Google update for keyboard

geekeedee

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I got the new Gboard. I love the new always on NUMBER ROW on top! The number row in the old Google keyboard was a deal breaker for me and was the reason why I used Swiftkey for a long time. Now, I am switching back.

Another feature I like about Gboard is the option to use in ONE-HANDED mode, LEFT-HANDED or RIGHT-HANDED. Handy feature! :)

mackie8

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I found 2 keyboards on my pixel...

ed4785aa1658f254c38fc68dfac850ad.jpg

This one i cant put borders on the letters

2. 2nd one
I cant put the numbers on top

cecd2c8b34de197bf070e9d3a66bc73f.jpg

I like the number 2..
Is this the one they have updated?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am loving that Google search and the GIF option within the keyboard. The GIF is awesome for texting but the Google Search is pretty helpful at times. I am getting it into my muscle memory now.

Jim_Shu

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
It's been renamed Gboard in te Play Store. Search for Gboard and you should see that it says "Update". Just do the update and you're all set.

vazz98

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Love the new keyboard. Was seriously thinking of going V20. Although I don't know what keyboard that has. I also enabled the long press for symbols. Now it's perfect for me. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes... the official name is now GBoard. This is the same as the rebranded keyboard they pushed over to iOS a few months back. Not sure exactly why they bothered though.

But the new functionality is awesome... it allows for the dedicated number row that some have always been asking for. It supports mutli-language, the enhanced emoji and gif support, and how they integrated Google Search into the keyboard is really clever.

There are fewer and fewer reasons to bother with something like Swiftkey.

Swiftkey never beat swipe IMHO, because the accuracy of Swiftkey was garbage. I had been using the Google US (PC) version and liked it better than Swype and Swiftkey just because of number row. GBoard is the top of the food chain. It has no peers.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I am loving that Google search and the GIF option within the keyboard. The GIF is awesome for texting but the Google Search is pretty helpful at times. I am getting it into my muscle memory now.

I like the SEARCH, I suspect the gif thing is more of a gimmick, at least for me--I have better things to do! ;) -- but what is the point of the option where you click on the "G" and then icon with the finger on a square and it changes the keyboard area to a smaller size. Have you used it? If so, for what?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
but what is the point of the option where you click on the "G" and then icon with the finger on a square and it changes the keyboard area to a smaller size. Have you used it? If so, for what?

People with big phones and wee hands. That's single hand mode. I don't need it, I got big mits, but it makes typing single-handed easier for people with smaller hands.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
People with big phones and wee hands. That's single hand mode. I don't need it, I got big mits, but it makes typing single-handed easier for people with smaller hands.

I have big hands as well, but I love being able to use one handed. Again, one handed mode isn't new for the Google keyboard. I was using it before the GBoard update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084