Where did Verizon suddenly find all the black Pixel XL 128GB?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else find it odd that all of a sudden VZW is filling orders for everyone that pre-ordered the PIxel XL 128GB back in October. There are many of us on here that shared the same story. We ordered between October 17th and 22nd and were told they would be shipped on 11/18, then 11/25, then 12/26, and most of us got emails last week that said so many people love this device that yours now won't ship till January 13th. Then, out of the blue, the next day we started getting charges on our credit cards and shipping notices. Mine arrives at my work this Tuesday.

Now, how is it that VZW was confident we wouldn't get them till 12/26, then 1/13/17, but somehow a day later they can send them now. Did someone find a ship in a harbor filled with crates they didn't know about? Are they going to come from Google directly? Or.....are we getting refurbs and we don't know it? Just seems like they were facing a huge public relations issue with people waiting 3 months, and all of a sudden a supply is found. I'm usually not into the conspiracy stuff, but there are a lot of people on these threads, plus articles in other Android publications, and people in my local VZW corporate store who say there are a lot of returns due to the signal and dropped call issues. Are we just getting these phones that others have returned? Is there a way to know for sure if the ones we are getting are new, untouched units? I live and work in a very urbanized and commercial area in Phoenix and there are Verizon towers everywhere. I need my phone for work, so if I start dropping calls (which never happens now) mine will be sent back right away. Not looking for trouble, just doesn't seem right that a company this large, that should have a good handle on their supply chain, was confident it would be another month before they would have stock, then the next day start shipping them like they have plenty.

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing they just make certain colors at the same time. Also I'm sure they had significant amounts of cancelled orders ( mine included ) that freed up some phones.
With all the sales they were pushing with the stock they didn't seem to have, I'm half expecting them to have a surplus of phones sitting around after they filled the orders they have left. Then another sale to try to get rid of them all. They had a good chance to get a foot in the Samsung sales door with the note 7. In my opinion they totally blew it with the pre orders. Google also messed up on their end with cancelled orders for no reason and issues with their credit system. But they seemed to clean up the mess a lot faster than Verizon.
Hopefully they'll get it better with the pixel 2, if they even go with Verizon again.

Don't get me wrong. I want the pixel to do well. I love my phone, and I love to try new devices. It just amazes me with such large corporations they forget the basics of communication with the customers.

Wow I went off on a tangent there. Sorry. /End rant

gsweinberg87

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else find it odd that all of a sudden VZW is filling orders for everyone that pre-ordered the PIxel XL 128GB back in October. There are many of us on here that shared the same story. We ordered between October 17th and 22nd and were told they would be shipped on 11/18, then 11/25, then 12/26, and most of us got emails last week that said so many people love this device that yours now won't ship till January 13th. Then, out of the blue, the next day we started getting charges on our credit cards and shipping notices. Mine arrives at my work this Tuesday.

Now, how is it that VZW was confident we wouldn't get them till 12/26, then 1/13/17, but somehow a day later they can send them now. Did someone find a ship in a harbor filled with crates they didn't know about? Are they going to come from Google directly? Or.....are we getting refurbs and we don't know it? Just seems like they were facing a huge public relations issue with people waiting 3 months, and all of a sudden a supply is found. I'm usually not into the conspiracy stuff, but there are a lot of people on these threads, plus articles in other Android publications, and people in my local VZW corporate store who say there are a lot of returns due to the signal and dropped call issues. Are we just getting these phones that others have returned? Is there a way to know for sure if the ones we are getting are new, untouched units? I live and work in a very urbanized and commercial area in Phoenix and there are Verizon towers everywhere. I need my phone for work, so if I start dropping calls (which never happens now) mine will be sent back right away. Not looking for trouble, just doesn't seem right that a company this large, that should have a good handle on their supply chain, was confident it would be another month before they would have stock, then the next day start shipping them like they have plenty.

I can't speak to where they are getting them but I can say that I've had a Verizon shipped Pixel XL 32 for about two weeks now and I haven't had a single dropped call.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Could have been held up in a container awaiting inspection. Maybe there were held up elsewhere? Other countries aren't so nice about transcontinental trade

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I order on 11/1. I always had a ship date of 12/9 and my phone shipped on 12/9. After reading the posts I was growing concerned but thankfully it shipped.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Like you, I'm more likely to accept some kind of a "conspiracy theory" explanation versus a "woopsie, they just didn't know" explanation...

So, here's mine - these are some of the phones they kept Best Buy from getting somehow...

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
But is there a way to tell for sure if the one you receive is new?

You've got to be kidding. No manufacturer like Google, Apple, Samsung, etc. will try and ship refurbs sold as new. You are super paranoid - there is no big conspiracy going on here. I'm in a manufacturing field and supply often shows up unannounced when it's coming from another country.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You've got to be kidding. No manufacturer like Google, Apple, Samsung, etc. will try and ship refurbs sold as new. You are super paranoid - there is no big conspiracy going on here. I'm in a manufacturing field and supply often shows up unannounced when it's coming from another country.

Selling refurbished as new would probably be illegal too.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Ok, sorry. I received my pixel xl 128 Tuesday and it certainly looks new and works great, with no dropped calls or signal issue.

onmyown

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I hope so too. But I'm not going to hold my breath. :'(

My shipping date is 1/06, purchased black Friday, with no update yet.

Using my wife's Pixel 32G, while I'm waiting for my XL 128G. Loving it so far. :D

Same here! Well, I mean, I'm not using your wife's pixel, but I ordered one on black Friday and I'm patiently waiting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech