention your 2.4ghz connection is terrible. Co-channel interference? distance? why is it horrible? Have you gone in to try another channel?
What settings do you have for your security? I recompensed AES WPA2 for authentication.
Same questions with your 5ghz connection.