Loving Raise to Wake!!

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
My perfect Pixel is now even more perfect. I don't have to reach up for the power switch anymore with the 7.1.1 update. Raise to wake, double tap, etc. Man, this is a really, really great phone. Even Marquis Brownlee says it is his favorite Android phone, and you can take that to the bank!!

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
So does this activate every time you move the phone? (I'm still on 7.1, so I don't have the new features) I'm wondering how it can tell the difference between you picking the phone up, and the phone getting bounced around. Can it tell the difference between deliberate and accidental movement?

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My favorite is double tap screen to turn it on. For some reason, my Pixel C got the update but this feature isn't in 'moves'. Womp, womp, womp. I loved it on my Nexus 9.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
It seems that double tap screen only works when stock swipe lock screen is used. I tried some of my paid and In app purchase lock screen apps and no way 7.1.1 Moves; Quick Gestures works. Nevertheless it works perfect I don't use the finger print unlock at my Pixel XL cause it ask for a pin number constantly and I just want a swipe gesture and go on . So It's easy to double tap the screen and leave alone the power key. This Pixel phone it's not too friendly with third party apps, so I stop using my paid lock screen apps just for the double tap screen on that 7.1.1 brings. Years ago I bought the LG G2 , I think that the first one with the double tap on and double tap off screen was this LG G2.
b53bde3a3d9ec90b6482ba4557b7d6d7.jpg

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
So does this activate every time you move the phone? (I'm still on 7.1, so I don't have the new features) I'm wondering how it can tell the difference between you picking the phone up, and the phone getting bounced around. Can it tell the difference between deliberate and accidental movement?
Don't have a pixel, would like one, but it's been my experience that movement is the trigger tied to the proximity sensor. I've have phones with this feature and with phone in shirt pocket , I bend over and phone turns on when I straighten back up. Stays on till screen timeout setting is reached. Was annoying and putting phone in shirt pocket upside down solved the problem. Now when in pants pocket it's a different story, sitting, then standing phone is on. Maybe Google has this nailed better. If it's tied to the sensor which I would think it has to be then then yes, it will turn on whenever the motion is achieved. How long it stays on would depend on other settings like lock screen timeout. I prefer double tap for this reason and the pixel now has that option. Raise to wake is the most useful for me when sleeping and I want a quick time check, but double tap works nice as well.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

when it's in my holster,face in, the proximity sensor is keeping the screen off

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
when it's in my holster,face in, the proximity sensor is keeping the screen off

Don't have a pixel, would like one, but it's been my experience that movement is the trigger tied to the proximity sensor. I've have phones with this feature and with phone in shirt pocket , I bend over and phone turns on when I straighten back up. Stays on till screen timeout setting is reached. Was annoying and putting phone in shirt pocket upside down solved the problem. Now when in pants pocket it's a different story, sitting, then standing phone is on. Maybe Google has this nailed better. If it's tied to the sensor which I would think it has to be then then yes, it will turn on whenever the motion is achieved. How long it stays on would depend on other settings like lock screen timeout. I prefer double tap for this reason and the pixel now has that option. Raise to wake is the most useful for me when sleeping and I want a quick time check, but double tap works nice as well.

Thanks and thanks. I'm most worried about my commute, where me and the phone are being bounced around on a commuter train. The tracks are pretty old so the ride can be rough, and I've come straight out of my seat a few times. There's also driving on twisty roads, and also just being at work, where I always grab my phone off my desk whenever I leave my cubicle. Having the phone turn on every time I pick it up, I think that might eat up battery. I think maybe for me, double-tap would be the better option. Just not sure I want to unroot to have a single feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34