No email push notifications

Kelington

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I've tried several email apps and the only way I'm able to get email notifications is through fetch. All email app notifications are set to push by default and nothing ever comes through.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? Thanks!

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I've tried several email apps and the only way I'm able to get email notifications is through fetch. All email app notifications are set to push by default and nothing ever comes through.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? Thanks!
Which email service are you using? Some do not push.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Battery -> [menu] -> Battery optimization and make sure your email app is in the "Not optimized" list.

See if that helps.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
For that past few months I haven't really been receiving Gmail push notifications. I turn battery optimization off on all my apps. I've been receiving my emails when I go into the app and refresh. 7 years ago, my BlackBerry was so reliable pushing my Yahoo email instantly. Google can't push their emails reliably to their own branded phones. That is just sad.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For that past few months I haven't really been receiving Gmail push notifications. I turn battery optimization off on all my apps. I've been receiving my emails when I go into the app and refresh. 7 years ago, my BlackBerry was so reliable pushing my Yahoo email instantly. Google can't push their emails reliably to their own branded phones. That is just sad.

Well, it is unfair to use Blackberry as a comparison; email was Blackberry's main reason for existing and everything about it from the device to BB's backend servers was designed for rapid email service.

Quick question: Settings -> Accounts -> Google. Is Gmail sync turned on?

Kelington

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Sure!

I had set up forwarding to my iCloud account since Apple's email app doesn't allow push for Gmail. Since all of my mail was going straight to the archive after being forwarded, there was nothing to notify for.

Alberta-Beef

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I just got the Pixel 3 weeks ago, switching from Blackberry, and my email notifications can take anywhere from 5 mins to 3 hrs. If I open and refresh my email account, they'll come through, but I don't want to keep checking my phone every 5 seconds. That's what notifications are for. I've been using my old BB on my wi-fi to alert me when emails are coming in at home, but that doesn't do me much good away from home. I've tried the suggestions in this post to see if my settings needed to be changed, but everything seems up to snuff. Not sure what to do. It's annoying...

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I just got the Pixel 3 weeks ago, switching from Blackberry, and my email notifications can take anywhere from 5 mins to 3 hrs. If I open and refresh my email account, they'll come through, but I don't want to keep checking my phone every 5 seconds. That's what notifications are for. I've been using my old BB on my wi-fi to alert me when emails are coming in at home, but that doesn't do me much good away from home. I've tried the suggestions in this post to see if my settings needed to be changed, but everything seems up to snuff. Not sure what to do. It's annoying...

This happened with me with my XL. Ultimately, I returned it (not b/c of this email problem) because I prefer the V20 for its 5.7" screen. With the XL, my notifications were hit or miss in terms of timeliness. Whenever I actively opened up my gmail app, I would see the emails.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Exchange for Gmail has been messed up with one issue after another all year. Gmail is supposed to be the premiere email app, but this year it's not living up to its reputation.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Today, for example. I transferred some money to someone around 2pm. Around 9pm I opened Gmail, swiped down to refresh, got an email from my bank from 2pm saying money has been transferred from my account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair